Continue to Site

I just tried to buy my first pizza place

F,in verizon shut me down at 7:15p and didn’t have me back up till 1pm the next day because the clerk insisted I wanted fios. It cost me about a grand. I’m gonna have to switch to bright house.

Last edited:
Just an update. It has been a little slower, but not far off. I put in a new prep table and new zesto ovens in the front. And fixed a lot of stuff that was neglected by the last owner. The staff is very good with minor issues. So far no regrets. I think our menu is due for some minor price increases as they are the same since four years ago. We added a cheese burger sub which is going over pretty good. Will give an update soon.

Last edited:
Thanks for keeping us informed. I look forward to hearing about your 1st year results. Continued good luck!

Last edited:
We just had a real slow week, just above 12k. I know its the time of year but I am really looking forward to school starting back up. Lots of bumps in the road, but I am very happy with the purchase.

Last edited:
Hello.

I’ve stumbled upon this thread and followed it closely, any update on the status of the shop? Hope all is well.
Pizzaman

Last edited:
I haven’t updated in a while but my manager gave me his notice today. I pay him 52k per year so I can definitely save some money but I think I am leaning towards selling. He was my head chef and although he didn’t make the pizza, I did over rely on him and worry about the business without him. We are beginning our busy season and I think I have lost the passion.

Last edited:
After nine months?

Buckle your seatbelt, keep your head down and get the job done. Managers come and go.

Last edited:
My three pizza makers / cooks are all rallying and are being very supportive, I might loose one driver and one or two waitresses.

Last edited:
In this economy, if you lose a couple of people, they can be easily replaced. Just take your time when hiring the right people.

Last edited:
The first two years are the hardest. You’re making money (according to previous posts) and half way home. Stick with it . . . unless you’ve found that the pizza business isn’t as glamorous as you thought it would be.

Last edited:
Well, I still have it and have not listed it for sale. If the ex managers place is taking any business, I can’t tell. After a very rough few weeks, I like the direction we are headed. We have a fantastic new cook, and the new manager is starting to come along. With our busy season just starting, it is tempting to sell now but I also don’t want to give up. I do like the business.

Last edited:
I just read through this entire thread, very interesting! I’m curious if whosurpopi is still there?

Last edited:
Sucessful busines Are seldum for sale
Very true, but if someone made me the correct offer, i’d walk away in a heartbeat. The reason being is trying to employ the “Entitlement generation”

Last edited:
Very true, but if someone made me the correct offer, i’d walk away in a heartbeat. The reason being is trying to employ the “Entitlement generation”
Is it really that difficult? Do you find that to be more with the kids in high school or the young adults in their early 20’s with no direction?

Last edited:
Generally speaking successful business are not for sale,
Hmmmm. Well, as a business broker I would have to say that there is truth in the statement in that most successful businesses are not for sale. But that is only the case since only a small portion of businesses are for sale at any given time. Of the businesses that are for sale, a good many are successful. Have a look through the numbers, if the owner can work there and make a decent living does that count as successful? I have sold quite a few businesses that earn six figures.

Are most businesses that are for sale successful? That is another question entirely and I would have to say that it is probably 50/50 as many owners do attempt to sell before just folding the tent but it is not hard to weed these out of the picture. Of those listed with a business broker (not a realtor whose thinks they can sell businesses too) considerably more than half are successful because none of us wants to wast time listing businesses that will not sell.

Last edited:
Is it really that difficult? Do you find that to be more with the kids in high school or the young adults in their early 20’s with no direction?
Ya know, thats a good question. It seems that people under 30-35 years old are mainly the issue, something flipped in society where they thought their feelings shouldn’t be hurt, and they started rewarding mediocrity and punishing the achievers. Everyone gets a high school diploma now just for showing up. (I had an application where a guy had written “Dipma” for the degree he earned in high school)
I’ve seen people around 30 years old who cannot read an analog clock, cannot add & subtract single digit numbers without a calculator, and they all have “Dipma’s” from high school. and even had a guy who had a few years of 'Collage" under his belt.
Look at school sports, there are no more tryouts where you had to work to make the team, now everyone plays no matter how much they suck. Scores are not kept anymore, mercy rules, if someone does a crap job, they get a do-over.
That coddling stuck with them, and they do not know how to react when someone calls them out on their mistakes and tells them it is not good enough and to do it over. They’ve never had to deal with that before in their life.
I am old school, I teach my guys classic techniques, we don’t do freezer to fryer,. there is no microwave oven here, there are no non-stick pans. We use clarified butter, not some butter flavored grill oil, we use solid block shortening containing animal fats in our fryers, not liquid canola oils. If we serve it, it’s made inhouse.

Last edited:
I agree with GotRocks… the worst group are a bit older. I would say late 20s and early 30s. I have had them quit when they did not get a raise rather than take on the tasks I told them would justify more money.

Last edited:
Back