Moving a 60 Hobart

We bought a 60 quart Hobart and have a pickup truck. We would like to start using the pickup instead of renting a big truck with a lift gate. If you are moving these type of things yourself, what do you use? Cherry Picker?

I have to move mine in a couple weeks and I am not going to mess around with it, I am going to rent a penske truck with a lift gate. The rental is only going to cost me around 70 bucks and it will be soooo much safer. Think of how much money you can loose if that mixer gets dropped, or worse yet dropped on you or someone else!!! I have a bunch of other equipment to move as well though so for me it really makes sense. Good luck with the move!

I just picked up a 60 qt Hobart in a van a couple weeks ago with just one other guy besides myself. It was no problem.

We backed the van up to the curb so the Hobart was a little bit higher. Then we just tilted the mixer into the van and slid it in – piece of cake!

Remember that the mixer is top-heavy. If you try to lift it with a cherry picker from the bottom, you’re almost certain to have a broken mixer. I’ve heard of people using a sling and lifting it from the bottom of the top section (behind the agitator arm as far as possible). I’d think you’d want to secure the sling to the back of the mixer as well so the sling can’t slide forward. In addition, I’d make sure that I had my longest agitator (dough hook?) attached just as extra protection against falling should the mixer slip. DO NOT STAND UNDER IT.

Remember, above all else, that it’s your mixer and if you drop it, you still own all the pieces. Is it really not worth the hundred bux to know that you aren’t going to kill your mixer? Also, if you do use a lift gate (as I’m suggesting), you need a guy to ride up with the mixer to keep it steady (again, top heavy issue) because the lift gates are often not silky smooth. Just starting and stopping the lift gate can give it a bit of a jolt.

We bought a 60 hobart on ebay and had to pick it up oursleves…If you can get a dolly under the mixer(not hard at all) all you need is a lift gate and you are money…It looks harder than it is and depending how far you are going the truck with a lift gate should not be that expensive

Hey guys, I sell pizza equipment; when you sell it, you have to know how to get it installed in one piece-or you won’t get paid! For what it’s worth, I’ve moved dozens of mixers, including Hobart 140’s. FIRST, the tilt forward and slide into a van(with a H-600 or L-800) is a pretty good solution; I removed one that a customer had somebody load into HIS van-not too bad. WARNING: strap it down or you may risk breaking your timer knob off, the gear shifter and/or the bowl raise handle. SECOND, a furniture dolly with heavy-duty wheels will usually fit under legs from left-to-right. You might need to put a couple short 2x4’s between the dolly and the mixer base to get the clearance off the ground(depending upon the size of the wheels.) Again, words of wisdom on the liftgate: have one man operate the lift, and one(preferably TWO) stabilize the mixer when it travels up or down into the truck. NOTE: be careful if you’re going to try to roll the mixer on the dolly up onto the lift gate; one man to push steadily and two others to stabilize it. CAUTION, roll it carefully because if you move TOO fast and a leg of the mixer or a wheel on the dolly catches something(it is top-heavy and) it is likely to go head over heels. MY PREFERRED method involves none of these; I have a pallet jack and a special Genie lift whose forks telescope in and out. I have two pallets made from 4x4’s and 2x8’s that I bolt M-802’s or V-1401’s to. Smaller ones I simply ratchet strap to these pallets with a 3" strap. The pallet is picked up with the Genie lift and lowered to the ground, then moved into position with the pallet jack. Once in place, the jack is removed and I bring in the lift, place a sling under the mixer’s transmission/motor housing, lift a few inches and lower it down once the pallet is removed. Hope this was helpful-I just cringe at the thought of turning a perfectly GOOD mixer into an assortment of SCRAP metal and assorted reusable parts. Good luck!

We just moved one about 10 days ago with a Uhaul. I’m guessing this is about similar height to the back of a pickup. We needed five guys - 4 on each of the corners and 1 in the back because it is very top heavy. We were able to lift and slide onto the back of the Uhaul without any problems.

VaPizzaMan

Geez, you guy must not have much time to go to the gym.

