Continue to Site

anyone use full olive oil for dough

I will definitely let you know. The hood guy just came by today and gave me an estimate($6000). So I should be burning some pizzas in about a month. Hope to hear about Steves results soon.
$6000?!?!? How big is the hood? We put one in 2 years ago (with make up air) it was 17k!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
7’ x 6’. Its gonna be made of galvanized metal, not stainless steel :(. And no make up air. I did do a lot of looking around, turns out a freinds friend owns a mechanical co. $17,000 for a type 2 hood( no fire suppression needed)? That is a little on the high side.

Last edited:
7’ x 6’. Its gonna be made of galvanized metal, not stainless steel :(. And no make up air. I did do a lot of looking around, turns out a freinds friend owns a mechanical co. $17,000 for a type 2 hood( no fire suppression needed)? That is a little on the high side.
Ansul system was included as well in that price. 10x6

Last edited:
Hey Steve Thanks for letting us know how it went. I like the crispness. I would have thought the butter would have given a browner crust. Good looking Pizza.

Last edited:
What imitation butter did you use? Why not real butter? I’d never try baking with things like phase or similar stuff…

Last edited:
What imitation butter did you use? Why not real butter? I’d never try baking with things like phase or similar stuff…
Bunge Golden Award. It’s what I had here to use. Awesome product

Last edited:
I had thought the whirl and phase was butter flavored oil. I bet some real butter would be even better. That would be expensive and if you even slightly burned it would ruin the batch.

Last edited:
I had thought the whirl and phase was butter flavored oil. I bet some real butter would be even better. That would be expensive and if you even slightly burned it would ruin the batch.
Couple good brands to try. Glenview Farms from US Foods and Gold n Sweet from Sysco/other distributors. $28 for a 35lb case. It’s a liquid margarine and has good flavor, not those buttered flavor oils or anything. It’s important to run it thru your oven first and let cool for a few mins before using it as an oil alternative. Clarifies the butter and won’t make your dough soft in the end because clarified butter has a much closer consistency to oil than if your were to not clarify it. Big difference. And don’t mix the butter in with the water. You want to add all of your dough ingredients to the bowl first and then slowly drizzle in the butter as you start mixing.

Also, for what it’s worth, I notice the butter flavor in my pan and deep dish crusts and not so much in my thin. Thin crust still tastes relatively the same as when I was using oil.

Last edited:
Thanks Joe, I will be using US foods cause PFG does not carry Grande cheese. That sucks too cause PFG is 2 miles from my soon to be store. US foods is 3 hours away. So i will order some of the Glenveiw Farms liquid margarine. I was going to need a good liquid butter in my store anyway , whether I use it in the dough or not.
I was a little surprised when you said a few post back that you were using liquid butter, Because I thought Whirl was the best stuff going. I am a newbie. Maybe you cant taste the butter in the thin crust cause there is less of it.
Thanks for the dough tips I need and appreciate any help I can get. The dough is my biggest worry when it comes to the actual pizza. Because it is the only thing I will actually be making myself, and I have never done it before.

Last edited:
Just for the heck of, let me say my complete 12" inch cheese pizza recipe. Maybe someone might chime in. Any thoughts would be helpful.

Flour 100% All trumps general mills 14% gluten
Water 60% 60 degrees, Richmond water taste fine to me, should I use filtered or bottled water?
Sugar 02% just Domino’s I guess
Salt 1.75% no iodine salt, just cause I saw a video of John Arena making pizza and he said to not use it.
Oil 02% My first batch will be EVOO, then La peddela, then butter, and let friends and family try it.
IDY .0375% instant dry yeast or 85 grams for 50 pd bag (per Tom lehmann)

Using a 60 quart 3 phase 15 year old Hobart mixer. Put in the water then flour, salt, sugar, and IDY. Mix slow for 2 minutes, then add oil, then mix high for 8 minutes. At the end add a little oil to keep dough from sticking to bowl.
Size up dough @ 12 oz. Manipulate to get the air out. Set 6 pattys on cookie sheet and coat with EVOO, then tightly cover in plastic wrap. When I get busy enough I will buy a new reach-in so I can use dough trays
Allow to ferminate for 24hours, Then slap out on to peel. Add 4 oz Pizzaaiolo(Stanislaus sauce). Then 6 oz of Grande cheese. Scoot it directly to the stone of a 30 year old double deck Blodgett 960p set @ 550 degrees. cook 8 to 10 minutes, spin once. Box up on a perfect crust liner. Add a small packet of peppers and cheese.
My goal is to have the best pizza in Richmond, VA . I think my biggest road block to that is my dough will only proof for 24 hours, I have read many times (including on this thread) long fermentation(3 days) time is required for the best dough. But I won’t have enough refrigeration for all that starting out. Just a double door reach-in, 3 door prep line, and a 2 door worktop. I would like to get small walk-in in a couple of years.
What do you guys think?

Last edited:
1-3 days for yeast development. It’s never an exact science since atmospheric conditions change, employees can be faster or slower on making the batch & getting in he cooler, etc., but that’s the range.

Btw, we all have our limitations when starting out, but a walkin cooler makes a big difference in yeast/dough development. The new dough will cool faster and the consistent temperature produces a superior product. There really isn’t much difference in dough ingredients between different shops – flour, salt, yeast, sugar, oil . . . The biggest difference comes from how you handle & developed the dough.

Last edited:
Hey Pizzapirate, cool name. I never even considered the time making and sheeting as part the fermentation time. Thats a good tip.
I see what you mean on a consistent temp being important. I never thought of that either. That being said I can afford another one door reach-in designated just for dough. That would also allow mean the ability to use dough trays. There is gonna be a real learning curve on the atmospheric temperatures. thanks man.

Anyone use cookie sheets and plastic wrap instead of dough trays? I can see the benefit of both. The benefit of cookie sheets and plastic wraps is plastic wraps go in the trash and the empty cookie sheets stack up nicely to the size of one dough tray. At Papa johns and Domino’s we just pushed all the dough trays out the back door and the commissary washed them. So I would have all these big dough trays stacked in my 540 sq ft store, waiting to be washed or needing to air dry.
The benefits of dough trays it looks more professional. And it may have some proofing benefit over cookie sheet and plastic wrap I dont know of. ??

Last edited:
Back