Continue to Site

"Fresh"

chowtimepizza:
I would take the high road and keep educating people about how great homemade handtossed pies are. They really are better. Breathe, breathe, breathe and keep on with marketing your homemade from scratch, handtossed pizza. Maybe throw in there NEVER FROZEN!!!
Great Advice. and remember copying is the greatest form of flattery. If you weren’t doing it right, nobody would want to copy you 🙂 Keep on doing the right things. short stops are just that. . .and they never last.

Last edited:
I like Nicks implied message post.
Maybe stating “You can taste the difference between our fresh dough made daily vs frozen dough shipped from a warehouse” or “freshly sliced pepperoni vs frozen pepperoni shipped in from the warehouse last week”
Pump up your product, and leave the rest to the customer’s imagination…they’ll get it.

Last edited:
I’ll toss my hat into the “fresh” ring too. There are government definitions for use of the adjective “fresh” as it applies to foods, and as is usually the case, considering the source, it is convoluted, deep and murky, but the essence of their regulation is to allow the consumer to identify a “fresh” product from a non-fresh one. In our case, the product is a “pizza”, a fully baked pizza. So, when the pizza comes out of the oven, it is indeed a “fresh pizza”, the fact that it is made from a frozen dough, rather from a freshly made dough, is immaterial because frozen dough is commonly used to make pizza too. Take for example pizza sauce. for the most part, if it comes out of a bottle, can, or pouch, it isn’t fresh. What kind of sauce were we planning to put onto that "fresh pizza? See what I mean? If the dough would disqualify the use of the adjective “fresh”, then so would the sauce, but since essentially all pizzas are made with some type of processed sauce, the consumer would have expectations of the pizza being made with a processed sauce, so the “fresh” applied to the finished pizza would not be confusing or misleading. The same thing could apply to the pepperoni too (it is a cured meat product). What if the pizza was made on a par-baked crust? Again, a lot of pizzas are made on par-baked crusts, so it would be reasonable to expect that the consumer wouldn’t have a negative reaction to find out that the pizza was made on a par-baked crust, so it could still be called “fresh pizza”. Howervr, if the pizza was frozen or refrigerated after freezing (this would be an uncommon practice in most stores) and then thawed or warmed for sale later in the day, or perhaps within a couple days, now you have a situation where the use of the word “fressh” would not be looked kindly upon. While we, as pizzeria operators are not bound to these regulations as the large wholesale pizza manufacturers are, in a court of law, this is how “fresh” would shake out.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Last edited:
but Tom what is your take on the wording in question “hand tossed FRESH dough” when its is a frozen dough ball.

Its implying that the dough was fresh NOT the pizza!

Last edited:
You are always better off talking about yourself. I would NEVER name a competitor in marketing.

Can you say that you are “the only pizza in town that used dough made fresh every day”? That is much better than saying “the other guys use frozen dough” or “the other guys are lying”.

There is nothing to gain and much to loose by naming (even by inference) the competition. Mostly, it does not work and consumers don’t like it.

Last edited:
One might have a problem defending “hand tossed fresh dough” as it pertains to dough. But if it was worded hand tossed fresh pizza (which is what we’re selling at the pizzeria) it could probably be defended pretty well. However, there is a potential loop hole. Milk can be refrigerated and still labeled as “fresh” because the refrigeration process is the means by which the milk preserved. It might be constrewed that the dough, like the milk, would deteriorate if not refrigerated or frozen (we all know it will, so its a mute point), hence the refrigeration or freezing of the dough SHOULD not disallow the use of the word fresh. The word “should” is what would be argued.The underlying issue is, would the consumer feel cheated if they bought a pizza made with hand tossed, frozen dough as opposed to hand tossed freshly made dough? We all pretty well know what our response would be, but the question would be, what would the untrained consumer’s response be? That is the point that most likely would be argued in a court of law, and the one thing that I could predict is that regardless of the outcome, it would be the lawyers who would win the day. The governments even admits that these cases would be argued/reviewed on a case by case basis.
As a side note, lets say a pizzeria is making its own dough for pizza, but used frozen dough for making its garlic knots and calzones. Their sigh reads “All of our products are made with fresh dough” Could this be argued?
Answer: Yes, because they said ALL of their products were made from fresh dough, the frozen dough would not qualify as fresh in this instance.

Last edited:
Back