Continue to Site

least expensive POS?

Quick Books Pro can do very similar tasks…Inventory tracking, pricing costs and profit %, customer logging with very similar record keeping but my point was not to compare the two but to suggest that while being different at their core they are very much alike and again this MY OPPINION but there is no way to reasonably justify the cost of POS system. Not in terms of its value to the end user but in what the makers are charging. I just feel it is a bit of price gauging and if the system you earlier mentioned, does again very similar things for 600 bucks than I think it shows I was not far off in suggesting the systems for 20 grand are way over priced.

Last edited:
Easygoer no one can make you buy something you obviously have decided you do not want…A 20,000 POS system is going to have considerable hardware to go along with the software so it is hardly fair to compare cheap software with a complex POS system…And while Quickbooks can some similar tasks, there is no way that is as efficient in doing so in the heat of a rush…And I am not aware of any add-on to Quickbooks that will print out slips in the kitchen or process gift cards…A decent POS system will make you money…And if Quickbooks could really do what you suggest, all the POS sellers would be out of business…Just like a 5.50 pizza is not as good as the 12.00 or 15.00 pizza most indy’s sell…If it was, they too would also be out of business…

Last edited:
Please Please Please make no mistake I am not suggesting that quick books is a substitute for a POS system. What I am saying that the programing is of a very similar nature and the cost for a POS system is hard to swallow when it is not any ground breaking software technology. Hardware is so cheap these days that again at 20,000 grand someone is simply being greedy.

Last edited:
here is the software that Piper mentioned…It would appear to be viable option that even with hardware you should be able to implement for less than 3 grand…

Here are the major new features you’ll find in Point of Success version 2.5:

Gift card processing through Mercury Payment Systems (free with credit card processing!)
Exports accounting information for import into QuickBooks
Closed orders can be reopened for corrections to order or payment information
Main menu in Order Entry program is fully configurable – Remove, resize and rename all buttons
Security to control reprinting of prep tickets, customer receipts and box labels
Sales tax can be charged on delivery fees
The word Add can be turned off so that it will not appear on orders, tickets or reports
A voided order is now defined as an order that has been voided after being sent to the kitchen or paid. Orders that are abandoned before saving now have a Discarded status and are not included on the voided order reports.
Support for AutoRoute (Similar to Streets & Trips for Europe)
Support for Streets and Trips 2007 and 2008
New database technology to allow automatic scheduled data backups, simpler additional user purchases, and easier software registration
Improved network installation
Workstation computers automatically install software updates when an update is installed on the server
New Order Sequence Tracking report
Support for new receipt and label printers
More than 125 changes - Major features, minor features and maintenance corrections

Last edited:
Easygoer
Let me try to shine a different light on the subject. I will make a few assumptions here. I assume you are familiar with some of the programs that you can buy to make a simple floorplan for a house. They give you the ability to do a basic layout and see what you house will look like in 3D. These programs run anywhere from $10 to $100 depending on the features. My second assumption is that you are aware that a profession architect or engineer would use a specialized program to do their work such as Auto Cad which runs around $3000.

Yes, you are able to do the same basic things with the low cost program as you can with the higher cost program but you can not do everything that is required in order to complete the job properly. The core of each package may be close but when you are getting down to the nitty gritty details you need a package that is designed to to the complete job.

As an ex-IT professional I am telling you there are hundreds of examples of this same type of cost disparity. Just try any shareware software and see how far you get for the cheap price as compared to a program that is designed with the professional’s needs fully addressed.

Last edited:
Daddio,

The software that runs $599.00 is designed for a restaurant POS with an emphasis on delivery. I am not sure how much it lacks in comparison to the high dollar offerings but I am would wager it is not that far off. My entire point was that I feel the POS systems are a great tool but I had to think there were some very real options to such high priced wares that still performed at a reasonable level. It appears that this Point of Success appears to be a very competent program for a fraction of the cost.

Last edited:
48.png
Easygoer13:
Daddio,

The software that runs $599.00 is designed for a restaurant POS with an emphasis on delivery. I am not sure how much it lacks in comparison to the high dollar offerings but I am would wager it is not that far off. My entire point was that I feel the POS systems are a great tool but I had to think there were some very real options to such high priced wares that still performed at a reasonable level. It appears that this Point of Success appears to be a very competent program for a fraction of the cost.
I chose Point of Success because it was designed by people who had lived the pizza side of life and know the unique requirements of our world. Without a doubt you can get systems with more bells and whistles but I have yet to use all of what Point of Success has to offer. I feel it is the best value for my money.

My previous post referred more to the comparison of an accounting software package to a point of sale package.

Last edited:
230_2.png
Daddio:
48.png
Easygoer13:
Daddio,

I chose Point of Success because it was designed by people who had lived the pizza side of life and know the unique requirements of our world. Without a doubt you can get systems with more bells and whistles but I have yet to use all of what Point of Success has to offer. I feel it is the best value for my money.

