Continue to Site

Conveyor over -vs-deck.How much different will it makemypies

misteroman

I decided ahile back to go w/ conveyors when I open up my new place.My buddy that had my pizza back when I had a place 10yrs ago said it will taste nothing like my old one if I use conveyors.Everyone in the area that has a similar pizza as I had uses decks.Am I making a mistake by trying to do this in a conveyor?I will be buying either Linc 1450’s or MM 360’s that will be refurbished.
Will I be able to set them up to cook my pizza?Should I cook on a pan like I used to in the deck vs a screen?
Thanks again.
Derek

Last edited:
Re: Conveyor over -vs-deck.How much different will it makemy

Do you think all the other guys cook on decks b/c they enjoy the extra work and all the burns on their arms? I am definitely biased (I have owned both decks and conveyors) but there is definitely a difference between a consistently mediocre pie from a conveyor. I have found my Rotoflex to be the best of both worlds

Perry:
Do you think all the other guys cook on decks b/c they enjoy the extra work and all the burns on their arms? I am definitely biased (I have owned both decks and conveyors) but there is definitely a difference between a consistently mediocre pie from a conveyor. I have found my Rotoflex to be the best of both worlds
I have owned both myself.

The question to ponder is why are conveyer belt owners always looking for a way to make their pizza taste/look/cook like a deck oven and deck oven uses NEVER ask how they can make their deck ovens make a pizza that taste/looks/cooks like conveyor belt ovens???

Last edited:

If deck ovens produced a more SELLABLE pizza, don’t you think Dominos, PH and PJ would be using them?

Why is the question always “which oven makes the best pizza”?

I don’t know the stats, but I’d be willing to bet that more pizza’s are sold from conveyors than decks. And isn’t that what we are in the business of? Selling pizza?

Anonymous:
If deck ovens produced a more SELLABLE pizza, don’t you think Dominos, PH and PJ would be using them?

Why is the question always “which oven makes the best pizza”?

I don’t know the stats, but I’d be willing to bet that more pizza’s are sold from conveyors than decks. And isn’t that what we are in the business of? Selling pizza?
But those stores are all about volume not really about quality.As long as they can get a ok pizza out in 5 mins for $6 that’s all they care about.I’m sure most PJ,PH or domino owners don’t think they have the best pizza in town.
----->So what I’m wondering is will my pizza that I made for 2 yrs in the past,be able to be cooked in a conveyor and taste similar?
Keep in mind that 50-60% of the time I will not be there so thta’s my main reason for going with the conveyor.
D

Last edited:

You can get a decent pie from a conveyor, but…

get some good hard coat disks from Pizza Tools…expensive, but will far outlast screens…

Decrease conveyor speed & oven temp…just because you can cook a pie in 5 minutes, doesn’t mean you have too…

Experiment with your recipe/oven times/temps/finger arrangement till you get the bake you seek…I prefer additional fingers along the bottom…

Remember, as soon as you put it in the box, it suffers just like those out of a deck oven

I really can’t compare from my experience as we have a MM conveyor oven and I have never used a deck one, although I have eaten plenty from all types - conveyor, deck, rotorflex and woodfired.

My daughte’s partner has a deck oven and does nice pizzas, but he prefers my pizzas to his. But saying this I don’t eat mine as after making them night in night out I begin to eat it and lose interest. Maybe him eating mine is different to eating his own.

On the quality issue I can’t say that conveyor ovens are lesser quality. Ours are known in our area (and surrounding areas) as the best pizzas around. Other outlets around us have deck, conveyor or rotorflex but we get customers coming from far away (close to these outlets) to buy ours because they say we have the best. Ours look great, taste good we can even get them to look like wood fired. Some people who have ordered for delivery and then when they come into the store and see that we don’t have a word fired are surprised at the quality we push out.

Maybe it is the sourdough we add to our dough mix or the longer cook, lower temperature we cook at. We put ours through at 254 celscius for 7 minutes.

Not being an expert but hearing what our customers say and the new customer referals we get I think we must be putting out pretty good pizzas in our conveyor oven.

Dave

Last edited:

In my pizzerias I used deck ovens (1978-1987)…I planned a trip to Lincoln and learned all that I could about conveyors…yelp by the time I left, I bought 2 of them back in 1987.
I used conveyors for almost 20 years (1987-2005) just because it was convenient…no burning or undercooking pies it was great but my pizza did suffer and I too was always looking for ways to enhance my pies.
Long story short since reopening just 1 month ago I’ve been using decks ovens…OMG there is no way a conveyor can give you that kind of product 😃 I was really scared at first but within a week I was back into the routine.
If you have a friend in the industry that uses a conveyor test your pie in their conveyor before you buy because a conveyor is all about quanity not quality.

