Continue to Site

Independent Pizzeria Facebook Page

Here’s my thoughts being a independent pizzeria…

I am not opposed to a facebook page promoting us independents- Lets be clear about that.

I feel that the think tank was built with francisees and independents alike. Now, this same forum is promoting a “no corporate pizza” and everyone is jumping on the band wagon.

Like I said I am not opposed to the idea but I am opposed to it be promoted on a site that has been built by those same corporate/francisee.

If this is the case, I think you would have to remove ALL of jrokk posts and others alike on the think tank that helped build every independents business through countless hours of information to us.

Just my own opinion. I wouldn’t want the think tank to become us vs them. We are all here to feed our families and make some money.

I don’t think the tank is the place for this.

I go in peace,

pt

Last edited:
I hear you PT.

I think that a “pro” something stance is appropriate while an “anti” something stance is not.

Last edited:
I think this is more about marketing than anything else. I looked at the stats from PMQs own site. there are approximately 62000 pizza places in the US and approximately 40000 of them are independents. The top 12 franchises sell about 51% of the pizzas so there is a big imbalance.

I hold no grudge toward any other operator be it corporate or independent. We all have our place. I do think this discussion has merit here as it is a way for operators to join together and exchange ideas to help build their business.

I have personally run a radio ad that had the same message. If you are tired of the cardboard corporate pizza and want fresh wholesome flavor call ###-####.

Last edited:
To anyone that posted on this thread or on the FB page since my last update, I will try to get you added to the “Indie List” today.

The reason I made the page with a somewhat “anti” stance is because that’s more what people grab on to with things like Facebook. It’s cool to be against something corporate (especially food these days). Other than that, I don’t think we’ve gone too overboard in bashing franchise pizza.

Last edited:
Now that you mention it, although I think the “anti” message might resonate a little easier, it does make it look like we are scared of the corporate giants. If I were Dominos, I might even take it as a compliment toward my new changes.

Maybe a message of “Support Your Local Pizzeria” indirectly reminds the customer to choose “local” vs “international”, “little guy” vs “corporate”, etc

Guess this is why they have marketing departments.

Wish we could hook up with an upstart marketing company who would work pro bono, just to get a national campaign under their belt!

Last edited:
I’ve gotta say I think the ‘anti-corporate’ message sucks!

I employ 50+ staff and I’ve funded two stores, I produce the best quality pizza in my area. I provide good customer service, support local causes etc etc. Would having my own name or a franchise name above my door make a difference?

I’m local, opened my stores in my local area, and support local causes. Would the name over my door affect this?

Down he street is small indy that doesn’t even have refrigeration in the shop. It just closed down, need I say any more? We use fresh dough another indy uses frozen prebaked. Does the name over the door make one better than they other? Does the fact that it is an indy make it better than a well run franchise?

As I’ve said before there are good and bad operators everywhere. Franchised stores may have problems and limits on their creativity but I’d bet a lot more money on them operating a business properly, having insurance and good solid hygiene practises much more than a small indy who hasn’t got a clue what a temperature probe is!

Last edited:
48.png
RobT:
too bad the link she supplied in the article is no good.
The link does work now.

Last edited:
Back