Continue to Site

attn Doctor: cracker crust help

What you are seeking is the “Golden Fleece” of the retail pizza industry. I’ve spent the better part of my pizza career in trying to find a solution to putting pizza into a box, then a moon bag and having it steam itself to death. About the best advice I can offer you is as follows:
  1. make sure the pizza is being baked as long as absolutely possible, this might mean a different baking time and temperature for delivery (not easy to do).
  2. Use a matt and ripple sheet under the pizza to hold it up off of the bottom of the box to allow moisture to escape from the bottom of the pizza.
  3. Allow the pizzas to “steam off” for a couple of minutes before boxing to reduce the amount of steam in the box.
  4. My concept of a delivery bag is to have an insulated bag with the entire top of the bag a panel of Gore Tex. This will keep the pizza warm through insulation and reflecting heat back into the pizza while allowing moisture to escape the bag (that’s what Gore Tex does).
    Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor
Ok thanks Tom. I’ll try to let it steam off and am expecting Perfect Curst Liners this week. If that doesn’t fix it, I’ll scrap the deep dish for delivery

Last edited:
Joe;
Here you go.
Flour (strong bread flour) 100%
Salt 1.75%
Sugar 2% (optional)
Olive oil 2%
Corn meal 12%
IDY 0.4%
Water 68 to 70% (variable)

The dough will be soft when first mixed but it will improve as the corn meal hydrates.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor
Tom,

Would this recipe work well if I were to room temp ferment it for 24 hours after mixing. The reason I ask the original poster uses a little less than half the water you do.

Thank U!

Last edited:
Back