Continue to Site

I am looking to make my own ranch dressing. Does anyone have suggestions?

I want to try this! But where are you guys getting the buttermilk from? And how much is it? I see it in the grocery store but it’s not sold in gallons and the price wouldn’t be worth it do most vendors carry this?
You should be able to get buttermilk in 1/2 gallon cartons from your dairy distributor, Or any other full-line purveyor like Sysco, GFS, Or whoever you use locally…

Last edited:
Thanks, it was a slow friday for us, so I sent a driver to hannaford, to get us a few odds and ends. She got us some buttermilk and a small packet of ranch dip mix, I mixed it half buttermilk half mayonaisse, I couldn’t get all the clumps out. Do you use an immersion blender?
Also I noticed on amazon they have a specific buttermilk HVR spice pack what version do you buy?
I actually have the Good Seasons brand Ranch spice mix at my house but haven’t tried it yet

Last edited:
I use a kitchen aid mixer to make it a gallon a time. Usually mixes for a good 10-15 min at low speed to get rid of the lumps.

Last edited:
We mix ours with an electric drill and what is basically a food-safe paint mixer (ss rod with plastic blades) in one of our 10-gallon sauce crocks.

Hey, if anyone knows where I can pick up 1 (or 3 or more) of these things, I’d much appreciate it! The ones I have are all losing blades and it seems they only make galvanized/welded ones these days which aren’t usable for food service.

Last edited:
We mix ours with an electric drill and what is basically a food-safe paint mixer (ss rod with plastic blades) in one of our 10-gallon sauce crocks.
IMG_20140228_123330_044(2).jpg

Hey, if anyone knows where I can pick up 1 (or 3 or more) of these things, I’d much appreciate it! The ones I have are all losing blades and it seems they only make galvanized/welded ones these days which aren’t usable for food service.
Me too! Tried ordering one at the local hardware store & it was only 8" long after being told it was 2’.

Last edited:
Thanks, it was a slow friday for us, so I sent a driver to hannaford, to get us a few odds and ends. She got us some buttermilk and a small packet of ranch dip mix, I mixed it half buttermilk half mayonaisse, I couldn’t get all the clumps out. Do you use an immersion blender?
Also I noticed on amazon they have a specific buttermilk HVR spice pack what version do you buy?
I actually have the Good Seasons brand Ranch spice mix at my house but haven’t tried it yet
whisk the dry into the buttermilk … then beat hell out of it to mix w the mayo.

Last edited:
IMG_20140228_123330_044(2).jpg

What about these? http://www.sherwin-williams.com/painting-contractors/products/catalog/5-gallon-helix-paint-mixer/

Last edited:
I was under the impression that by making it in house with the hidden valley mix ,mayo and buttermilk was cheaper?am I mistaken?I buy mayo in 5 gallon tubs,since it is much cheaper that.I cant find the butter milk in half gallon containers though,only pints.I switched from the 1.5 oz individual portion control packets.
we use a lot of ranch for our wings.just a thought for those of you trying to figure out how much ranch you go through in a year.

Last edited:
Back