Continue to Site

Scam alert- happened twice today

48.png
pizzapiratespp:
I was feeling a little left out, but yesterday they called one of our locations. I feel better now. šŸ™‚
Sorry it took me a while to make my calls from East coast to West! Next time I will start in SoCal. By the wayā€¦ we still on for the big delivery? Double your tip if you say we are! 8)

I have finally made it big time! :). I got my 1st one of these today, and thanks to this thread, I knew it was b.s. about 8 seconds into the call. And about 20 minutes after I got off the phone with the scammer, my buddy who owns a shop 2 towns over called me with the exact same thing. Iā€™m assuming these people choose a region and call evey pizza place in the surrounding areas, so if you live in the Midwest - watch out!

Also, I dont believe the relay operator was involved in the scam. He couldnt specifically warn me, but did say sarcastically ā€œthe caller would like you to add a tip of $1000ā€ (to the 800 dollar order). I asked him if he was required to type everything I say - he replied ā€œyes, typing that right nowā€. That made the ā€œhandicappedā€ person disconnect. I then asked the relay operator if he has this happen often, and he responded ā€œdailyā€.

It would be so nice to find a way to scam these guys back! Iā€™ll put my thinking cap onā€¦

Last edited:
I am in Indiana and got mine last night at 9pm. I really do wish there was something, I told the operator we have online ordering for the hearing impaired and we DO NOT over charge credit cardsā€¦call disconnected

Last edited:
I think next time I will tell them we do not do orders that large and give them the phone number for Little Caesers.

Last edited:
Rockstar pizza:
I am in Indiana and got mine last night at 9pm. I really do wish there was something, I told the operator we have online ordering for the hearing impaired and we DO NOT over charge credit cardsā€¦call disconnected
You obviously got a scam and good job for denying the call!

That said,DO give any relay call a chance the first few seconds or minutes,listen,and just to make sure its not an actual deaf person calling using the relay service where you are located,before hanging up on them.

There are many deaf people that have a Video phone,using high speed dsl or cable,making relay calls,but do not have a computer to place orders online using a computer.Your common sense will tell you within a minute or so if its a scam or legit call based on the order info.

I know many deaf people that use a relay call,and businesses keep hanging up on them,assuming its fraud,scam or etc. before they even get past Hello.

Most deaf folks understand why,but its frustrating for them,that they cannot be legit customers because some scammers are taking advantage of the system somewhere.

I would have you known,its a form of discrimination to force a deaf person to use online ordering when they have the vrs relay to place an order just like a person that can hear would call you.Thats why the service is there,to grant equality and allow deaf people to use the same services any other customer would.

It may sound silly to many,but you cannot legally force them to order online when you allow your hearing customers to order online,or simply call you and place orders as well.

If a scammer called you on the phone,within a minute or so,you would know if it was a scam.The orders,tips,or over charges would be insane amounts.You would say to yourself BS,and hang up.You can do the same for relay calls.This is meant for everyone dealing with these calls.

Iā€™m just trying to spread a little awareness.Its terrible that people will use the systems that are meant to help others trying to live a better quality of life,only to be told,they cannot anymore because of all the scammers out there making it tougher for them.

Last edited:
think you misunderstood, when I told the operator that we do not overcharge credit cards the call was disconnected by them!

Last edited:
i get these calls about once every 2 weeks nowā€¦we do have a regular who orders like this so our quick and easy out is ā€œWE ONLY ACCEPT CASHā€ to any of these HUGE ordersā€¦instant hang-up

Last edited:
Hello this Rodney i called the restaurant regarding a large pickup order i want to place so One of the employee gave me this Email address to contact and Send my request so i will like to Place Order for 120 large pepperoni (16 inches) pizzas with Pepperoni toppings for my Dadā€™s B-Party and This is a pick up order so it will be pick up by 4:30pm by my private courier services on the 29th of this month So please i will like you to get back to me with the Total cost Price and also i will be making the full payment with my Credit card so please get back to me asap For us to proceed

Regards
Rodney

I got the above via email todayā€¦at $13.25 per pie, next Friday is shaping up to be a good one. šŸ˜ƒ

Last edited:
Rockstar pizza:
think you misunderstood, when I told the operator that we do not overcharge credit cards the call was disconnected by them!
If you meant me,No I did not misunderstood,I seen it was a scam as you posted.

That aside,I Was just adding a little more info for awareness for anyone to read.I am glad most of you folks can tell right away its a scam call.Just donā€™t force your deaf customers to order online only instead,simply because one might view all relay calls as scams.I hate scammers,and because of them,people that really need this relay service is getting hung up on at times,even when their calls are legit.

Indianapolis has a large deaf population.I have family and friends that work at ISD school for the Deaf there.Just about all of them use the VRS relay to place calls.Many have told me they were hung up on as soon as the relay OP said,ā€œThis is a relay call from operator 12345ā€ or whatever their number is the operator uses.Like I said,use your common sense,and weed out the scammers before simply hanging up.

Last edited:
I had a individual a few years ago order $65,000 in equipment. We received a check for $90,000 from ā€œGolfsmithā€. The client advised that they had a credit from them and that we were to give the driver the difference in cash. We immediately called the corporate headquarters for ā€œGolfsmithā€. We found that they had checks stolen and that this was in-fact a fraudlent transaction. We called our local authorities. They filed the appropiate forms, but the driver never showed. Not sure who alerted who.

Another dealer I heard had a order for some mixers to Korea. The credit charge went through for the transaction inculding the air shipping charges; total around $9K. A week later after departure FedEx called from Korea to verify the shipment since there had been a number of fraudlent charges that they were involved in(shipping source). The dealer called to verify the charge and found out that it was in the status of being returned for a stolen credit card charge. The dealer stuck with equipment cost out of pocket, freight charge to Korea and now the decision to spend another $3K to bring the goods home. Dealer decided to cut losses and forfeit the freight in Korea.

It is getting harder to do business these days, spending good time and money on bad situations!

Last edited:
I just got one of these strange relay calls tonight, and it was a good thing Iā€™d seen this thread and also that I was working when it happened. My employee struggled to understand what the caller wanted, and eventually handed the phone to me. After it was translated to asking about price on 14-inch pepperoni pizzas and if we take credit cards, my brain went ā€œAh Hah!!! Iā€™ve read about this scam!ā€ The person then said she wanted to place a very large order for her motherā€™s birthday. I just replied that we donā€™t do large orders over the phone, and she disconnected the call, according to the operator.

Iā€™m so glad we have this discussion board to share stuff like this. Thanks, everyone!

Last edited:
Happens to me frequently. I always quote a price and then tell them there is a 500000. courrier fee payable in gold coins. They have stopped calling.

Last edited:
Today is my 15th day in business and I got this great order for catering for 250 people from this poor disabled lady who called using a relay callā€¦
I told her that for something that size I would need 50% down with someone coming in and showing proof of IDā€¦ hung up
Thanks to all of you this could have been a crippling foolā€™s taxā€¦

Last edited:
Back