Continue to Site

?_Lehmann:

• Thread starter Thread starter system
  • Start date Start date
How far down in temperature would you go?

Also, I like the fried effect, do you know of what type of oil works best? And do you know of anything that adds a butter flavor to that fried effect? I tried a couple of ideas but it looses the butter flavor upon baking. Before baking you can taste the buttery flavor but after baking its gone. 😦

Thank you for the response.

MWTC

Last edited:
For temperature, I think I would try about 450 degrees F as a benchmark and go from there. If you’d like, you can also preheat your pizza stone as you have been doing (e.g., to around 500 degrees F) and bake your pan pizza (with the dressed pizza in the pan) directly on the stone. If you chose to use the pan, you might let the dough proof for about an hour before dressing and baking. That will give you added volume in the dough and should allow you to bake the pizza long enough to finish baking the pizza without getting an overly done bottom crust. This is very similar to what Pizza Hut and others do for their pan pizzas.

As far as oil and buttery taste are concerned, Tom may be a better one to answer those questions, but it seems to me that whether you use butter or oil in a home setting is a matter of personal preference. Butter is likely to result in a softer, less crispy crust so you may want to use the butter in the dough rather than in the pan. The oil for the pan can be just about anything, from olive oil (regular or light), canola oil, vegetable oil (soybean oil) or a blend. Some people seem to like corn oil, perhaps as a result of favorable experiences with deep-dish pizzas.

Thank-you for your input.

I’m off to the kitchen for some more experiments. 🙂

MWTC

Last edited:
Tom, Guest, Pazzo di Pizza,

I’m pleased to report that the suggestion of partial stone baking the pizza with a reduction of temperature did the trick. I baked on the stone for 3 minutes on a 475 degree preheated stone and then placed it on a screen on the next level up to finish it off. It needs more tweeking but it worked! 😃

I need to work with getting it to brown a little quicker. I’ll experiment with the use of honey, sugar or whey to achieve that effect.

Tom would you address the butter flavor issue in the pan baking of a deep dish pizza. I asked the question in one of the previous replies.

About using whey in achieving a quicker browning. How much would you recommend for 800 grams of flour?

Again, Thank-you all for the help 😃

MWTC

Last edited:
For a really rich flavored deep-dish crust try putting clarified butter in the pan rather than oil. It really compliments a whole milk Mozzarella cheese on the pizza too.
As for using whey, you will probably find that a level between 2 and 6% of the flour weight will do the trick. This translates to 16 to 48 grams for 800 grams of flour weight. To figure weights from bakers percent (percent based on flour weight) using your simple calculator, enter the flour weight, in your case it is 800 then press “X” and enter the percent (2) now press the “%” key and readthe answer in the display window. Example: 800 X 2 (press the “%” key and read 16 in the display window. Remember, the answer will be in the same weight units as you have shown the flour in. In this case the flour weight is shown in grams, so the answer is in grams. Pretty neat huh?
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Last edited:
Your welcome, glad I could help a little. Fun thing about experimenting is easting all the rejects. Even the rejects are better than Domino’s or PJ’s

Last edited:
Back