Continue to Site

Pizza Pot Pie

pie_bar_guy

Hi!

I have had some friends tell me that they had the pleasure of eating at a restaurant in Chicago named Chicago Pizza and Oven Grinder Co. They said they had the pizza pot pie and that it was delicious. They have now talked me into possibly adding this to our menu.

I’ve done a little looking around and it seems pretty straightforward, the only thing I don’t know about is the Sicilian bread type dough.

Does anyone make these or know anything about them that they can share with me? What is involved in making this type of dough?

Thanks to all in advance.

-PBG

Last edited:
PLEASE! Do yourself and your customers a great service, and use a sort of supreme/veloute instead of gravy. I come from the South, where pot pie is more a spiritual experience than dinner. Make a roux, add warm chicken stock (low sodium), then finish with cream or half and half(add mushrooms for a classic Supreme sauce). A little thyme (dried or fresh) will pique the flavor. Really, it won’t cost that much to increase the quality this much over a packaged chicken gravy mix.

If you mix all this up together with the chicken and veggies, you can portion into the pie with really good consistency, and make a great fusion calzone/pot pie.

Last edited:
the pizza pot pie is a pizza in the fashion of pot pie, it is not actually pot pie.

Last edited:
This looks to be nothing more than a slight twist on Chicago stuffed pizza.

You sheet out a bottom crust, toss in cheese and toppings, toss on a top crust, run a rolling pin over the edge of the pan to seal the edges and cut off the excess dough. Rip open a few vents for steam to escape, cook for about 20 mins or so, pull it out, slather a thick pizza sauce on top and stuff back in the oven for another 10 mins or so.

The product you’re referring to doesn’t do the sauce on top, but pretty much everything else is the same.

You need a dough sheeter for this process… hand stretching will give you a less than desirable end result.

Last edited:
we just saw those on tv, and i think they copyrighted the pizza pot pie, so be careful in what you call it. We’re using regular dough and sauce in our trials and it’s coming out good…

Last edited:
I know exactly what your talking about, we saw these on the food network and have tried many times to make, but we can’t seem to get it right, they dump them over and serve them almost in like a “bowl” but we can’t seem to get them to come out of the dish without a mess, it seems they just slide right out when they do it, so please if you figure out the secret to these please post as I would love to add it to our menu as well.

Last edited:
I dont see how regular crust would have the desired results for a pot pie. If you wanted to make a GREAT pizza pot pie, the crust would need to be a pie crust if you ask me. A bready or gluten heavy crust would seem to make a good thing very average.

When I have dined on pot pies and they werent made with pie crust I definately remembered and never ordered again.

It isnt that tough making a good pie crust, it is what I would suggest.

Last edited:
Patriot'sPizza:
Hey Nick - ya know the difference between sauce & gravy? about $6
I feel ya 🙂 I just had the shudders to think someone would use a pouch of ‘chicken gravy mix’ and make the pies.

On a 'nother note, I do know that the pizza pot pie in question was a reconfigured stuffed pizza . . . I love the idea of fusion cuisine for the similar concept of making an actual chicken pot pie in this same construction . . . no need to worry about copyright, patent or trademarking . . .just us ea different name for this all new concept. Heve, throw in a little ricotta and it’s a “calzone pasty”.

Last edited:
A couple q’s:
  1. What’s a good pan to do this in (I don’t use pans for pizza now)
  2. Does the bottom crust “climb” up the sides? Does it flop out with excess that you “pinch” together with the top crust?
Thanks!

Last edited:
I am from Illionis and ate at this place about 30 years ago, or close to that. Anyway I alwasy remembered it and have tried to dupicate it recently. then I saw it on the food network. So far I can’t get it to turn out right. We cook in a ceramic salad bowl, put cheese in first, provalone and mozza slices work better than shredded, then put in topping and sauce last, cover with dough and put a couple vent holes in and cook. The problem is we cook at around 500 degrees and the crust cooks much faster than the inside. We have cooked the inside without the crust for 6 or 7 minutes and then pull out and add crust and put back in for 6 or 7 minutes and doens’t turn out bad. We also found that if you put the sauce in the bowl it will get watery so serving the pizza in a bowl with a side of warm sauce would work best. I have looked for a thin ceramic bowl to cook faster but can’t find out, it is a pain to try and take a bowl out of the oven hot and then add a pizza dough to the top when it is hot. As of now we don’t serve it but if you can find a way to cook it all at once and get the inside good adn hot please let me know. I was going to call it bowl of pizza or pizza bowl. Hope this might help. I don’t believe the grinder co uses red sauce in their pizza pot pie, I think they use a garlic sauce.
kel

Last edited:
Yeah - same basic issue here with experiments on similar items. I am wondering if they’re baking at 350 or something…

Last edited:
When we cooked them, the insides did not get done when the crust was, so the next time we experiment, we’ll set the ovens to 350 or 400. The best result we had was a chicken alfredo with mushrooms.

We use a ceramic soup bowl and when it’s done we turn it over and use a spoon to get out everything, but it still looks good. Next time we might spray the bowl with a crisco spray to keep it from sticking.

Last edited:
I intend to experiment this weekend with some 4" non-stick springform pans I have hanging around. They could turn out a spectacular product . … or a soggy mess. Gotta see. I am going to find some instructions for an Italian ricotta torte that is a tall and round ditty done in a larger spring form pan . . . it will be a starting place for me to get the baking technique down.

All you conveyor guys might end up having troubles with the center not baking quickly enough to keep up with the crust. Covering with foil for a couple of passes might work, or warming the innards before filling the pie.

Last edited:
I’ve gotta do some more reading, but I am thinking that the key is going to be slowing down the oven or at least the dough cooking speed. 350F to 400F would probably give you a better heat permeation to the center of the filling to get it to 160-165F. I’ll let you know if I find anything useful this weekend or next week.

I won’t test it until next week at the earliest, but rest assured that any testing results will come here first!

Last edited:
If this were to become a large portion of sales, or you wanted to do other things I would very highly suggest looking for a used stationary blower oven which could be used for such things like pies, cookies, pastries, breads etc. A conveyor oven will have a difficult time with a thick product like you guys are discussing. Even at its BEST, a conveyor oven will never come close to an appliance meant to produce the product in question.

Not giving away my past but after working for more years than I want to admit and more free time on my hands, I havent found many non-pizza items that work well at all with a conveyor oven, yet I knew MANY organizations that would force it, make a less than acceptable product rather than either scrapping the idea or paying some money for equipment that was meant to make the product.

Many might not like that response but to me if you are going to make a product and sell it and stake your reputation on it business wise, why force a conveyor oven to perform outside its intended purpose?

Last edited:
  1. I ate there 2 years ago, and I believe the “pot pie” is only available in mushroom, but I could be wrong. I also don’t believe it had pizza sauce.
  2. My experience is that it needs to be cooked at 400 degrees, for over 20 minutes. which is why I gave up on it. I don’t keep an oven at 400 during the rush, and I can’t imagine timing out a table’s food with a 20 minute pizza, plus maybe an 8 minute pizza, sandwiches, etc…you see where I’m going.
Good luck on the experiments.

Last edited:
Back