Continue to Site

Big Volume Questions

I don’t want to de-rail the OPs thread here or anything but just a quick question for you guys with such amazing (to me) turn around times.

Do you guys use conveyor ovens to put out product at that pace? My stone deck ovens at 550 degrees take 12-15 minutes and longer depending on busy times. Also how many ovens do you have in those locations to pump out that quantity?
I’m using a triple stack of Edge 60 conveyor ovens with a cook time of 6:15 and I think you’ll find the others in this thread are using conveyors as well.

Last edited:
For those of you that do high volume what would you say is most critical in developing and executing a high volume operation?

Last edited:
I think for me its having a great crew and a good manager/owner to navigate threw all the chaos and issues that arise when your selling 4k+ in pizza in a 3 hour window

It can get intense and im sure 314 and Pirate are doing more then that in product used due to the lower PPO

All of us on here that do any real volume run conveyors ( or at least 99% of us)
Its the only logical way to get a consistent product out the door in a quick fashion. I run MM PS360WB double stacks (40" belt) , which is close to a triple stack of 32" belts depending on what size pizzas you sell and how the orders come in.
Code:
We sell a lot of  18" pies and those suck in a 32" oven since you cant get 2 across , and when we are busy we can back it up for a while, I have considered a triple stack EDGE when they launch the EDGE WB

Last edited:
All of us on here that do any real volume run conveyors ( or at least 99% of us)
Its the only logical way to get a consistent product out the door in a quick fashion.

I am the 1% with a Roto-flex but looking to switch to Edge by the end of the year

Last edited:
I think for me its having a great crew and a good manager/owner to navigate threw all the chaos and issues that arise when your selling 4k+ in pizza in a 3 hour window

It can get intense and im sure 314 and Pirate are doing more then that in product used due to the lower PPO

Its the only logical way to get a consistent product out the door in a quick fashion. I run MM PS360WB double stacks (40" belt) , which is close to a triple stack of 32" belts depending on what size pizzas you sell and how the orders come in.
Code:
We sell a lot of  18" pies and those suck in a 32" oven since you cant get 2 across , and when we are busy we can back it up for a while, I have considered a triple stack EDGE when they launch the EDGE WB
Joker,

I’ve always been a MM fan myself. What is all the hoopla over the Edge and XLT ovens? Or why these two and not MM? Are new MM ovens breaking down quicker than the old ones used to?

I’ve used the MM PS220 and 570. Truth be told, I liked the 220 but had it for 12 years and needed an upgrade. The 570 has a different window and didn’t bake as well. For my first SF shop, I was just going to start with a used 360 and then upgrade when the time comes, but would love to hear your feedback on Edge and or XLT ovens, as I’m not experienced with either nor do I know anyone who is. Thanks guys!

Last edited:
I’m leaning towards edge coming up mainly because MM are fuel hogs and in theory the edge ovens will pay for them selves in Enegry savings in 5-7 years

And they have a nice warranty and are quiter and easy to work on

I burn about 400-500 gallons a month of propane in my mm360wbs

The edge should be 30% Less

Last edited:
When we do volume, we sometimes place the hand tossed on silicon baking paper, on a circle and dressed & in a box, stacked & ready to bake…

With two on the cut table and one putting the dressed pies in, we can asily do 120+ pies/hour, even on old MM 360…

We bake right on the parchment paper, as we don’t have 500+ screens anymore…

Last edited:
We are a pan pizza and I have like close to 600 pans. And I need more

On a busy day we have to make dough morning and night. When we stack all the pans it’s a sight to see they take up alot of space when proofing

Last edited:
rgjujitsu - you should try an mm oven with a hearth bake belt, you wouldn’t be able to tell the difference to a deck oven if you were blind folded!

How long does your dough take to proof jokergerm. I’m guessing you portion and roll it into the pans straight out of the mixer?

I think our dough portions are a lot smaller in Oz, our woodfire shop uses 180g dough balls for a 12" and we do a 13" using 300g balls in our conveyor oven shop. I’m guessing from your profile pic that your dough balls would be a lot bigger for the equivalent size pizza.

Dave.

Last edited:
We are at 340 grams for a 12"

560 grams for a 15"

And 860 for a 18"

The dough proofs for around 1.5 hours depending on room temp

Last edited:
Back