My previous post referred more to the comparison of an accounting software package to a point of sale package.
My recommendation is to download a couple of POS trial copies (POSuccess being one of them). Play around with them for awhile and see for yourself that they are what you’re looking for. POSuccess trial has a fictitious restaurant loaded, so it’s fairly easy to see how it works. You can also download Quickbooks POS from Intuit’s site. I think you’ll “Quickly” (no pun intended) see how this program was made for general retail and has very little support for the complex pizza operation.

Last edited:
We have used Prism by Microworks now for 10 years. The software does what we want it to. The reporting is everything I need. The system is stable and the customer support is outstanding.

We run a six station network. 3 touchscreen order stations with caller ID and intergrated CC processing, make-line station, touch screen drivers station and manager/server. The manager station doubles as a fourth order taking station when we are slammed.

Any of the machines can be be configured to do any of the other jobs, so if a piece of equipment goes down (In 10 years has happened twice) another machine can do that job. Tech support is available at all times. The equipment is Dell and comes with a three year warranty. Did I say the tech support is outstanding?

The cost is expensive but well worth it. You can save some money by shopping for things like printers and touchscreens elsewhere but getting the computers all programed and configured to work together is worth a lot. When we replaced the whole system after the first five years, the new system arived with our customer base and menu already in place and it took about two hours to get it up and running.

Comparing a $200 software book-keeping program for a single machine that will not run the operations of ANY business to a fullblown POS including all the equipment that is custom designed to run YOUR business is silly.

Last edited:
48.png
Easygoer13:
Daddio,

I’m not trying to bash Point of Success, just trying to put this discussion into perspective. The Point of Success software that costs $599 isn’t comparable to most turnkey complete systems. When I replaced my POS a year ago I looked at putting in Point of Success. By the time I added computers, touchscreens, printers, caller ID box, router, licenses, tech support, credit card processing software, swipe strips, cash drawers ect, to make a comparable system, the cost was well over $8000. And my menu, customer database, and delivery area would still not be inputed in the POS. How many hours of my life would it take me to get the system ready to run? Probably more than I would put in which is why I opted to not go this route. I happily spent $17K on my Prism system and had all or this programed for me. If I had to throw my Prism system out this afternoon and buy a complete new system, I would say that it paid for itself over the 12 months I have used it. I went my first 7 years without a POS and had pretty good, but flat sales. Over the last 5 years of using a POS I have increased my sales by $500K annually. If anyone reading this is on the fence of whether to buy a POS or try to operate on paper, I urge you to look past the initial costs and weigh the benefits a POS offers your business.

Last edited:
48.png
bodegahwy:
Comparing a $200 software book-keeping program for a single machine that will not run the operations of ANY business to a fullblown POS including all the equipment that is custom designed to run YOUR business is silly.
I think you need to read my post…

“Please Please Please make no mistake I am not suggesting that quick books is a substitute for a POS system.”

Paul…

I think you offer credible points to a higher priced system…Why did you have to toss Prism after only a year…Or did I misread that.

Last edited:
I was trying to say that even if I did have to throw it out, it still would have paid for itself. I did replace my previous POS after just four years as I wasn’t really happy with some of the features and the direction of the company. It should also be noted that pricing for POS systems vary greatly. I had a company quote me $29K last year and then this year quote one of our other stores $18K for basically the same system. They are a lot like car dealerships with high MSRP prices, and deep discounts available to those that seek them.

Last edited:
Paul…

I think that sorta sums up my point…that it appears to me that they while being extremely useful some would say in-valuable. They Are pricey and I think there is flat price gauging going on. I am going to be looking to the Point of Success to see if it will work for me…

Last edited:
Nearly ev ery database application software is the same fundamental structure . . . front end (actual application/user utility), database and back end (reporting and modification tools). Quickboks, DiamondTouch, Point of Success, proprietary software for a hign volume law firm. Three pieces all working together to perform spec tasks and functions.

See, the key is in the design and development costs to make all those pieces perform the desired functions. Some software will perform the Pizzeria needed functions, and some will not. Same structure of software, possibly the same underlying database platform and backend tools. It all depends on how you configure them and the utility for given tasks.

Now, after I’ve paid these developers to create and program the application, connect the front, database and back together; paid development time with proprietary software and hardware engineers to make their piece work with mine; live tested the application in real pizzerias; developed patches and functionality to support myriad hardware configurations, including jacked up used junk from eBay; and so on . . . I am a business and need to recover the R&D costs plus profitability to operate my business. This is not unlike a pizzeria.

Some companies choose to bundle hardware together and sell their product as a turnkey system. Some put service contracts into the bundle and sell for more. It is all about the company model and how they intend to make their profitability goals. If I am making fewer sales, then I gotta get more money on the sales or find another revenue stream, like service contracts. If I can bundle hardware, then I can get some acceptable markup reselling the new hardware. Consumers take the chances and pay their nickels on the package of services, funtionality and harware they can afford or desire.

I doubt anyone in the business of making pizzas has the time, financial resources and expertise to develop even the simplest of Pizza POS applications. So, we pay someone else to do it for us.

Last edited:
Back