Continue to Site

Newbie Dough Sheeter question

The only big change to your dough making process I would say is to add the oil last (after mixing for 2-3 minutes). As it is now, you are probably getting some encapsulation of the flour, eg when the flour becomes coated in oil. That stops gluten formation.

If it was me, I would add the yeast to the water and sugar. Then add the flour and salt to the mixer, and pour in the yeast/water/sugar. Mix for 2.5 minutes, or until all of the flour is visibly wet, then add in the oil. I would save the garlic for the sauce.

Last edited:
I have to agree with the above poster, If your customers like your pizza, I would be reluctant to change anything in your recipe.

But you are right in wanting to change your efficiency on your line. I am not a pro on the dough fomulations, but I think what is causing the shrink back, is when you are rolling out you are adding more flour to it (we have the same thing using a sheeter).

have you tried pre-rolling the dough before use----I’ll ignore the fact that you don’t have time to do it, but you can put plastic on a pan and stack 10 high with plastic between the dough and that will save you time on the line, plus give the dough time to absorb the extra flour you put on.

As far as sheeters, I have used both Acme and Anets, as long as the rollers are good and the door closes I would not be afraid to buy used. I fully understand your disappointment with equipment failures—but sheeters are a mechanically simple machine.

Last edited:
We had a similar problem, rolling the dough was fine unless the inevitable influx of hungry people turn up and it got embarrisingly slow. Instead of getting a sheeter we trained some staff to hand stretch, which was a far cheaper option and worked out so much better. We can now get the pizzas out quickly, don’t need a more machine space and the customers, although they loved the pizzas before, are now even more impressed by our product.

So don’t be worried about making slight change, as long as it’s not to big a change. We are still novices but we can produce 2-3 bases in a minute. BTW, we live a few miles from the Dominos that as the Worlds fastest pizza making record, i think it was 3 pizzas, stretched and topped in 39seconds, although we are talking domino quality pizza 😃

Last edited:
I have posted a few of these, but Today’s post is also right on:

Trading in your pain
by Seth Godin
The pain of a lousy boss, of careless mistakes, of insufficient credit. The pain of instability, of bullying, of inadequate tools. The pain of poor cash flow, corrossive feedback and work that isn’t worthy of you.

Pain is part of work. And it leads to two mistakes.

The notion that you can trade your way out of pain.

“If I just get a little bigger, a little more famous, a little richer–then the pain will go away.”

This notion creates a cycle of dissatisfaction, an unwillingness to stick it out. There’s always a pain-free gig right around the corner, so screw this, let’s go try that.

The truth is that pain is everywhere, in every project and in every relationship and in every job. Wandering from one to another merely wastes your energy.

The other choice, though, is:

Embracing your current pain and avoiding newer, unknown pains.

This is precisely the opposite mistake. This leads to paralysis. Falling in love with the pain you’ve got as a way of avoiding unknown future pains gets you stuck, wasting your potential.

As usual, when confronted with two obvious choices, it’s the third choice that pays.

Last edited:
I appreciate all the comments, and suggestions. From this and other research I have done, I have come up with (what I think) are a couple of wins.

First off, we’re going to start warming the dough to room temp before working with it. After some tests, I really did forget how much of a difference that makes.

Second, I found a good deal on a DoughPro DPR 3000 in pristine condition, and I am going to buy it. The seller wants $1300 for it, and it really is nearly brand spanking new, so if it doesn’t work out, I believe I can get the vast majority of my money back re-selling it.

So I’ll keep working on refining the process and eventually get to (I hope) that holy grail of making skins 🙂

Thanks again for all the advice!

Last edited:
Sounds like a good deal on the DP machine. It’ll take a few passes to get it set to proper thickness, but you’ll quickly see a lot faster results.
A couple of further hints: Make sure the ball is smooth across the top and sides, no folds or layers.

Keep the rollers clean. A scraper works well, but it takes a lot of safety awareness to do it while the sheeter is running. Actually, it looks like this is a lot less likely to have those safety problems, compared to the classic Acme machine. Still, be cautious.

The machines aren’t that difficult to repair yourself. Which can be a good thing. Eventually, you may want to buy a second, to have a backup. They get a lot of use.

Last edited:
Right on! Good deal on the DP too.

A good idea to really pay attention the the finished crusts and test a LOT.

A cold 38 degree dough that is sheeted will cook differently than a 60 degree dough that is sheeted. For example, sheet a cold dough and par bake it. Do the same with a 60 degree. Par bake both at 475 ( I used decks) for 5 minutes. The cold dough will not be brown on top but the warmer dough will be brown. One would think 32 degrees is nothing on a 475 deck but it is. It makes a difference where a cold sheet dough will not be as crispy ( given all other toppings being the same) as a warm sheet dough cooked in the same amount of time.

I think that after 6 minutes of manual rolling as done in the past , your dough is plenty warm and you should experience the same result as letting the dough warm then sheet.

Last edited:
Code:
aj453 wrote:I have a somerset. I bought it used. Other than a switch going bad no problems in 3 years. This is a huge time saver. Though you will not want to sheet it out all the way as the bubbles will be awful. We sheet out half way, toss the other half. We take dough straight from the cooler with no problems
This seems contrary to logic. If the sheeter de-gasses the dough, why do you get more bubbles when using one?

I’ll post up the recipe and procedure tomorrow… man I need some sleep!

This seems logical. However I have realized that when making cracker crusts, I roll out the dough and fold it multiple times and re roll. This creates layers similar to a sheeted dough. I think steam gets trapped in between the layers causing the bubbles.

Last edited:
For crackers and layering, I make sure to dock the dough. Bubbles will be virtually eliminated.

BBH

Last edited:
Back