Managers: If you would have had this happen...(VERY LONG)

Re: Managers: If you would have had this happen…(VERY LON

Effective leadership and management of people is a learning process. I suggest you read some books on the topic. Most employers think because a key employee is great at their job they will be a good leader. It sounds to me like your store found you to be a great employee, promoted you but never trained you to be a effective leader, manager.

A title is not going to earn you respect. Authority to do this or that will not give you respect. Learning how to deal with people and situations effectively will not only give you respect by the employees but the authority “over” them.

Mistake number one, getting upset with an employee for bringing in business. Never even acknowleding the fact that she brought in business.
Mistake number two, dealing with the employee and issue at hand during a “rush” Unless the situation is an emergency you should never handle it during a “rush”
Mistake number three, discussing the injustice with two other crew members.
Mistake number four, continuing to engage with employee after clearly a heated argument
Mistake number five, calling your boss.

If that was me, I would have thanked the gal for the order when she called, asked if she could come into help. When she walked through the door I would have said hey, man are we glad to see you…we need help.

After our shift was over and the other crew was clocked in, I would have said hey jane can I talk to ya for a minute. I would have briefly told her how much I appreciate the order. How it was great that everyone pulled together and got the order out. (Because effective leadership would have allowed that to occour) and explain in the future how we could better serve the customer by doing xxxx.

The situation would have never ever escalated.

Let’s say the situation went the way yours did…at the first sign of a heated discussion I would have shut my mouth and become a peace maker,which is one of the jobs as a manager. Instead you are sooooo fearful they don’t respect you or your authority you are forcing it on them. You are stating all kinds of injustices to the other drivers and your boss. This only further weakens your authority.

If she is the nut case you describe you need to learn how to deal with her…what motivates her? You want to rant about her language, about her attitude and this that and the other but clearly she is valuable to the company. You need to stop thinking of how you are going to get rid of her and start thinking about her strengths and how to use her to make you look better, as a manager.

If I was your boss I would be sooooo ticked at all the drama, YOU are bringing to the store. If you can’t figure out how to deal with this stuff you are not the right person for the job.

You are hired to be the problem SOLVER. Lesson number one: Never ever call a manager when they are off. Period. Why couldn’t you have just waited until they got there during their regular shift? Because you are soooooo focused on YOU and not respecting them and their time off.
You wanted the injustice YOU felt YOU got to be taken care of.

You sound like a great employee but I think you need to train yourself to be a great leader.

Kris

Last edited:

And I completely agree with you.

Lessons are being learned that will help me as well as the whole team, and that’s why I LOVE you guys!
60.png
Kris:
Effective leadership and management of people is a learning process. I suggest you read some books on the topic. Most employers think because a key employee is great at their job they will be a good leader. It sounds to me like your store found you to be a great employee, promoted you but never trained you to be a effective leader, manager.

A title is not going to earn you respect. Authority to do this or that will not give you respect. Learning how to deal with people and situations effectively will not only give you respect by the employees but the authority “over” them.

Mistake number one, getting upset with an employee for bringing in business. Never even acknowleding the fact that she brought in business.
Mistake number two, dealing with the employee and issue at hand during a “rush” Unless the situation is an emergency you should never handle it during a “rush”
Mistake number three, discussing the injustice with two other crew members.
Mistake number four, continuing to engage with employee after clearly a heated argument
Mistake number five, calling your boss.

If that was me, I would have thanked the gal for the order when she called, asked if she could come into help. When she walked through the door I would have said hey, man are we glad to see you…we need help.

After our shift was over and the other crew was clocked in, I would have said hey jane can I talk to ya for a minute. I would have briefly told her how much I appreciate the order. How it was great that everyone pulled together and got the order out. (Because effective leadership would have allowed that to occour) and explain in the future how we could better serve the customer by doing xxxx.

The situation would have never ever escalated.

Let’s say the situation went the way yours did…at the first sign of a heated discussion I would have shut my mouth and become a peace maker,which is one of the jobs as a manager. Instead you are sooooo fearful they don’t respect you or your authority you are forcing it on them. You are stating all kinds of injustices to the other drivers and your boss. This only further weakens your authority.

If she is the nut case you describe you need to learn how to deal with her…what motivates her? You want to rant about her language, about her attitude and this that and the other but clearly she is valuable to the company. You need to stop thinking of how you are going to get rid of her and start thinking about her strengths and how to use her to make you look better, as a manager.

If I was your boss I would be sooooo ticked at all the drama, YOU are bringing to the store. If you can’t figure out how to deal with this stuff you are not the right person for the job.

You are hired to be the problem SOLVER. Lesson number one: Never ever call a manager when they are off. Period. Why couldn’t you have just waited until they got there during their regular shift? Because you are soooooo focused on YOU and not respecting them and their time off.
You wanted the injustice YOU felt YOU got to be taken care of.

You sound like a great employee but I think you need to train yourself to be a great leader.

Kris

Last edited:

Kristi,

I have no doubt at all that you will become a good mananger of people. You have the two most important items already underway:
  1. Wanting to be good at it.
  2. Looking for resources to help you do it.
A lot of success in managing people comes from confidence. Knowing what needs to be done and knowing that you know (as somebody said already), communicating it in advance to to people whose efforts you need and, when something goes south, staying professional and results focused are very important.

ALL education is expensive. You have just been through a learning episode with some ragged edges. If it works out to advance where you are, great. If not, you need to know that employees who really want to be good at what they do and seeks ways to improve are both valueable and scarce. Don’t be afraid to move along.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Bodeghawy said it great. Keep learning about your strengths and weaknesses in working with people and managing them. Keep the drive to improve and grow. Vince Lombardi has been a model of leadership for me. Read some of his stuff if you get a chance. There are speeches and stuff online all over the place you might find useful. His model of leadership in the late 60’s made profound changes in management and personnel philosophies.

Last edited:
Back