Continue to Site

Gummy layer problem....

In looking at your dough formula I see that the yeast level is really quite low. Typically, I would be looking for a yeast level two to almost three times this amount for the amount of flour thqat you are using. There is a distinct possibliity that you are not getting sufficient oven spring/lift in the oven to provide for a good bake. Dense dough does not bake-out well at all, and this could be where your poroblem is at. My suggestion is to double the amount of IDY you’re using and let me know if this helps.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Last edited:
Woops!
I errored.
I read your posted dough formula wrong. I see that you are using ADY not IDY. This makes it even worse. Assuming you are hydrating the ADY in 100F water before you are adding it to the dough, your yeast level is significanyly lower than what I would expect to see for the amount of flour you’re using. I would suggest that you use three to four times your ADY level to achieve the dough leavening needed to ensure a good, thorough bake. Be sure to hydrate the yeast in 100F (use a thermometer) water, and let it set for 10 to 15-minutes before adding it to the dough. Please let me know how this works for you.

Last edited:
Tom…we will run a test batch on tuesday and by thursday i will be able to give some feedback on the process recommendation…Why do you suppose the original dough formula has this low amount of yeast???Could it be that the originators were trying to make the dough last 5 or more days and weren’t as concerned about the Quality? One more question…well at least one more for now!! Why would i want to continue to use ADY vs IDY what am i gaining…with our store are pizza sales are about 50% of our total sales, i wish it were more,but thats where we are at right now,…i really need to try and get this dough to last 3 maybe 4 days…i would agree that our crust lacks rise from the sauce line inward and you are right when we did a tear test on the crust we also flipped it over and cut the crust with a razorblade and it didn’t have a gummy layer, but it was limp looking…but if i cut along side of this razor cut with a pizza cutter, it appeared to be gummy and biting into the same crust made a gummy look staring back at me…ouch.nightmares…i will keep you posted and again thanks

The two most common reasons for extremely low yeast levels are 1) as you say, trying to get the dough to last longer in the cooler, and 2) having hotter that desired finished dough temperatures. This can result in the dough “blowing” in the cooler, so the “knee jerk” reaction is to reduce the yeast level.
Why IDY over ADY? Well as I have discussed so many times before, anytime you hydrate the ADY you run the risk in damaging the yeast. Water that is as little as 5F too warm or cold can actually damage the yeast. Since IDY doesn’t require pre-hydration, this potential problem is eliminated, as an added plus, I can use IDY when making goodie bags too.
Like I said, it’s just the convenience factor.

Last edited:
what are gooooooooooooody bags and what is the yeast content as a bakers percentage?

Your dough absorption looks OKat a little over 53%, but the yeast level is really quite low for ADY at just 0.164% of the flour weight. We typically see the ADY levels up around 1.14 -ounces for the lowest levels with an average being around 2.28-ounces. You can round these off at 1.25 and 2.25-ounces.
I think you are a bit low on your yeast level. Remember though, you will ALWAYS get that gray colored line in the dough when you cut or bite into the crust/pizza. That’s totally normal. What ain’t normal is when you get that line when you pull or tear the crust apart.

Simple. Your dough needs to be warmed-up before use (50-60 degrees) and don’t use cold sauce- it should be close to room temp. Check it out.

Wanted to give everyone an update on the Gummy layer issue…it does appear that the yeast levels have been the main Quality problem here…this past week we made a batch ( still using ADY yeast) and increased the yeast amount to 2.3 oz hydrated…( the old recipe didn’t even call for hydrated yeast water.they were dumping ady yeast right into cold water…its no wonder this dough was lasting 7 days with no taste…since our sales are only 50% pizza my next challenge is to re- figure our dough usage and manage this better…what i really want is to sell a great tasting pizza and raise the sales…again i have lots of tweeeeeking to do because the recipe is still OK…but the yeast is now doing its job…any one want to share some signature ideas to make an airy tender medium crust pizza…Tom and everyone one else who shared their wisdom…THANKS A BUNCH…you guys rock!!!Give me some signature ideas…come on it won’t tell…thanks jopi

If you want airy and tender, do not use a sheeter, hand toss your dough.

Last edited:
when hand tossing a pizza dough how do you deal with consistency with inexperienced employees making a thin pizza in the center

Anonymous:
when hand tossing a pizza dough how do you deal with consistency with inexperienced employees making a thin pizza in the center
Be really gentle with the peel when moving the pie.

And, training, supervision, and practice are the keys to improvement. If you have to have inexperienced employees throwing dough, for some reason, then train, practice, demonstrate, repeat. Maybe they’re better at the make line or cut table.

Last edited:
Back