Continue to Site

Calzones

Our 'zones have toppings, riccotta and mozz. 12" dough thrown to about 14" and then trimmed back to 12", ingredients inside, fold into half moon, roll the edges, cut vents, bake, brush with garlic butter, sprinkle with parm, serve with side of pizza sauce.

Stombolli are rolled rather than folded, do not have riccotta but do have bannana peppers, otherwise very similar.

Last edited:
I grew up about 90 miles north of NYC.

Calzones were half moon shaped with ricotta, mozz and your choice of topping(garlic and ham was my favorite).

Strombolis were rectangular and usually had sausage, peppers, onions and sauce.

FUGGETABOUDIT.

Last edited:
60.png
snowman:
dewar:
And in Texas, no one really knows which is which or what they should be. So we are gonna come up with our own name.
The headless armadillo?
Pizza=

http://www.scsc.k12.ar.us/2002ArkNatHist/Projects/ArnoldL/Images/Armadillo_dead_a02.jpg

Stromboli/Calzone:

Last edited:
I was fortunate enough that my step father was in the military. We were stationed in Tuscany, Livorno Italy. When I was a youngster ordering a calzone it would come with a touch of sauce inside and when the toppings were added and the top closed they would put just a touch of sauce on top. Then they would slide it into the wood fired oven.

This Christmas I was blessed enough to go to Italy again. This time we went to Venice, we stayed in Aviano Italy which is in the province of Pordenone. I found the closest pizzeria and ordered a calzone hoping that it would be as I remembered it as a youngster. The pizzeria owner lightly sauced the inside and the top.

I have eaten a ton of pizza in the US, but I don’t think that I have ever eaten a calzone though. Just thought that I would give my 2 cents on how they do it in Italy.

Last edited:
Back