The last few 60qt’ers I’ve moved I just threw in the back of my pickup by myself. One time I hadn’t eaten my Wheaties that day and broke a little sweat, but still no problem… :wink:

Well, to be fair, I’d just finished the Iron Man Triathalon in first place, so my hands were a little slick from the sweat.

snowman Posted: Tue May 06, 2008 10:05 am Post subject: Re: Moving a 60 Hobart

Registered Guest wrote:
Geez, you guy must not have much time to go to the gym.

The last few 60qt’ers I’ve moved I just threw in the back of my pickup by myself. One time I hadn’t eaten my Wheaties that day and broke a little sweat, but still no problem…

Well, to be fair, I’d just finished the Iron Man Triathalon in first place, so my hands were a little slick from the sweat.

WAH.WAH,WAH, Digging deep for excuses! I carried mine home from the strongman competition after bench pressing my Smart Car, 11 times!

But seriously, I’ve helped Tommy B move a few mixers and his system takes most of the need for muscle out of it otherwise I would have been no help). Not that we all have a pallett jack and Genie lift sitting in our garage, but they can be rented at most any equipment rental place. Just make sure the mixer can’t fall on the cab of the truck, right Tommy :lol: :roll: :stuck_out_tongue:

Good information guys. I appreciate it. I will check into renting furniture equipment.

YEAH, Paul. Next time I won’t hit the brakes when a stupid driver cuts me off. Remember that I DID travel over 1200 miles safely-with a car hauler, too. But then again, you haven’t seen another 140 qt in the back of my pickup since, have you?

Hi Dewar

Just a suggestion:

You can tip a Mixer into a pick up or a van and have it lay flat, rather then upright, for transporting but drain the oil first.

You can move a mixer by clamping the bowl in place then crank the bowl down on to a bowl dolly until the base is slightly above the floor. You can then roll the mixer around on the dolly. Caution unit is top heavy use care when moving.

George Mills

I think I found a solution. Schedule a trip to the coast for a week and let the partner who is stuck behind figure it out! Bwuhahaha.

Guys, I picked up an old used M802 with no attachments.

I have a trailer that is 1 foot off the ground with a ramp gate. The mixer is strapped on a pallet on the ground.

I don’t have a cherry picker any longer. I am thinking putting something under the pallet to allow it to slide more easily (wheels?) and have 2 men holding it from tipping over, using a ratchet strap like a come-a-long to get it into the trailer. Any thoughts?

We could also just tip it, lay the head on something and drag it up with the ratchet. I am pretty sure a 3000# rated ratchet strap will drag 800 # dead weight no problem.

On an off topic - what sort of paint is the proper paint used to clean up an old mixer?

We just moved an M-802 with a couple steel pipes. Lean it back, get one pipe underneath and roll, putting a second pipe under 16 inches later and roll till the first pipe comes out. Move the pipe that came out to the front and continue. You can roll off or on a trailer with long ramps that are blocked up. Just be patient and it’s not all that hard.

No luck so far. Went to check out the mixer and it is on a pallet, up against a wall. I think We’ll need to rent a pallet jack to move it away. Thinking about come alonging it up the ramp but not sure if it’ll break the ramp or if there will be too much friction to move it. This one is REALLY old, and not sure if they made them heavier back then or what. Do these things really weigh 1000#?

Are you going to need to buy attachments?..Sometimes by the time you “scrounge” up attachments you get very close to the cost of a “re-furbished” unit…Have you done the math?..Some time even “free” stuff has a huge cost…Plus if your mixer crashes, it can leave you in a bad way…

It will be $1000 total by the time I move it, and that is with a purchase new SS bowl and agitator. The guy who “sold” it to me seems like an honest guy who used it in his bakery for 20 years (it was in the bakery when he bought it though) and upgraded to a 120 quart or something even bigger than this thing. If it dies on me I’ll still have a new bowl and hook so I am going to at least give it a try. :smiley:

I have moved my 60 qt mixer 8 times. I use a safe dolly from a locksmith and strap it to the lift gate then strap to the truck.
bubba