Continue to Site

Printer Setup Help

December

Let me start by saying I suck at computers.
My store has a pos system (using Adelo) that I aquired when we started.
For the past 4 years I ran my store verbally, the phone person would get the order Id take the ticket and callout the order then place the ticket on either the ‘pickup slip minder’ or ‘delivery slip minder’. My guys would make the food and hand it to me id wrap/box/bag it up and quality check. Id organize the deliveries by direction etc. It worked ok at first. I got used to the constant ‘whats on the pizza again?’ ‘Is this sub toasted?’ Then it got to a point where Id have 40 tickets on my slip minders and a pile of 15 needing to be called out and hung up. Meanwhile Im trying to wrap subs answer questions, catch mistakes, bag up deliveries, hand out pick ups, and make sure every order had everything it needed, all while hearing the phones double ringing and my online ordering tablet alarm going off. It was a bottleneck, it worked ok when we were doing $500 hours but now we do $1600 hours all the time.
A couple weeks ago I decided to start printing a duplicate ticket for every order. One ticket for me, one ticket for the cooks. Id say start order 114 115 117 etc.
My god it works soooo much better than calling out orders verbally. Now im trying to catch up with how fast the food is pumping out.
Anyway my pizza guy, grill guy, and fryer guy are all sharing the same ticket. Id like to be able to have another printer just for my pizza guy. The grill and fryer can share a ticket bc they right next to eachother.
Ive tried plugging an extra printer and just hoped it would work if I routed pizzas to that printer but it doesnt. I asked my dad he said something about installing a driver?? No clue how to add a new additional printer. Please help me.

Last edited:
Let me start by saying I suck at computers.
Ive tried plugging an extra printer and just hoped it would work if I routed pizzas to that printer but it doesnt. I asked my dad he said something about installing a driver?? No clue how to add a new additional printer. Please help me.
Hi,
You would need to install the driver for the printer on each station and the installation will depend on what interface the printer has. I’m assuming it’s an ethernet printer, so you would need to get the IP address of that printer and use it while installing the driver on each computer station. After the installation is successful and you have printed a test page, you can go to aldelo back office > store settings > printers > kitchen/bar > and assign the printer to a station, give it a name and printer type and font type. See screenshot below:
2018-01-06 03_41_44-Station Settings.png

That however even though it is the correct steps you need to do in order to add a printer, doesn’t guarantee you that your pizzas will be printed to an additional printer if the pizzas are not assigned that way when they were initially setup.
In that case you will need to go to each item settings tab by going to Back office > Setup > Menu Setup > Menu Items > choose the item you want to edit/assign the printer (If it’s a top level item then select “No” to edit the sub-level items).
Once you’re in the settings tab of the item, on the “Page 1” tab you’ll see “Send to Printer at” Kitchen for example. Change that to whatever number the new printer is or any name you gave it when set it up in aldelo printer settings.
2018-01-06 03_49_46-Menu Item Editor.png

If you still have problems with it, I can help you remotely complete the installation.
You can download teamviewer from here: https://download.teamviewer.com/full and give me a call at (508) 254-1470
I’m an authorized Aldelo Reseller btw and my name is Stefanos or Steve. Whatever works for you best.

Anyways, good luck and if you need help don’t hesitate to call me 🙂

Last edited:
For your volume, I would invest in a new pos system that will make you more efficient.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
RobT is right… and maybe move away from printing all those tickets and use a computer screen? Our cooks make the orders from the screen and never mess with a printed ticket. If you have more than one station a POS should be able to send the pizzas to one screen and the fryer stuff to another etc .

Our drivers check the runs out on the computer. When they do that the computer assigns the order to them (for cash responsibility) and only prints the run slip for them at that time along with CC slip if needed.

The only things that get printed are the labels for the boxes (prints at the time the order is to be made) and the run slip when the driver checks out the run. No other paper floating around.

I know some places really prefer the paper slips in the kitchen… but I don’t get why.

Last edited:
RobT is right… and maybe move away from printing all those tickets and use a computer screen? Our cooks make the orders from the screen and never mess with a printed ticket. If you have more than one station a POS should be able to send the pizzas to one screen and the fryer stuff to another etc .

Our drivers check the runs out on the computer. When they do that the computer assigns the order to them (for cash responsibility) and only prints the run slip for them at that time along with CC slip if needed.

