Continue to Site

So, when should common sense kick in?

Give the order details and your card processer number to the police and they will be able to get all of the information they need to contact the issuing bank and card holder to start with at least asking about the charge. The other information gained here is if the idiots that scammed you and stole from you actually used their own card…this is just another link to them to help in this whole investigation. Ok…like I said before you all have your own opinions as what you would do…and for each his own. Some of us are willing to take the extra time and some of us are happy just letting it go. If you are not willing to try and recover the lost so be it. :roll:

qcfmike:
Give the order details and your card processer number to the police and they will be able to get all of the information they need to contact the issuing bank and card holder to start with at least asking about the charge. The other information gained here is if the idiots that scammed you and stole from you actually used their own card…this is just another link to them to help in this whole investigation. Ok…like I said before you all have your own opinions as what you would do…and for each his own. Some of us are willing to take the extra time and some of us are happy just letting it go. If you are not willing to try and recover the lost so be it. :roll:
I’ve had no luck in getting specific information from the processor on the card used in actual chargebacks. All I’m wondering is how it could be possible to get any information about a cardholder from the processor/issuing bank, especially on a transaction that was not disputed. Even the police would need a search warrant for that.

Last edited:
From what I understand you are correct in the fact that you the merchant can not get the personal information about the cardholder or bank unless it is obtained as disclosure for legal purposes and then yes you are basically handing them a court order or request from your attorney to hand over the information. Law inforcement during an investigation for theft and fraud are able to contact and get basic information such as name of card holder and issuing bank so they may investigate the offense. It is with this information that they can proceed as they see justified. This is where that first card comes into play. If it was also a stolen card…but maybe someone missed the charge and did not dispute it… then you have multiple offenses and I am sure they did not stop with a couple of pizzas or just two card numbers. That should get a little more attention with local law enforcement. If it was not a stolen card and you have these people still living at the same address I would still go after them even if the police will not help you. Go file a civil suit and have them served. Costs you only a minimal amount and then send them a certified letter asking for payment in full to settle the charges. Yeah this is a hassle but this is a larger theft and a matter of right and wrong.

qcfmike

I sort of agree about the doing the right thing BUT I suspect most of us are in business to make money and not to be crusaders of right and wrong.

Sometime its just better in the long run to report them, give the info you have, make sure you don’t get put in the same situation again and then let it go. As soon as you start sending legal letters etc etc for a $50 debt, you end up spending more money in costs and time that the debt you got stuck with in the first place so now you’ve lost twice as much.

Wiz

Last edited:
If it were me, I would gather all the information I had in the matter (order dates, names, phone numbers, addresses, and any credit card receipts that I still had in my possession from the customer who perpetrated) and file a report with the police. I would ask them if they were able to assign a criminal actipon to it, and let them do their jobs. also file a dispute of the chargeback with the CC company . . . though this will likely go nowhere.

Documenting the case with the police protects me in case it happens AGAIN with the same person. PLUS, I get to do a small service to the greater good by having established a point of repetition and pattern. We did such a thing, and we uncovered someone with an outstanding warrant who was carrying a fraudulant ID, actually doing check fraud, and was pursued & arrested. Never got any $$$ back, but we got the perp of the streets of our marketplace . . . . being a good citizen of the county.

Then get on with making pizzas for Easter weekend.

Last edited:
Wizzle I agree that it is not worth the hassle or the time for a $50 chargeback that in reality probably cost you a third of that out of pocket. But this is $150 and we have put more time into this than it probably would have taken to recover the funds. LOL. Lets go back to the day of the chargeback coming in the mail:
  1. Call customer and inquire about charge? We now know that the card is stolen…so let’s presume nobody answers.
  2. Go to Police and file report of incident and give them all information you have to the sale, the delivery, the previous sales and anything else you think is helpful.
  3. Have another long talk with all of your employees about company policies and why they exist and need to be followed.
All of that would not take up that much time or effort and then move on. If anything pans out it does. The one thing I would make sure of is that I know why the chargeback was sent in the first place before I made that phone call to the customer. Knowing that the card was stolen to begin with I might forego the call and go directly to the police and just let them handle it if they will for you. Either way I still hope that they recover their loss here and like I said it is a good lesson for everyone and a reminder of the scum that will always be out there no matter what we do. :shock:

I still question weather the merchant is considered a victim and has a leg to stand on in filing a police report. I know my local PD told me I couldn’t file a report and I do not know of anyone who has successfully done so.

Last edited:
48.png
paul7979:
I still question weather the merchant is considered a victim and has a leg to stand on in filing a police report. I know my local PD told me I couldn’t file a report and I do not know of anyone who has successfully done so.
Paul, I do not at all discount your local experience. Our local police department has the capability to accept a miscellaneous incident report, which is what we have done on numerous occasions personally and businessly (?) when we either did not wish to pursue legal action, or no specific legal action was possible. If it isn’t written down, then it didn’t happen. we simply submit a report and ask for a Dispatch case number for reference. Then it is recorded and searchable with 911 as well as local PD.

Whoever reads this, remember that your local police and/or sheriff may very well operate differently than ours.

Last edited:
48.png
paul7979:
Yep filed reports twice albeit I had to… get them to define what ‘victim’ meant, they said it was the person who had lost financially, and then when informed that I was the only person who lost out financially they dealt with it. Most police just aren’t interested in minor crimes so they will brush you off.

Nothing came of both investigations as I was told the cost of tracing mobile numbers etc would be disproportionate to the actual crime - I then gave up!

Last edited:
Back