Continue to Site

Take-N-Bake packaging

OK, so you’re making a Chicago style thin crust. I stand corrected. Keep in mind that as you go larger in diameter, it becomes increasingly difficult to maintain rigidity of the pan. Being a thin crust pizza, you will probably want to do the par-bake in the same pan that you market the pizza in. Donato’s Pizza (Columbus, Ohio) sells their take and bake pizzas in a low form aluminum foil pan with good success. With a cardboard circle under it there should be plenty of rigidity for sales and transport.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Last edited:
It would be cool if you could sell it to them on an actual pizza screen or pizza disc! Charge the customer a deposit to cover the cost, and encourage them to bring it back you to make their next pizza on in the greenest of fashions.

I’m guessing that there is no way that would fly with a health department… is there? Could you wash and reuse something that left the store???

Last edited:
A number of years ago I had the exact same idea. I would sell a pizza making kit, good, sturdy, black anodized pan, pizza cutting wheel, and apron. With the kit they would get money off on the next 5 pizza purchases. They would return with the pan, we would wash and sanitize it, add dough, dress to the order and par-bake for them. Not too much different from bringing your soft drink cup, or coffee cup in for a free or reduced cost refill. It could work. Something to explore with your local health department.

Last edited:
I made a take-n-bake tonight for one of our large works pizzas and all I can say is that using the MPress baking trays it was a fail.

Even wrapped in film wrap, it was barely able to keep itself from bending in half when supported in the middle. If you used two hands, one on each side, the tray would fold in the middle. I don’t see how people are using these things.

So, it’s back to cake circles and square parchment paper :\

Last edited:
Actually, the trays are not designed to be part of the packaging, they are only designed to make consumer handling easier and safer. Many take and bake stores will put the pizza (in the ovenable tray) either onto a card board circle or into a conventional pizza box for transport. The only real difference between a take and bake pizza (at the store level) is the fact that it is not baked, otherwise, its about the same as a delivery or carry out pizza, including the packaging.

Last edited:
I am far too tired and brain dead to remember, or even dig into my bag of goodies, but I saw what appears to be a good fit, Eco-friendly, and reportedly reasonably priced. I’ll try to find it tomorrow, but no promises. Good to 400F, even more in s :? pizza oven.

Last edited:
Back