Continue to Site

Credit Card Fees

We did not take them for the first 12 years we were in business. Eventually, my crew told me we were losing a couple of orders a night from callers who cancelled when they wanted to pay by card. Made that decision pretty easy. For quite a while it ran about 30-40% of sales. But, in recent years the % has grown every year. In the past year it finally got so high we could no longer pay out the tips received in cash because some days there was not enough cash receipts to do so without drawing down the till. Now we pay CC tips on the paycheck.

I still hate the fact that we are forced to pay the marketing expenses of the card issuer in the form of the “points” they give away. It is total BS.
Don’t forget about “Small Business Saturday” and that whole sham AMEX throws out there. Total BS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
They charge for the paper are they serious because they don’t make enough money off of you already lol. I don’t believe my bank is charging for that yet. Tomorrow I will be speaking to my processor as I requested a rate review I will lay out what I am looking for and see if they can meet my needs or I will be walking. I mean at the end of the day it’s not like they provide a specialty service and they know that. It’s all about the price. I now have free time and I am analyzing all the aspects of the business to cut costs. A few months ago I switched to Internet phones and cut $80 from my bill I now have integrated online ordering and that costs a flat fee of 80/month so I didn’t essentially add a monthly cost. My next hurdle is my supplier I started the talks last week and saw a slight decrease not enough to make a dent but I have contacted another supplier and will also be contacting sysco for pricing. My brother drives for them so he spoke to a rep on my behalf and I am supposed to get a good deal we will see…got to start putting more $$$ in my pocket sick of paying through the nose for everything.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Our bank just started charging us for the paper rolls for coins when we go to get change. That in itself is ridiculous.
So did mine and i’m livid! I fight it out with them every time i go in there…“this isn’t a currency exchange, its a bank and a bank I do a lot of business with. the currency exchange is closer than you guys are. I should start banking with them.”

Last edited:
So did mine and i’m livid! I fight it out with them every time i go in there…“this isn’t a currency exchange, its a bank and a bank I do a lot of business with. the currency exchange is closer than you guys are. I should start banking with them.”
I just talked to them today to see why we’re being at charged at one location and why it was waived for the other. If they don’t lighten up on some of their fees they’ll lose our business altogether, which isn’t just the banking portion, it’s the merchant services (which I’m going to start looking into as time permits)

Last edited:
I just talked to them today to see why we’re being at charged at one location and why it was waived for the other. If they don’t lighten up on some of their fees they’ll lose our business altogether, which isn’t just the banking portion, it’s the merchant services (which I’m going to start looking into as time permits)

do it! im happy with vantiv and i hear heartland is just as good…they all do the same thing really. just font get sucked in to a company that’s a third party to a third party for a third party of an exchange…they are the ones with direct access to the credit card companies and will give you the best deal. your bank is more than likely a third party.

Last edited:
do it! im happy with vantiv and i hear heartland is just as good…they all do the same thing really. just font get sucked in to a company that’s a third party to a third party for a third party of an exchange…they are the ones with direct access to the credit card companies and will give you the best deal.
I’m all for trying to get the best rate and like the strategy of CC’ing all the companies. I’m going to try this in the near future, I hate giving away money.

Last edited:
We use our bank as well, we process an absurd amount of credit cards each month. Our bank just started charging us for the paper rolls for coins when we go to get change. That in itself is ridiculous. After reading all these posts I’m going to contact some merchants soon and hopefully start cutting some costs.

If you process an absurd amount of cards, you should easily be able to negotiate great rates…depending on what your definition of absurd is of course. I’d definitely try though because even a small change makes for big bucks for guys who process a ton of business.

Last edited:
If you process an absurd amount of cards, you should easily be able to negotiate great rates…depending on your definition of absurd is of course. I’d definitely try though because even a small change makes for big bucks for guys who process a ton of business.
I need to just set the time aside to do it. Once I do, I’ll post my results

Last edited:
Just wanted to chime in with the findings of my research of credit card processing companies. I came across a company called Fattmerchant that charges a monthly membership fee ($99)+ interchange + 8 cents a transaction (and if you are a Dining Alliance member, it is only 5 cents a transaction so I am going to look into this) with NO CONTRACTS! At first I thought this was simply a ploy to get the consumers attention only to have a bait and switch of sorts but after speaking with a rep, this is actually correct. After running a cost analysis myself, we will save well into the thousands by switching. Has anyone heard of experiences with Fattmerchant? It seems there is only 1 other processor operating under the same membership model so hopefully this changes the credit card industry for the better.

Last edited:
Back