Continue to Site

Kitchen Flooring

Have vinyl tile in our kitchen. It is a white with grey/brown specks in it. The problem with this tile is that it loses it’s wax coating SO QUICKLY! Had the floor “professionally” waxed in March. By May/June it was bad again. We had it “unprofessionally” waxed early August (the guys that work for me). It is already wearing and getting bad. We have waxed this floor many times ourselves and follow the specs properly. I think it is just our heavy traffic now is wearing it out sooner than in the past. I am considering quitting waxing it altogether and just doing a more agressive / bleach mop every night instead.
Anyone have any advice?
Have you ever considered this over the tiles? I am going to try it
http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=19875756&KPID=15388585&pla=pla_15388585

Last edited:
It’s a new strip center landlord leaving unfinished concrete slab.
I assume the LL is giving you an allowance for the flooring. What will that cover? Do the LL have any specific requirement?

My experience with vinyl is not good. It simply gets beat up and looks dirty where ceramic tile, being a much harder material works better. We have switched out some of the original tile in our entry and dish areas for a new higher friction ceramic tile and are happy with that too.

Last edited:
I can tell you one floor to avoid. My current space at our high school bakery/pizzeria space has epoxy with course grit in it. They poured out the epoxy and then walked with spiked shoes and threw grit down on it to cure. It is a good surface for durability/non slip but forget cleaning it with a mop and even sweeping flour and such is a hassle. It eats mops up with the floor acting like sandpaper and doesn’t get into the crevices which fill up with junk and it takes a 3k scrub brush machine to do a 1/2 way decent job but we have to use the old hand and knees with a scrub brush to really get it clean. Walter

http://blog.everlastepoxy.com/editorial/blog/non-slip-safety-epoxy-flooring
The good news is that they do smooth out over time. We laid down a course grit one 10 years ago and now its easy to clean. The ones I have done over the last couple of years I have them lessen the grit.

Last edited:
I assume the LL is giving you an allowance for the flooring. What will that cover? Do the LL have any specific requirement?

My experience with vinyl is not good. It simply gets beat up and looks dirty where ceramic tile, being a much harder material works better. We have switched out some of the original tile in our entry and dish areas for a new higher friction ceramic tile and are happy with that too.
Yes I did get LL general everything included allowance and he is not spec’ing any particular flooring,

Last edited:
We never wax our CVT. When we mop each night, we go over it once to get it wet and then we go over it again to lift the dirt and stains. Waxing the floor would make it too slippery.
We do the same. Had it waxed to a mirror finish and it was dangerous. it was like a an ice skating ring when it got wet. so we stripped it bare and use some floor cleaner and bleach each night. anyone know what the grocery or walmart uses on their floors? they shine with no slip?

Last edited:
Back