Continue to Site

Menu expansion in pizza shops

perfect pizzas:
Code:
 I have a friend who sells an incredibly broad menu in his pizza place.  He knocks them dead and does approximately 300k/month in sales out of 1 location!  I choose to keep my menu much simpler and in the day when we sold nothing but pizza and soft drinks have sold and delivered over 8000 16" pizzas in a week.  Both concepts can work but I believe the more you add to your menu, the less you focus on your pizza.  The guy with a full menu CAN NOT give the service I can give with an extremely simple menu.  Neither one is the right answer for everyone.  Decide who you want to be.
It is so funny when we come around to the reality that “it depends on the market and the business plan”. We almost always do. 🙂 I have the skill set, experience and drive to use my operation to develop a menu that is diverse AND includes exceptional pizza. We have a growing pasta following; I am sourcing products for lamb shanks osso bucco; I have spent lots of time developing the training and product procedures for adding sauteed shrimp for pasta and pizza; polenta and casseroles are in the development pipeline.

I can assure you that it will be done fabulously or not at all. It will be the uncommon place that can pull it all off, maintain the branding identity, maintain quality and excel in service. Those that do will be the stuff of legends. Those who fail will shrink back to pizza menu or file bankruptcy . … and become the stuff of other stories. It is a risk that takes skills, planning and courage in order to succeed. Training and staff cohesion are survival tools.

If you have the resources, the skills and the plan to expand the menu within your business plan aind within your brand . . . then it can make you famous. (See Diners, Drive-ins and Dives) Don’t do it on impulse or half-arsed. DELCO is probably the most challenging to epxand out. I would say I would not do it with simply a DELCO since the stigma of cheap take-out food will be too hard to overcome thanks to hundreds of chinese places in NY and the Big3 nationwide.

Last edited:
Back