Continue to Site

Desserts

I’m laughing as I type because I guess when we are “creating” we just do it a bit different…we throw it together and go from there tweeking as things go on.

For a 16" we use the whole box. We put the mix in a crock and stir in the melted marg. You want it to be thick like oatmeal but smooth not clumpy. (Make sure the mix is mixed and not little balls of powder) It will be about a 1/4 inch thick on the dough. We use a pizza spatula to spread it out (and our fingers) We use 2 cans of pie filling.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Don’t know if I mentioned this it is yellow cake mix.

If you don’t have pie filling it is good with chocolate chips too.

Last edited:
I tested it out today…on a 10 inch that we stretched to about 12…it was pretty good, but the canned pie filling is very expensive…what are you charging for your 16 that you use 2 cans of filling? I drizzled with icing too…I was also thinking a streusel topping would be good.

Last edited:
Yes laura that is the catch…it is expensive that is why we no longer have it on the menu. We have gone to cheese cake. I am sure someone here will have a creative idea to make it more affordable.

Last edited:
Kris, Thanks for the extra details for the, uh…detail-imagination challenged! 😃

I’m going to give this a try at home. I like your idea about subbing in the chocolate chips. I might even try drizzling that with Nutella and icing.

Last edited:
48.png
Kris:
Yes laura that is the catch…it is expensive that is why we no longer have it on the menu. We have gone to cheese cake. I am sure someone here will have a creative idea to make it more affordable.
NOW she tells us! Pizza Te@se! I’m still going to try it. I got a good deal on Musselman’s Apple Pie filling in #10 cans. We use it for some pizzas and other secret applications for the staff. Could work out okay. We’ll also try some fresh sliced apples and pecans as an experiment.

Seems Te@se is a censored word here, too. Go figure.

Last edited:
48.png
Kris:
NOW she tells us! Pizza Te@se! I’m still going to try it. I got a good deal on Musselman’s Apple Pie filling in #10 cans. We use it for some pizzas and other secret applications for the staff. Could work out okay. We’ll also try some fresh sliced apples and pecans as an experiment.

Seems Te@se is a censored word here, too. Go figure.

Last edited:
When you start moving dessert pizzas - consider jumping to the filling in 18# buckets…when I was doing those, I used a H & H brand diced donut filling in a 5 G bucket…the product is much better (IMHBCO) and lasts 4ever…more fruit vrs syrup & a better cost/oz.

Last edited:
See I knew someone would have a good idea! :lol:

We also used to buy bulk yellow cake mix which helped with the cost. We would make up a batch and keep it in the cooler for several days.

Last edited:
Tom,
Thanks for the information. I did try the fruit pizza on Tuesday and it worked well. I posted a picture on pizzamaking.com under newbies under my thread that Peter is helping me to make my pizza. Your suggestions of fruit sounds good. I am going to also do that this week and add another kind of dessert pizza. I am trying to think what other kind I will use.
Thanks, Norma

Last edited:
Did anyone ever try using a product called Fruit Fresh from Ball? When using fresh fruits that tend to brown quickly, you can just sprinkle on some Fruit Fresh and stir the fruit around. This product has been useful to me when freezing peaches and keeping bananas in a fruit salad fresh looking, with out the browning.
Norma

Last edited:
Norma;
Fruit Fresh is just a form of ascorbic acid. The acidity blocks the enzymatic browning of certain fruits such as apples, peaches, and bananas. If you want to acomplish the same thing, but at a lower cost, you can put a squeeze (that’s a very precise amount) of Real Lemon or squeese a slice of whole lemon into a quart of water and get the same results. In either case, they all work well. I like to use it when I make my fresh fruit dessert pizzas.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Last edited:
Tom,
Thanks for the advise. That sure sounds a lot cheaper. I did it that way many times with fresh lemons, but never knew what the ratio of lemon to water was.
I have been having success with your NY Style Lehmann dough in making pizza, bread sticks, cinnamon twists, and garlic knots. Customers really like the taste of your recipe for the dough. Any product I make out of your dough recipe, turns out well.
Norma

Last edited:
Norma;Thank you for the update. I’m glad to hear the dough formula is working well for you. When using fresh lemons, I’ve found that 1/4 of a large lemon squeezes into a quart of water seems to work well. Interesting story: Last year we had an abundant apple and peach crop from our trees, we always dry our fruit, especially the peaches, they’re great! We had some Fruit Fresh left over from the previous year so we started out using that, but when it ran out we tried to buy more, none was available, anywhere. It seems the manufacturer under estimated the fruit crop last year and they ran out, So I read the label and saw that it was nothing more than ascorbic acid, so we used lemon juice as our source of acid and went right on making dried apples and peaches. We had a couple lemons in the fruit drawer in the fridge so I thought I’d use them up too, that’s where I found that 1/4 of a large lemon works well too. I tried a squeeze of Real Lime too, but the flavor didn’t seem to be as good as it was with the lemon.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Last edited:
We sell fried dough. Cut up dough into rounds throw into fryer sprinkle with powdered sugar or cinnamon sugar. Sell for $3.75. You can even stuff the dough with pie filling for some extra money.
Sofo foods has banana lava cakes for $.32 cents each, yes thirty-two cents each. They sell for $2.99 each or whatever. They are fantastic!

Last edited:
what’s the brand or manufacturer info on that banana lava cake? Or is it their house label somehow? I am now curious to find it 🙂

Last edited:
Tom,
Thanks for sharing how you decided on using the real lemons to keep your fruit from browning and how much lemon to use in the water. I used to make fresh peach lemonade at a funnel cake stand I owned last year and I tried to add lemon to the peaches before I froze them, but they still got brown. I guess I had used the wrong amount. The Fruit Fresh kept the peaches the same. Fresh peaches are soon over here, but I will try your method this week on some apples.
I never have tried drying fruit, but that also sounds like something interesting to do.
Norma

Last edited:
GeorgiaPizza,
That banana lava cake sound delicious. Sure could try one of them right now.
Your idea of putting fruit in the pizza dough sounds great, too.
Norma

Last edited:
Back