How to get Facebook "likes" for your fan page

I found I got more hits to my FB page, by posting the special of the day, or a picture of something we’re making or doing (that alone MIGHT get ~15 views) BUT – Then click SHARE and send it to each of the local FB Groups pages there are. There’s a ‘soup’s on’ for those who look for soup every day and want to know what every restaurant in the downtown district are offering… We’re in a small town, so we also have a County swap/sales group, a tri-county sales and swap group. A city classifieds group. When I do those 4 shares, plus share it on my personal timeline. I get up to 400 views of whatever it is I’ve posted. That has proven to be the best way to get visitors to my page.

Last edited:
I did two tests of posting videos to my fan page. We have 5000 fans. The first video was 7 seconds of our fourth batch of dough mixing that day. The comment read “Mixing our fourth batch of dough. How is that for fresh?” That video was seen by 1694 and liked by 41. The second video was 9 seconds of a Stromboli on a tray. The comment read “Like, if we just made you smile.” That video was seen by 3550 and liked by 131.

Our posts that are not a contest seem to average about 400 views and 8 likes.

Looks like a video of your food, with a comment, is the best way to be seen.

The best way to get “Fans” is to have a contest that asks to like, SHARE, comment. That is what I originally posted in this thread.

Last edited:
I did two tests of posting videos to my fan page. We have 5000 fans. The first video was 7 seconds of our fourth batch of dough mixing that day. The comment read “Mixing our fourth batch of dough. How is that for fresh?” That video was seen by 1694 and liked by 41. The second video was 9 seconds of a Stromboli on a tray. The comment read “Like, if we just made you smile.” That video was seen by 3550 and liked by 131.

Our posts that are not a contest seem to average about 400 views and 8 likes.

Looks like a video of your food, with a comment, is the best way to be seen.

The best way to get “Fans” is to have a contest that asks to like, SHARE, comment. That is what I originally posted in this thread.
Sweet! I’m glad to see my results were not just an anomaly and someone else saw similar results.

Now WTF is it about a video that creates this reach?

Last edited:
-“The best way to get “Fans” is to have a contest that asks to like, SHARE, comment. That is what I originally posted in this thread.”

I used to do this with good results…until I was busted by the FB police. It is against their policies and they locked me out of my page until I agreed that I had re-read their rules and agreed to them. Luckily, they didn’t cancel my page but I’ve heard of that happening. I feel certain this would happen if they caught me again. Also, the ‘reach’ of my posts declined significantly after this. Was my page ‘black balled’ by FB? I don’t know, but it sure was coincidental.

Last edited:
-“The best way to get “Fans” is to have a contest that asks to like, SHARE, comment. That is what I originally posted in this thread.”

I used to do this with good results…until I was busted by the FB police. It is against their policies and they locked me out of my page until I agreed that I had re-read their rules and agreed to them. Luckily, they didn’t cancel my page but I’ve heard of that happening. I feel certain this would happen if they caught me again. Also, the ‘reach’ of my posts declined significantly after this. Was my page ‘black balled’ by FB? I don’t know, but it sure was coincidental.
I lost my original page with over 4K followers a little over a year ago, and it has been a real SOB to get that following back without paying FB to advertise or for them to boost my reach. I have a real problem paying FB anything…

Last edited:
I see lots of people doing it, too. I did for 2 years before getting busted. Bottom line is: requiring people to like & share to win a contest is against FB rules. It’s effective, but you’re gambling with your page.

Last edited:
Did a page like ad with the $50.00 coupon they gave me and got 300+ likes from it.

Last edited:
Did a page like ad with the $50.00 coupon they gave me and got 300+ likes from it.
i did that too and all the people that liked me were out of state…Why would i want to pay for people to like my place that will never eat here?

Last edited:
i did that too and all the people that liked me were out of state…Why would i want to pay for people to like my place that will never eat here?
You never set the demographics for your ad. You can set them so that only Facebook users that are a certain distance away, age group, gender, interests and more.

Example: I just did a Vegan Pizza Coming Soon ad. I specified that I only wanted women who were 18-55 who live in my city plus 10 miles away, who are interested in Vegan Nutrition and Veganism. You can do much more also. Only people on Facebook that meet those requirements will see the ad.

Last edited:
A local independent cab company near me did the paid ad’s through FB, He gained a pile of Likes, but no increase in biz recognized yet, and he reported that many are from way out of town too.

The analytics for my FB page show that 90% of our followers live in, or around Chicago, that is 5-6 hours away from me! Most all of our regulars are 40 miles or farther away, I cannot seem to reach local year-round residents no matter what I try.
Cross posting with other local business on FB has been our best returns so far, But again, thats not the demographic I want to reach!
I guess I just need to move to a real city where I do not have snow up to my dangly parts for half the year

Last edited:
We have a pizzeria in Rural, Central PA. Our town has 1,500 homes. Our Pizzeria was one of the first in this area and is still going after 54 years. We joined facebook pretty quick (2010) and was “liked” by many. We ended up with about 3,000 likes by 2014.

I tried something this year to see how well it would work to get “likes” and it seems to be working very well. We decided to start give away food on facebook. All we had to do was post a picture of food and say: Enter to win! Like, comment, share this post and you could be the random winner chosen on Thursday XX!

Our customers have been more engaged in conversation about our pizzeria and each time we get about 100 new “likes”. We now have 4,700 likes and the fan page has a very positive vibe to it. It is so nice to see all the compliments from customers. Very Rewarding!

I am curious to see how it may work for others like you guys. Let me know if you give it a try.
I may try this

Last edited:
On the day of the Super Bowl, we did our first Facebook paid ad. We got a pretty good response. We tailored it to certain areas that we normally serve. Remember, Facebook doesn’t know really if you’re selling local food or shipping T-shirts across the country. So it’s going to default to spreading it over a large area.

The thing that I got to thinking about though, is how important are likes anyway? I’m not on Facebook as much anymore, but when I do, I’ve been noticing that I don’t see a lot from pages that I have liked in my newsfeed unless they are paid ads. So it’s great that I’ve gotten all these people to see and like my page, but if they never see any of my updates unless I pay for it, does it do me any good? It seems like people have to specifically go to my page to see anything new I post.

Last edited:
We use facebook as our exclusive advertising source. For 50 bucks ove this past weekend, around 9000 people saw the post and we got back 50 deals from that (and our 1100 email list and our 200 text list).

Would some of those people have ordered anyway? Probably, but the anecdotal amount of people who come in because they say they saw it on FB and the coupon redemption is worth it.

Last edited:
Good point. We did the minimum, $5 on our Super Bowl post and got 6 likes and lots of likes on our post itself. All from local people. I was very happy with the exposure for the cost. I guess my focus should be less on how people see us without paying for it and instead just set up a budget for how much I want to spend paying for it. Thanks.

Last edited:
I see Facebooks ads from businesses that are far away from me…I certainly can not go out and buy pizza or liquor from a place on Vancouver Island…But we share the same area code so I guess that may be part of the problem…

Last edited:
Back