Continue to Site

Did You Know You Can't Require ID on CC Transactions?

• Thread starter Thread starter system
  • Start date Start date
Registered Guest:
I think you are missing a major point here - asking for ID is not against the rules. Refusing to accept the card because a customer won’t show ID appears to be against the rules - two totally different things.
Exceptional point, RegGuest. It is the basis for my ‘policies’ venture. I ask for the ID when the card is presented (prior to the swiping of said card) . . . . and hopefully have some clever way to dodge the whole transaction as laid out in this supposed policy statement I will have.
Registered Guest:
There is absolutely no way to win this game.

Just take the card, don’t worry about signatures, etc. The few chargebacks you will get are not worth all the hassle of trying to do things the “right” way.
Even more truthful than anything I’ve heard this week. Merchants do appear to have little to no power to protect against liability in this racket. I will still make progress towards a policy . . . and we will in our shop still be vigilant against this kind of fraud. Losing even just a couple $50 or $75 sales isn’t something we can just wink at and walk on.

We have had chargebacks cost us big money in a month due to sevice provider error, and we got no relief at all from them. I sleep at night only knowing that I have some semblance of minimal control over my business . . . and a credit card processor can eat that away in a second. I promise not to sweat the nickels, but when it turns into quarters, then it is an alarm to listen to 🙂

Last edited:
Back