Continue to Site

Anyone use a Water Filter for your Ice Machine?

Integraoligist

Hey all,
For those of you that have your own Ice Machines… do you have a water filter for it? And if so, what kind and where did you get it?

I seem to have a lot of lime buildup in the ice machine lately, so I have to clean it much more often. Which is a PITA!

Thanks all!

Last edited:
We do have a water filter that ties into our ice machine, coffee machine and soda fountain. We use Ecolab, and they were able to supply us with the whole shabang. Works great!

Last edited:
very rarly do I do something smart but I put 2 filters in…one triple osmosis leading to the ice machine (lowes 50.00) and one to the soda machine…works Great

Last edited:
I don’t have a filter yet but I have been considering getting one. We also get quite the build up of lime in our ice machine. My concern was whether it would change the taste of my dough as I was going to filter all the water coming into the shop. Our water tastes great. Just filtering the soda and ice machine is a good idea.

Last edited:
well the filter is the least of my worries now. It stopped making ice totaly now, the thing dosent even get cold. I took the panels off and 1. the fan is not running anymore and 2. there is some type of oily sustance by the compressor area.

What would that oil be comming from?

Last edited:
the compressor and the fan will have an oil in it for lubrication…you have blown it…sorry…make sure that you clean ALL of your cooling equipment WEEKLY. You can also go to a home center and get some washable filters Blue or Green and place them in front of your evaps…take them off weekly and wash…and replace. The main reason compressors blow is that it is working tooooooo hard because the flour blocks the evap units…the unit has to work harder to get air…and then it blows.

NEVER use an air compressor to blow out your evaps…it will ONLY push the flour or dust into the evap and compress it and cause further problems. The best thing is to keep the unit running…spray oven cleaner into the evap…rinse with hot water.

Good Luck

Last edited:
i’ve had this Maniowic for just over 3 years… i just checked and the Compressor IS under Warrenty. WOOOOOO :oops:

I have it in a storage room, it gets about 90F in there because of the Ice Machine itself. I was planning on putting it in the cool restaurant area on Monday. LITTLE FREAKIN LATE FOR THAT!

Last edited:
Seeing compressor oil is not necessarily indicative of a compressor failure. Compressors usually fail because of a seize, and that won’t cause a leak. It’s more likely that you have a leak somewhere and the low-pressure cut out switch has disabled the unit to protect itself. That would also explain why your fan isn’t running.

Mandyspizza, are you referring to the coils that are easily accessible for cleaning? If so those are the condenser coils. The evaporator coils are internal and can be a big project to clean. The shouldn’t come in contact with much flour because only recirculated air should be flowing over them. I only point this out so somebody doesn’t think they need to clean their evaporator coils once per week. Once per year is more appropriate - most will be OK even if they’re never cleaned. It is important to make sure the evaporator coil is properly defrosting, however.

I’d also recommend against putting additional filters in front of your condenser coil. They’re going to restrict airflow beyond the design specifications of the unit and cause it to run hotter. Hotter oil will reduce the life of the compressor and make it the unit less efficient.

The compressor will not fail because it is working harder to get air - there is no air involved. It is a completely closed system and only compresses refrigerant. It is the increase in oil temperature that can cause compressor problems. The compressor doesn’t do anything with the air flowing over the coils.

Last edited:
when I worked at Pizza Hut, the city we were in had really horrible tasting water. So we contacted pepsi, they came out and put a filter on our ice machine and on our soda fountains. after that it was up to us to change both filters on the ice machine and the fountain machine. Once you get your ice machine fixed, contact your soda pop purveyor and ask them about the possibility of putting filters in place.

Last edited:
Water filtration is very important for an ice machine. Not only will it improve the taste of the ice, it will increase the life of the ice machine.

This is an excerpt from our education center:
Filtration
Remember, ice IS food. A quality water filter keeps your beverages tasting good and is better for your ice machine. Not using one might even void your ice machine warranty. Unfiltered water may lead to:
Bad or funny taste
Decreased ice production
Increased energy use
A shortening of your machine’s life
Some manufacturers reward owners who purchase a particular water filter, and replace it at required intervals, with a free extended warranty.

Last edited:
Well the guy called back on the ice machine… he said because they are so far away that it will cost the same in labor and repair (even if the compressor was broke, it’s under warrenty but not labor), and i’m better off to go buy a new one!

How in the F is labor $1800!?
errrrrrrrrrrrr

Last edited:
Well the guy called back on the ice machine… he said because they are so far away that it will cost the same in labor and repair (even if the compressor was broke, it’s under warrenty but not labor), and i’m better off to go buy a new one!

errrrrrrrrrrrr

Last edited:

errrrrrrrrrrrr

Last edited:
48.png
Integraoligist:

errrrrrrrrrrrr
That’s why I was hoping it was something other than the compressor. Labor is usually not covered on warranty repairs. $1800 seems a bit extreme though - it’s probably a 3 hour job. How far is he traveling!?

Last edited:
Hmm, yeah, we carry that model for less than the quote for fixing it that you got, including free freight. Probably wouldn’t make much sense to get it fixed at that cost… Are there any other authorized service guys in your area you can check with?

If you do end up deciding to replace the unit, I would be happy to help you get a new one. Let me know.

Last edited:
Your local HVAC company should be able to replace the compressor. The manufacturer should still honor the parts warranty.

Last edited:
Back