Continue to Site

Cheese Prices

I’m curious if the Wisconsin cheese is the same price as California cheese. I’m not even sure we can get even Grande out here. My supplier carries a brand or two of Wisconsin cheese and I think its around 20 cents higher per lb. I was under the impression that it was higher priced because of the shipping cost.

Last edited:
My first pizza job was in 1978. At that job (Knowlton’s in St Paul MN) the owner told me one thing that I remember today and still believe is true: Sauce is the number one component in pizza taste and cheese is the number one factor in pizza cost. Later the same year, I went to work for Domino’s (Store 1902) and a few years later for Green Mill and still later for a pizzeria in Berlin, Germany all before opening my first store and buying a second 16 years ago. All these years later, I still believe that guideline to be true. I would add that I think our dough plays a larger role in the overall experience than the cheese does too.

We tend to sell a lot of pizzas with 4-5-6-7 toppings and put a lot of effort into a sauce all of which tends to hide the flavor role of the cheese. Perhaps if we sold a lot of plain cheese pizzas or even single topping pies I would feel differently about it?

Looking forward to the price continuing to drop to the levels some others are already paying!

Last edited:
I’m curious if the Wisconsin cheese is the same price as California cheese. I’m not even sure we can get even Grande out here. My supplier carries a brand or two of Wisconsin cheese and I think its around 20 cents higher per lb. I was under the impression that it was higher priced because of the shipping cost.
The difference in price on Wisconsin cheese is mainly going to be shipping. Being as you are in California, you will see minimal shipping costs compared to Wisconsin cheese. As far as you earlier post of the same label of cheese changing characteristics when produced at a different plant, we have noticed the same. Saputo manufactures the same label at a Wisconsin plant, California plant and formerly at a Maryland plant. Each one cooked differently, had different browning characteristics and tastes differently, despite being the same brand, same label. I guess the differences are from the milk coming from different regions.

Last edited:
The difference in price on Wisconsin cheese is mainly going to be shipping. Being as you are in California, you will see minimal shipping costs compared to Wisconsin cheese. As far as you earlier post of the same label of cheese changing characteristics when produced at a different plant, we have noticed the same. Saputo manufactures the same label at a Wisconsin plant, California plant and formerly at a Maryland plant. Each one cooked differently, had different browning characteristics and tastes differently, despite being the same brand, same label. I guess the differences are from the milk coming from different regions.
I paid 2.13 for WM WI Saputo. Saputo also had a VT plant before it burned down a while back. I always check plant#'s on the label to make sure I get WI…sometime they run out and sub CA or MD and you can tell the difference. (#141 & 165 = WI, 120 = MD, 188 = CA)

Last edited:
we paid 1.73 for Battaglia brand cheese this week.almost a buck a pound cheaper compared to a few months ago!

Last edited:
Back