Scale for toppings

@December you are keeping the cheese refrigerated while on the scale, right?

We have 3 scales and a bowl for each topping and scale everything that goes on the pizza. We can do a pizza every 30 seconds from start to in the oven with the right staff.
I have a bin that holds 10lbs of diced cheese in it, it’s kept under the salad bar on the top shelf when pizzas are ordered I take it out and put it on top of the scale after the rush or order is over its put back

Last edited:
My supplier hosed me last week by not having my Diced Grande LMWM in stock, so I got shred, and block. I ran the block through my meat grinder with a 1/4" plate and got a very usable product close to diced in usability, but the weight to volume ratio was off
Using the cups, it weighed the same as shredded does, so we went up with our cup sizes across the board to hit our target weight
My point; If you have the time and a sturdy #22 or #32 grinder, you get consistent weights using cups, but the volume is not as dense as the true diced, so check your target weights and adjust accordingly to compensate.
I will most likely continue to get diced because the labor costs involved with grinding the cheese will probably outweigh any savings I may see. And less chance for screw-ups and waste that will end up costing me even more.
Are you talking about the meat grinder attachment for my mixer?
The one with the auger, star knife and plates right? I didn’t think you could put cheese through that

Last edited:
Are you talking about the meat grinder attachment for my mixer?
The one with the auger, star knife and plates right? I didn’t think you could put cheese through that
Absolutely!
Make sure that your blade has the sharpened side against the plate, I keep my grinder in the cooler at all times when not in use,
We grind 80 pounds of pork at a time for our sausage, and they do generate heat during use, so chilling them before use goes along way.

Last edited:
I love that attachment I use it all the time! We buy “flap meat” I don’t know the proper name its unpeeled I trim it. The perfect pieces are steak tips all the trimming go through the grinder for steak and cheese subs. We get rave reviews on both!
I’m going to try passing some cheese through it thanks for the tip

Last edited:
With our quiet afternoons, I see zero incremental labor cost for doing our own cheese. I am paying someone to be there, they might as well be doing prep.

Last edited:
Gotrocks, how do you prep the cheese from block for the grinder? I’m guessing small cubes… Or long rectangular pieces?

Last edited:
Gotrocks, how do you prep the cheese from block for the grinder? I’m guessing small cubes… Or long rectangular pieces?
Just long pieces, that fit thinner than the neck of the grinder, the worm-shaft will grab them and pull them right through, but keep a tamper handy just in case.
I keep a 50# capacity meat lug under the grinder to catch the cheese on it’s way out.

Like I mentioned earlier, refrigerating the grinder attachment does help increase your yield when grinding it.

Let me know how it works out for you, as I mentioned earlier if measuring with portion cups, it will come up lighter than true diced in the same sized cup. I found it near identical to the diced versus shred difference.
Glad I could help and be able to toss an old idea out there for someone to try.

Last edited:
Anyone have a good scale these days? We’ve been using the Yamato PB200 but honestly, the latest version, was a piece of crap and didn’t last 3 months. Looking for something that plugs in, registers quickly and the digital reader mounts to a wall.

Thanks

We use these…Amazon.com

I have two - 25# scales on the pizza line and the 12# scale on my sandwich line. Everything gets weighed. No problem with them.

Back