Continue to Site

beef

My meatballs are made (when I make them myself) with ground chuck and pork. Sirloin just isn’t supple enough . . . too much lean and not enough collagen, compared to chuck, even if fatty. AND, I aim for at least Choice grade over the general ungraded beef that can be Commercial or Utility grades. That may be where I cannot get the $1 a pound beef.

Old beef is cheap, but lacks texture and moistness. Not so much good for pizza. Just saying one uses “sirloin” is only a small portion of the story. http://meat.tamu.edu/beefgrading.html

We use a beef pellet at our place due to the sheer logistics. I am in the boat with bodegahwy that we put in the effort and dollars where the demand is. Sauce, cheese, chicken, cheese steaks sautéed to order. Beef topping isn’t one of our top 10 of 24+. So, we go with the best frozen product we can keep in the shop. It is not my first preference, but dollars talk. At this point in our game. We also use pre-made frozen meatballs. Volume is not high enough to warrant the effort to run my recipe for 15# a month. Labor would make the unit price out of line. So, we use a high quality, very popular ball for now.

Now, the pecan crusted rainbow trout we will serve on Valentine’s Night will be fresh, using ground GA pecans. The Spaghetti will have fresh avocado, diced tomato, jarred artichoke heart and baby corn, and EV olive oil. Smoked salmon crostini will have creme fraiche and domestic jarred caviar.

We all have our choices.

Last edited:
60.png
NicksPizza:
My meatballs are made (when I make them myself) with ground chuck and pork. Sirloin just isn’t supple enough . . . too much lean and not enough collagen, compared to chuck, even if fatty. AND, I aim for at least Choice grade over the general ungraded beef that can be Commercial or Utility grades. That may be where I cannot get the $1 a pound beef.

Old beef is cheap, but lacks texture and moistness. Not so much good for pizza. Just saying one uses “sirloin” is only a small portion of the story. http://meat.tamu.edu/beefgrading.html

We use a beef pellet at our place due to the sheer logistics. I am in the boat with bodegahwy that we put in the effort and dollars where the demand is. Sauce, cheese, chicken, cheese steaks sautéed to order. Beef topping isn’t one of our top 10 of 24+. So, we go with the best frozen product we can keep in the shop. It is not my first preference, but dollars talk. At this point in our game. We also use pre-made frozen meatballs. Volume is not high enough to warrant the effort to run my recipe for 15# a month. Labor would make the unit price out of line. So, we use a high quality, very popular ball for now.

Now, the pecan crusted rainbow trout we will serve on Valentine’s Night will be fresh, using ground GA pecans. The Spaghetti will have fresh avocado, diced tomato, jarred artichoke heart and baby corn, and EV olive oil. Smoked salmon crostini will have creme fraiche and domestic jarred caviar.

We all have our choices.
I could get Chuck for free…hmm maybe I will try to make meatballs with Chuck.

I do however add a lot of stuff to my meatballs that makes up for the leaness of the sirloin…(Egg, 3 cheeses, oil, butter, etc)

Last edited:
I just ran a report and Beef is #5 on my list of most ordered toppings.

Pepperoni
Sausage
Extra cheese
Canadian Bacon
Beef
Black olive

This does not count the combination pizzas that have beef, where my 3rd most popular has beef as well.

Works
Works on Steroids
Carnivore Combo

Last edited:
we use frozen our thing is we try to make everything as simple as we can theres enough daily headaches to deal with in fact everything from our dough balls to our toppings is frozen is there better pizza out there ? yes but in our neck of the woods it works for us. now my bbq on the other hand i refuse to use frozen meat get my meat fresh twice a week and right now running about 50/50 between pizzas and bbq. if i was in a more populated area i might not get away with the frozen toppings but with no competition around here i got the best pizza for miles 😃

Last edited:
60.png
thepassionofthecrust:
Works on Steroids
Carnivore Combo
Pony up, man. What’s on these two pizzas? I went to find your website, but didn’t find it. Those sound like fun . . .

I re-read Passion’s post about beef being #5. When we add in the beef that goes onto our meat-lover and works (8 topping) pies, it creaps into the top half . . . but just barely. Ordered as solo or in tandem with one other, it falls back down. It does surprise me since it is a good flavor and used to be popular . . . people are going after more chicken and combinations that include veggies these days.

Last edited:
60.png
thepassionofthecrust:
I have a pretty sweet hook up. I know a butcher who caters to the very wealthy and prides himself on throwing away everything not sold at the end of the day. So I talked him into selling it to me…I bought a new freezer and its full.
hmmm… you’re in Columbia, Tenn. …are you sure it’s not mule meat?

just kidding

Last edited:
48.png
NicksPizza:
48.png
thepassionofthecrust:
Works on Steroids
Carnivore Combo
Pony up, man. What’s on these two pizzas? I went to find your website, but didn’t find it. Those sound like fun . . .

I re-read Passion’s post about beef being #5. When we add in the beef that goes onto our meat-lover and works (8 topping) pies, it creaps into the top half . . . but just barely. Ordered as solo or in tandem with one other, it falls back down. It does surprise me since it is a good flavor and used to be popular . . . people are going after more chicken and combinations that include veggies these days.
Works = pep, sausage, mushroom, oniol, bell peppers, black olive.

Works on steroids = all the above plus green olives, fresh garlic, tomatoes, and bacon

Carnivore = pep, sausage, seasoned ground sirloin, canadian bacon.

Here is the Carnivore

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh17 … zza030.jpg

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh17 … zza019.jpg

Last edited:
Back