Continue to Site

Advice in dealing with Food Distribution Reps

60.png
bodegahwy:
Nick is right, you do have to take scale into account. When the price of cheese is 10 cents a pound better at one vendor or the other (happens pretty frequently lately with cheese moving the way it has) the difference is over $4 a case. I have seen differences as high as 25 cents a pound in the last 120 days. I buy nearly 1000 cases of cheese per year.
I can see why you shop nickels and dimes in that sort of volume. I’d think that finding a hungry account manager would be simpler. Though, I must admit that it is refreshing to hear that large operations have the same day to day stuff with reps and food service companies that we “little guys” do.

Last edited:
Nick, I am one of the little guys too. My volume is not enough to get structural price concessions of any real value. My understanding is that you need to get to around 4-6 stores and 1 million in food purchases to get any real traction.

Another way of looking at the question is as follows: If your net on sales is 10% (not counting a market wage for yourself) $1 in cost savings is worth $10 in sales. How much time and effort would you put in to get an additional $20,000 in sales? If the same time and effort could save you $2,000 in costs, your time might be better spent on the cost side of the equation… At the very least it bears some thought.

I agree about the hungry rep, but too often, they do not have control of the pricing. The rep controls the last few % points, most of the margin is under the control of the company and the broker reps the sell to them. Using tomato products as an example, your rep may have a dollar to play with, the company he works for might have another dollar. The broker company that sell the tomato product to sysco, US Food etc etc may well have $3. When I get a deal it is often 50 cents from the rep, 50 cents from the company and $1 from the broker for a total of $2. It takes a trip to a food show and some negotiation to get it.

Last edited:
Back