I think we're done.....

Hey Top,

I’m sorry…it is possible I confused you with another poster here at the Think Tank. I thought your stores were doing a higher volume. I agree. This business is rough and it takes the Grace of God, excellent work ethic and people that take pride in you and your investment.

The best of Luck for you.

PD

Back to the original question you asked…How do you go about selling…

Find a good commercial real estate broker. Get your financials together, your inventory (equip) list together and go talk to a couple of people.

Like you we are/were in the same boat…we decided to “sell” found an agent. It was such a relief once we decided to sell and finally listed it. I guess I thought it would be quick since it was one heck of a deal…well here we are 2 months later and nothing. No offers, no real interest.

So in the meantime we have to keep on business as usual. But during this time we also realized we could not survive doing things the way we always have. We were exhausted. We immediately promoted 2 new “shift leaders” one for each store, started training them right away. We paid them 8 bucks an hour. They are college students who appreciate the raise and don’t mind the added responsibility. They are not going to be store managers but they can “babysit” and make sure things run smooth. They can enforce policies and procedures. We decided to take a MUCH NEEDED mini vacation, and planned that out.

Sure there were some bumps in the road the last two months but we work much less. Probably 30 hours a week less each. We have defined our roles as owners. I do paperwork and fill in when needed. My husband floats back and forth from the two locations and oversees both stores. We lost are store manager and the shift leader stepped right up. We still went on vacation. Returned and the place is still standing.

What I have come to learn is we cannot do it all. There is no quick fix. So even if you want to sell you still need to get things headed in the right direction. Start delegating everything and I mean everything. Set up procedures and systems they can follow. Do the schedule without you on it.

What is odd is last week there was a “looker” and it was kinda an odd feeling because we are in a different place right now than 2 months ago, not sure I really still want to sell, of course nothing panned out with the “looker” so we are still plucking away.

Delegating has been the key. Pull yourself away from the oven and maketable and run your stores. Right now they are running you. YOU SHOULD BE THE GM.

Your stores are doing good sales and you should be able to afford some shift leaders. Get em trained and trust your skills in training them. Expect bumps but take care of them and move on. Take a vacation.

The hardest part the last couple of months has been getting over the guilt and fear of leaving when things slow down or when I am not needed. I remind myself hourly that if I did my job they can do theirs.

As another poster says…
If you always do what you have always done you will always get what you have always got…which is exhausted so try something new it just might work.

Sorry so long,

Kris