Continue to Site

Mail Shark Experience

SO I myself am experiencing this, I live in the last zone of a menu mailing and called around and no one including myself has gotten these. Week 1 was mailed 2 weeks ago and had an estimated date of January 17th…still not hit…coming on into week 3…I think I may go to the post office today to find out some more info. I will catch my carrier today. It seems the distance it has to travel is killing me, I have paid 3 weeks and NO RETURN…I am sure they will hit eventually…I hope.
Would I be better served trying to do this myself? I mean If I took them to my post office and dropped them off they wouldn’t be held up because of weather or such. anyone else having the same problems?

Last edited:
nothing has reached my carrier as of today for zone 10 or zone 1, this sucks…talked to my carrier and its been a while.
so a little digging and i got this for a 4 by 6 piece it cost me .28 cents first class. for 1000 post cards it will cost me .03 cents each…front and back color.
plus .01 for the address
total of .31 cents each to the door and thats for 4 by 6…think my response will drop too…

Last edited:
I too experienced the same issues with drop dates when using Mail Shark and thus decided to create my own weekly mailing program. Here are my costs:

10k (6x9) postcards from Gotprint.com = $500 or .05ea + shipping
purchase of address list and mailing services = .08ea
postage = .21ea
Grand total w/ shipping: 0.35ea

Best part is that I had the postcards shipped directly to my LOCAL mailing house who then addressed each piece and separated them into 8 individual drops based on the carrier routes that I wanted to target. Printing and the addressing and mailing service were paid up front, postage is being paid weekly. I drop off a check at the mailing house every Friday for the next weeks mailing. On Monday the mailing house takes the presorted pieces and the postage check to the bulk mailing center for distribution by the usps. Doing it this way the postacards have been in-homes no later than Thursday of that week. In fact, many times they have hit homes on Wednesday.

Although I pay a little more per piece handling things myself, I get the consistency of the weekly mailings that I was hoping to get from Mail Shark.

Last edited:
complain and then they showed up, week 10 showed up 30 minutes after I posted this, still behind on week one but I feel so much better.

Last edited:
After complaining many times, my bulk mail clerk at my local post office now sends my carrier routed mail directly to the post office instead of the mail plant. They don’t go into the DPS system and land up directly for the carrier to manual sort.

If there was only a good tracking system for bulk mail, we all could understand it a little better.

I’m about to sign up with mailshark, but im real hesitant now. I don’t want 3000 mail pieces hitting at all at once.

Last edited:
I have been doing mailings for many years now. I have used a local mailing house, a few out of town mailing houses and last year I tried Mail Shark. When I have used the 2 out of town places as well as Mail Shark, I have gotten really low response rates (around 1%). When I have used my local mailing house I’ve gotten a much better response rate (avg. 3-5% each week). I was pretty happy with my local mailing house when I was using them but they had raised their rates and it was getting to where it was almost as much as me buying stamps and doing them myself. So about 4 months ago I decided one week to do my own postcards. The results were great! I got around a 7% return. Ever since I have been doing my own and seeing the similar results week after week. I feel that the biggest reason for the increased response rates is that by doing the postcards myself, I can control which day they hit the houses. I mail them out on Wednesday and they are in the mail boxes on Thursday. They arrive just in time for the weekend when more people are ordering pizza. With saturation mailings you really have no way to control exactly which day the postcards hit the mailboxes. My local mailing house could get it close to the day I wanted most of the time, but it wasn’t an exact science. Sometimes it could take up to 4 or 5 days.

So to sum up my experiences, I have found that I have had the most success by doing my own mailings and paying the extra postage. I mail out around 1,000 postcards a week. They really don’t take me that long to do. I print out the labels and buy the post card stamps Monday afternoon. I then have my employees help me put the labels and stamps on them when it’s slow in the shop. When you have a couple of people helping you it doesn’t take long at all. Like I said before, the key to getting a higher response rates is by ensuring that my postcards hit the mailboxes on a Thursday or Friday. And the only way to guarantee that is by doing them myself.

Here’s some stats comparing what it cost to do my own compared to when I was using Mail Shark:

Mail Shark’s price is $299 a week for 1000 pieces (includes printing & postage) = $0.30 each.

Cost for me to do them myself:

1,000 postcards cost me $22.34
1,000 labels = $7.83
1,000 postcard stamps = $280

Total cost = $310.17 a week. ($0.31 each)

I was seeing around a 1% return with Mail Sharks.
For the last 4 months I have been doing my own mailings and seeing an average of 5%-7% return.

To do them myself, it cost me $10 a week more to do my weekly postcard mailings than what Mail Shark charged, and I’m generating an average of $800 a week more in sales from them.

Last edited:
.28 each to mail…Ouch…In Canada we have unaddressed admail that is half that rate…

Has anyone tried using a church, scout or school group looking to do some fund raising to deliver postcards…I realize that you can not “touch” the mail box so your results might be lower but some of that should be offset by a lower delivery cost…

And if you are paying 0.28 each can you mail a larger piece for the same price such as a tri-fold menu…You can put the same information as on the postcard on the 2 exposed panel and then you have 4 more panels to use…

Last edited:
48.png
Roger:
1,000 postcards cost me $22.34
1,000 labels = $7.83
1,000 postcard stamps = $280
What size postcard?

Last edited:
48.png
Roger:
I print out the labels and buy the post card stamps Monday afternoon. I then have my employees help me put the labels and stamps on them when it’s slow in the shop.
As an experiment, you could try having your team hand-write the addresses on a set of postcards instead of using pre-printed labels. I’ve seen how that and a real stamp (instead of a bulk-mailing permit) increased the response rate for letters. Maybe it would do the same for a post-card mailing?

Last edited:
I used the Grande cheese menu program and had a great experience. If you are a grande customer (I think you have to use 100% pizza cheese, no mixxing) call them and talk to thier marketing people. The prinrted a custom menu for us, mailed it and we had a great response.

Last edited:
second mailing hit today, I did want to add that my frustrations lie within the post office Mail shark had everything sent in a timely matter and did everything I have paid them for and my response is HIGH when they make it to there destination and it ALWAYS seems to be the zone 9 and 10 hang up.

Last edited:
A quick question for you all. I’ve read this thread, and am in the middle of Mail Shark’s process to get me started. I read in some of the posts here about the “return rate”. Some people are talking about a return rate of 3-5%, others higher, others lower.

What exactly does this mean? At a 5% return rate, if I mail out 1000 menues, 50 people will come to my shop and buy a pizza? Thanks for taking the time to talk to a newbie.

Last edited:
amelmor - You are correct. Return rates are based on how many people bring in the mailer/hanger v. how many you distributed. Obviously, you need a POS or some other method of tracking those redemptions. Of course, redemptions may not tell you the whole story. There is some residual impact of having your name and menu out to those households which you cannot reasonably measure. For most of us, though, pure identity advertising is a waste of money.

Last edited:
Back