Last edited:

Bottom line…

My name is on the line and I will not sacrifice quantity for quality. That’s what you are doing when you sell microwavable pizza(conveyor pizza) for quality(deck ovens)

Last edited:

As far as whether your pizza will be the same, absolutly not. Will it be better or worse, just a matter of opinion and skill. I’ll put my pizzas up against anyone cooking on decks, in the busiest times of the day. My feeling is that anyone can cook A great pizza on decks, but no one can cook a a quantity of great pizzas like I can through my conveyors.

Last edited:
60.png
paul7979:
As far as whether your pizza will be the same, absolutly not. Will it be better or worse, just a matter of opinion and skill. I’ll put my pizzas up against anyone cooking on decks, in the busiest times of the day. My feeling is that anyone can cook A great pizza on decks, but no one can cook a a quantity of great pizzas like I can through my conveyors.
I’ll take your challenge.

You are repeating words that others have coined. You can NOT make a pizza better with a conveyor oven than you can with decks…PERIOD!!!

Last edited:

I’m not saying I’ll make A pizza better, I’m saying I’ll make every pizza better in the midst of a 100 pie hour.

Last edited:

My point is that decks cook great pizza until capacity and skill exceed demand. At that point, the point when a business serves the most customers, generates its most income, and influences the most opinion on the quality of its product, conveyors will outperform decks.

Last edited:
48.png
pizzatime:
Bottom line…

My name is on the line and I will not sacrifice quantity for quality. That’s what you are doing when you sell microwavable pizza(conveyor pizza) for quality(deck ovens)
microwavable pizza - get a grip!

I’ve plenty of pizza operators in my area using deck ovens who produce crappy (barely even round) pizza, with crappy cheese, frozen toppings and they struggle with a 20 pie hour.

My name is over my door also and conveyor pizza’s seem to sell very well for me.

guest:
60.png
pizzatime:
Bottom line…

microwavable pizza - get a grip!

I think he has already and really hard. :lol:

My name is over my door also and conveyor pizza’s seem to sell very well for me.
Same with me

Last edited:

I started selling conveyor ovens over twenty years ago. Everyone was using deck ovens.

We have done hundreds of demos for some of the most particular operators in the industry and never failed to bake pizzas to the perfection those operators required.

Buddy’s pizza in Detroit MI is consistently voted the best pizza in the Metro area and they use conveyors. That’s just one example. There are hundreds of others.

There is a herd of advantages to conveyor ovens over decks. Many delineated in this thread.

George Mills:
I started selling conveyor ovens over twenty years ago. Everyone was using deck ovens.

We have done hundreds of demos for some of the most particular operators in the industry and never failed to bake pizzas to the perfection those operators required.

Buddy’s pizza in Detroit MI is consistently voted the best pizza in the Metro area and they use conveyors. That’s just one example. There are hundreds of others.

There is a herd of advantages to conveyor ovens over decks. Many delineated in this thread.
As I beat my head on the wall with this post, You can NOT bake a better pizza in a conveyor belt oven- I am not one sided, I own both in other locations under different names and different concepts that some of you on this board compete against. Go ahead and don’t let the facts get in the way.

Last edited:

LOL. This is such a silly argument.

Who determines what is “better” anyway? Only the customer. For anyone to say that pizza from a deck is better than a conveyor, well, that’s simply their one and only opinion.

It is obviously not the opinion of hundreds of thousands of other people who choose to eat pizza from a conveyor everyday.

we have a middle -b marshaal oven , i grew up using a folds oven , conveours are fast and this is our only compaint from our customrs , but our pizzas are the best in town and we can cook24 pies at onece . this oven has 6 selves and rotates like a ferris wheel , our gas bill stays a t a 250 to 275 a month , unreal huh, but our oven takes up space , its 8ft wide by six fott wide by six feet tall , its a bigun, but efficent , and cooks evenly, trust me if you can afford one thier the best , :!:

we have a middle -b marshaal oven , i grew up using a folds oven , conveours are fast and this is our only compaint from our customrs , but our pizzas are the best in town and we can cook24 pies at onece . this oven has 6 selves and rotates like a ferris wheel , our gas bill stays a t a 250 to 275 a month , unreal huh, but our oven takes up space , its 8ft wide by six fott wide by six feet tall , its a bigun, but efficent , and cooks evenly, trust me if you can afford one thier the best , :!:

Back