Continue to Site

Does anyone charge for boxes?

60.png
NicksPizza:
REDBARNPIZZA:
…it infurates me…kind of like when i pay the elctric bill over the phone they charge you a conveince fee! TO GET THERE MONEY.
I’m with you on the customer anger at repeated little upcharges. We do what we can to find a way to minimize the fees.

The utility bill thing, though, is about their need to collect the bill amount and NOT the bill amount minus 3% credit card fees.
When it comes to user fees banks are the worst. There is a bank here (that I no longer deal with) that charges a fee to use the ATM, a fee for online banking and a fee to use the teller. They charge you to have your check direct deposit from your employer and charge you to take money out of your account. There is a even service fee to pay THEM your banking fees. Now I keep my money in a bottle in a hole in the ground under a rock :lol:

Last edited:
I am in the delivery business. A box is assumed. I have it built in my cost of goods. If the price goes up, I will have to consider whether to raise my prices.

Other products which we do not charge separately for might be napkins, parm, red pepper, etc. Some people want them, others do not. I think you just have to figure a certain amount of this stuff will be used and build it into your cost structure.

I am with the camp that a fee for a to-go container would piss me off. I would rather you just raised the price. A 16" box costs 38 cents. A smaller box or a hot to go container might be 25 cents. If one out of five orders is asking for one and you can’t forcast which orders it is going to be that might come to 5 cents per order. Even keeping food cost percentages in line that comes to a small number. Raise your prices by 15 or 20 cents and move on.

Last edited:
Charging for boxes implies to the customer your primary focus is your bottom line. And while it absolutely should be…thats why we’re here…I always want to give my customers the impression my primary focus is their satisfaction regarding food and service.

Box costs should mix in with flour cost, cheese cost, tomato cost, etc to build a total food cost. Its our job to manage the mix of those costs to acheive the bottom line we want.

Don’t make this business harder than it needs to be…its hard enough

Last edited:
This kinda reminds me of the new television commercial for Southwest Airlines. The cabin lady (of another airline) is giving the usual speil the the passengers just before take off, if you woulf like a soft drink, that’ll be $2.00, if you would like a magazine, that’ll be $1.00, if you wish to use the restroom, that’ll be $4.00, and if you should need assistance in any way, just press the overhead assistance button, that’ll be $2.00. Have an enjoyable flight, and thank you for flying XYZ Airlines. Not sure about the numbers, but you get the picture. Then Southwest comes in and says that they haven’t made any changes and are still the good, old airline carrier that you have come to enjoy for low cost and on time performance…or something like that. Point is; Be a Southwest, don’t nickle and dime your customers, charge a fair price and be done with it. If you are going to charge me for the box, then I must assume that I can save some cost by asking that the cardboard circle and bag be deleted…right? Think of it like this, how would you feel if you bought a soft drink that was advertised for $0.50 for a large cup, you were asked if you would like ice with that, and when the drink was brought to you the bill was for $0.75. Why you ask? Well, the drink was $0.50 and the ice that you requested was $0.25…Total due…$0.75 plus tax!
Why not begin charging for seating (with dine in orders) like they are now doing on the airlines? Or better yet…Charge then for parking in your lot, afterall, the airlines now charge to check your bag! Sorry to be so hung-up on this…Gotta go change a flight reservation from American to Southwest Airlines.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Last edited:
This kinda reminds me of the new television commercial for Southwest Airlines. The cabin lady (of another airline) is giving the usual speil the the passengers just before take off, if you woulf like a soft drink, that’ll be $2.00, if you would like a magazine, that’ll be $1.00, if you wish to use the restroom, that’ll be $4.00, and if you should need assistance in any way, just press the overhead assistance button, that’ll be $2.00. Have an enjoyable flight, and thank you for flying XYZ Airlines. Not sure about the numbers, but you get the picture. Then Southwest comes in and says that they haven’t made any changes and are still the good, old airline carrier that you have come to enjoy for low cost and on time performance…or something like that. Point is; Be a Southwest, don’t nickle and dime your customers, charge a fair price and be done with it. If you are going to charge me for the box, then I must assume that I can save some cost by asking that the cardboard circle and bag be deleted…right? Think of it like this, how would you feel if you bought a soft drink that was advertised for $0.50 for a large cup, you were asked if you would like ice with that, and when the drink was brought to you the bill was for $0.75. Why you ask? Well, the drink was $0.50 and the ice that you requested was $0.25…Total due…$0.75 plus tax!
Why not begin charging for seating (with dine in orders) like they are now doing on the airlines? Or better yet…Charge then for parking in your lot, afterall, the airlines now charge to check your bag! Sorry to be so hung-up on this…Gotta go change a flight reservation from American to Southwest Airlines.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Last edited:
Tom Lehmann:
Then Southwest comes in and says that they haven’t made any changes and are still the good, old airline carrier that you have come to enjoy for low cost and on time performance…or something like that. Point is; Be a Southwest, don’t nickle and dime your customers, charge a fair price and be done with it.
Tom,

That’s an incredible analogy. Interesting to point out that SW seems to be the only airline making money. Contrary to popular belief, their fares aren’t that much lower than legacy carriers unless you get lucky and get one of the 2 or 3 $99 dollar fares on the plane. But their customers are fiercely loyal.

My wife and I are frequent fliers with American. We have a couple of hundred thousand miles and we’re pretty loyal to them. We just had to plan a trip and my wife refused to take American because it will cost us an extra $60.00 round-trip to check our bags.

Obviously they’re trying to cover increases in fuel costs. But if they would have just put the extra $30 dollars each on the fare she probably wouldn’t have balked. Our loyalty to that airline usually wins out unless it’s a glaring difference in fares. We normally pay a little more to take them. But they lost our business on this flight because my wife felt she was getting nickel and dimed. If it was built into the price it probably wouldn’t have been an issue. It’s all about perception.

Last edited:
Back