The only things that get printed are the labels for the boxes (prints at the time the order is to be made) and the run slip when the driver checks out the run. No other paper floating around.

I know some places really prefer the paper slips in the kitchen… but I don’t get why.
Ive created a big mess running the store verbally with tickets. I contacted Mike Anthony from microworks awhile back, based on a friends recommendation and I think yours.
Im concerned with all the hardware needed bc my stores cooking area is tiny.

Last edited:
48.png

Hi,
You would need to install the driver for the printer on each station and the installation will depend on what interface the printer has. I’m assuming it’s an ethernet printer, so you would need to get the IP address of that printer and use it while installing the driver on each computer station. After the installation is successful and you have printed a test page, you can go to aldelo back office > store settings > printers > kitchen/bar > and assign the printer to a station, give it a name and printer type and font type. See screenshot below:
2018-01-06 03_41_44-Station Settings.png

That however even though it is the correct steps you need to do in order to add a printer, doesn’t guarantee you that your pizzas will be printed to an additional printer if the pizzas are not assigned that way when they were initially setup.
In that case you will need to go to each item settings tab by going to Back office > Setup > Menu Setup > Menu Items > choose the item you want to edit/assign the printer (If it’s a top level item then select “No” to edit the sub-level items).
Once you’re in the settings tab of the item, on the “Page 1” tab you’ll see “Send to Printer at” Kitchen for example. Change that to whatever number the new printer is or any name you gave it when set it up in aldelo printer settings.
2018-01-06 03_49_46-Menu Item Editor.png

If you still have problems with it, I can help you remotely complete the installation.
You can download teamviewer from here: https://download.teamviewer.com/full and give me a call at (508) 254-1470
I’m an authorized Aldelo Reseller btw and my name is Stefanos or Steve. Whatever works for you best.

Anyways, good luck and if you need help don’t hesitate to call me 🙂
Hi I was trying to use a star tsp 700 printer connected with a usb cable. Dont know if I said that right. thanks for the contact info.

Last edited:
Hi I was trying to use a star tsp 700 printer connected with a usb cable. Dont know if I said that right. thanks for the contact info.
You have a serial printer. If you have the option of sending it back and getting a network printer instead, I would do that. The extra cost is worth it.

Last edited:
Im concerned with all the hardware needed bc my stores cooking area is tiny.
In our kitchen and driver areas we have the computers on shelves mounted on the wall. The makeline screen is right above the cheese bin. Driver screen is right above the table where they load the hot bags. Network cables are routed through the ceiling and drop down to the machines.

Last edited:
If its a usb printer, where would you connect it if it’s in the kitchen? A usb printer should be connected and installed to a computer and shared thru the network to be available for installation on other computers. Not the best way…
That most likely won’t work for what you want to do. You can either do what Mondo said, or buy only the interface card (the part where it changes the connection from usb to ethernet).

Either way I totally agree with Bodega & RobT. You should invest in a much better system for your volume and maybe kitchen displays. Eventually you will have to…

Last edited:
Speedline would solve all these issues for you December. That is, if you wanted to upgrade everything. If your current POS has the ability to add Makeline Screens or Bump Bars, you’d speed up your processes even further.

Any questions feels free to PM me

Steve

Last edited:
My store current uses tickets only, no bumps or screens. I’m looking to upgrade possibly this year but my pos company hasn’t got back to me on cost.

There is a more efficient way for you December , and that’s bump bars. I’m very hesitant for change but I think bumps will make me more efficient.

Don’t forget integrated online ordering too. It’s a real must for efficiency .

Last edited:
Don’t forget integrated online ordering too. It’s a real must for efficiency .
100% Agreed. I would think that most indy shops that are doing online ordering are doing 25% of their business or more with it now. We are a little less because so much of our business is tourist but even still we do about 15-20% and closer to 30% in the off season.

Fully integrated means that they can place the order and pay for it without having to call you and it is entered right into your system seamlessly. Labels are printed, the order appears on the makeline etc all without anyone having to enter it.

Last edited:
You guys are describing my dream setup.
Problem was when I started didnt have alot of money, so we went with low cost options.
Now im trying to fix and make more efficent.
Going to pull the trigger soon.
Whats a bump bar?

