Continue to Site

POS Systems.....help. Pizzeria POS?

So it is the leasing company that is raping people. How come I could not find any info (zero, zip, zilch, nada) on the web site concerning price? I saw many things about the software that I liked. Is it for sale by itself? Can I buy my own system and install everything myself using your software? Or is it that the only way that I can get your software is to get your system? I have seen what Haarvik is saying. A company takes a basic $499 Dell (you can compare the specs, they are the bottom line Dells), adds a magnetic card reader and their proprietary, software that isn’t available for sale separately and charge $2000 for it. You can’t fault them for it. They are just trying to make a buck like everyone else. Pure capitalism. Don’t like it, don’t buy it. Again, I can’t say that I fault them for it…I just WON’T pay that much for a system.

Last edited:
Wiseguy,
the reason there is no pricing on the website is because it is a customized system.
I liken it to calling you up and asking “how much is food?” you’d need a bit more info before giving a price. Same thing for us, plus MANY times people will look for a 1 station price. 1 station will never (or extremely rarely) be enough to run your restaraunt. When we give a price we want that price as accurate and dead on as possible. MOST times this involves an ON SITE visit and demonstration before quoting. To give general pricing would end up being misleading, possibly too low and possibly too high. for example: a guy may think he needs a receipt printer for each station when in fact 1 in between two will work with our system, or two ply paper at a kitchen station versus 2 seperate printers. would you want flat screens or fanless all in on screens? would you want credit card readers and or finger print readers?

We leave pricing off because we WANT people to call and have a discussion about what it is they are looking for and need.

and yes, the leasing companies make a bunch of money on a lease but to be fair to them, they are the ones taking a chance (albeit minimal) that they get their money back from you.
And finally: under the right circumstaces we would sell just software, we’d want to make sure your very well aware of what you are getting yourself in to doing it that way first.

We’ve been around 20 some years in this industry, we didn’t get this far for so long gouging people, or not treating people fairly and properly

Last edited:
Signature Systems:
We leave pricing off because we WANT people to call and have a discussion about what it is they are looking for and need.

and yes, the leasing companies make a bunch of money on a lease but to be fair to them, they are the ones taking a chance (albeit minimal) that they get their money back from you.
And finally: under the right circumstaces we would sell just software, we’d want to make sure your very well aware of what you are getting yourself in to doing it that way first.

We’ve been around 20 some years in this industry, we didn’t get this far for so long gouging people, or not treating people fairly and properly
For many customers, that is a very pragmatic means of managing the sale. My problem is that I have to invest 30 to 60 minutes with a salesperson before they will admit to me that they are selling a product that is simply out of my budgetary and process needs and range. I need a ONE STATION system for my shop. I’ve had every rep try to talk me out of it, and always end up hanging up unsatisfied. I know all the pros and cons of the one station thing, and have realized that the huge money systems are prohibitive to a small operation looking to move forward, but not the same as a $1million gross shop. I am certain all these fancy POS companies are selling quality products and support. I CANNOT AFFORD $13-15K FOR THREE STATIONS. I don’t care if it can toss dough and fold boxes as well.

I found that buying software and building my own hardware is the route I need. I have skills and resources that will get me through the majority of stuff I need to deal with. I will pay for support to get through what my local network admin/computer support guy won’t fix. He works for pizza when he isn’t on his day job. Give or take a null modem printer cable, I’ve built a sweet little single station for under $1700. That is what I needed to do, and none of the full service systems could do it.

Last edited:
Signature Systems:
Wiseguy,
the reason there is no pricing on the website is because it is a customized system.
I liken it to calling you up and asking “how much is food?” you’d need a bit more info before giving a price.
Come on…you want to use the restaurant analogy? I wasn’t calling you, I was looking at your menu. When your looking at a menu, most of them have prices listed for each item. Then they usually have a slightly discounted pricing for combinations of products. Your menu doesn’t even say “Market Price”. And yes I, like Nick, need a ONE STATION system. I don’t need someone spending an hour on the phone with me telling me that I have to have two stations. And then having them tell me that this system will cost more that my car. Paying way too much for hardware that is already outdated…or will be in two weeks…sorry mate, not me. Looks like a couple of new $499 dells and Point of Success is what Dion Warwick is predicting for me.

Last edited:
Please do not get me wrong on this topic. Research and development costs must be recovered, and there are different models for recovering that investment and required projections of ROI. It is really similar to our buying a new pizza oven . . . how much do we raise prices to recover the investment in the time we need it.

I am personally interested in software systems wherein I can utilize my life and work experience to save me some dollars. The $15K-for-3-computers systems do not afford me that flexibility. What turns me off as an individual consumer is refusal to sell the software without the hardware. I can understand some of the decision . . . having to support the software on an infinite number of hardware variations . . . having to staff more support staff to meet increased support demands . . . higher training expenses for various topics. The list will go on in terms of the labor economy. The smaller, software only systems may soon feel more heat to develop and advance their packages to keep up with the market and the desires of the operators who provide word of mouth referrals. It is a self-building market in many ways.

Another reality is that there is a definitive profit margin that can be realized on hardware that simply cannot be justified to customers in the software alone. Psychologically, the customers often will rationalize spending extra $$$ on a real-live thing they can see on the floor or desk that would not rationalize on a software system.

There are SO MANY options out there these days in the marketplace that we can decide our needs, establish a budget and go to shopping. This is a good time in history to own a pizzeria that is shopping for a POS.

Last edited:
Nick, thank you for trying to inject some civility into this thread. POS is definitely not a one-size-fits-all proposition. I have always believed that there is plenty of room in the segment for all the competitors. Competition benefits buyers most of all. Compare pizzeria POS options now to what you had five years ago. There is no comparison! The systems are better, the service is better, and you have a huge variety of choices.

POS sellers are forced to be responsive to customer needs or to go away, us included, parhaps more than the others. We are always the target of the “you get what you pay for” accusation. That’s a good thing because we are forced to give you more than you pay for.

Last edited:
Jeff Ward:
Nick, thank you for trying to inject some civility into this thread. POS is definitely not a one-size-fits-all proposition. I have always believed that there is plenty of room in the segment for all the competitors. Competition benefits buyers most of all. Compare pizzeria POS options now to what you had five years ago. There is no comparison! The systems are better, the service is better, and you have a huge variety of choices.
Competition in a free market (or market that approaches free) will always benefit the consumer. I sincerely believe that . . . and believe it to the point that I DON’T LIKE being the only dining option in town :shock:

Oh! I also didn’t mention that there is a possibly large segment of this marketplace that is driven by support services. NOW we have interjected into the business model the ability to provide affordable, reliable, trainable, competent staff to support your product. The more product you put out there with your name, the more tech support you gotta provide during peak service hours. That costs money and resources . . . each POS company has to allocate their limited resources as they see it fitting into their business model and plan. AND they have to go about generating revenues to cover the exsenses plus generate projected profits. Those $15K systems have to provide a lot of high dollar monkeys to answer the phones for the “introductory support period” to explain that “No” the POS computer actually does not have a cup holder standard feature.

Last edited:
Back