Last edited:
You guys are describing my dream setup.
Problem was when I started didnt have alot of money, so we went with low cost options.
Now im trying to fix and make more efficent.
Going to pull the trigger soon.
Whats a bump bar?
Just another name for a makeline screen. The setup is simple on the surface. For example, we have two screens. One for all dough related items at one end of the makeline and the other for everything else, including our fryer. However, our fryer is just an auto dump fryer so it doesn’t take much to man and we don’t have a grill. Anyway, when a customer orders, the POS directs the items ordered to the specific screen needed to be made. Typically, you’d be going in order from top to bottom or left to right depending on your screen layout. So when you clear the first item (we use line item, which is one item at a time) you press 1 on the bump bar, which is a glorified keyboard, that item leaves your screen.

When the order is placed, the items go to the screens automatically and then we have it set to print the full ticket at the oven so the oven person can coordinate deliveries that go together and basically say which orders we’re holding off I and which can go in. It’s typically a very very smooth process that would most likely speed your processes up a lot. If you ever go through a drive through, you can see the screens they’re looking at at the window, that’s pretty much a bump bar just used in a different way for their processes

Last edited:
You can get a lease/purchase arrangement for these systems. Typically 3 years with a $1 buy-out at the end. That gives you a monthly payment for those three years rather than having to come up with it all at once. Effective interest rates on the leases can be a bit high so a straight purchase is cheaper but in any case a full featured POS will save you more money than the difference between a really good system and one that does not offer the ability to expand and add features.

Last edited:
Jamie- Prism just got connected yesterday if you want to come up and play with it. Not 100%… running some cables now but we took some “orders” got the receipt printers, blaster working, etc
I have 2 order stations, M/L and office so pretty simple.
Install was less than fun as I’m bad with computers and the crappy diagrams from Prism did little to help.
I love the spot where they show the EMV reader next to the POS station on the diagram with no lines, wires or explanation how to hook it up.
I’m not good with new stuff at this point in my life so it’ll just take me some time, I guess.

Last edited:
Hey guys do these pos companies help with delivery routing?
Say if order 2 comes in within ten minutes of order 1, and theyre in the same delivery area will it group them for me?
I know I can ask the pos companies directly but half the time I get some vague answer

Last edited:
Say if order 2 comes in within ten minutes of order 1, and theyre in the same delivery area will it group them for me?
I know I can ask the pos companies directly but half the time I get some vague answer
With LiveMaps by Speedline you’ll see pinpoints in real time with Bing Maps. We have a 32” Tv at both locations to view this. A friend of ours put in a 50” or 55”. It won’t specifically show you what two go together, but by seeing it on the map, you can come to your conclusion rather fast on that. It also has the pinpoints turning White (new order) Yellow (after 15 minutes in store) and Red (after 30 minutes in store) to show you that you can either wait to double those deliveries or to say, that one is red, it needs to go I can’t wait any longer. (Colors and Timing algorithms are able to be adjusted for your liking) additionally, Speedline’s dispatch works off of bing maps live traffic to give you a very accurate return time for your driver so if you time your deliveries, the food will almost always be as hot as possible when getting to the customer. Maybe Someone from Speedline will read this and reach out to you. I think I’m very accurate in my answer, but technology is always changing

Steve

Last edited:
They will all tell you they do, but most will just separate the deliveries into zones. I remember when I was talking to the Revel sales reps they swore that the system would do everything and I would never have to dispatch a driver again. I doubt that’s the case, but I never got far enough with them to find out for sure. None of those guys had any experience actually using their system so it was hard to believe anything that came out of their mouth.
I use Thrive POS and it works pretty similiar to how Steve describes Speedline’s system, except it uses google maps instead of bing. At any terminal, you can see deliveries pinpointed on a map along with real time traffic from the dispatch screen. Makes dispatching a breeze. Also calculates the mileage of each delivery or route (if more than 1) if you wanted to reimburse your drivers by the mile rather than by the delivery.

Last edited:
I’d love to go to bump bars but can’t figure how to go without tickets on the line. I.e. you have 25 pizzas coming down the line with some normal, some easy sauce, some easy cheese, some extra cheese, some a “thinner” crust, some 1/2 extra cheeee, etc. How does someone on the line know which is which without tickets attached?

FYI, we use Prism by Microworks and highly recommend them. While I really don’t care for the interface, and find the programming not very intuitive, the system is rock solid. The system has never gone down and their support is top notch. I don’t care about how many bells & whistles a system has, the support is the most important element of any POS system.

Last edited:
Back