Continue to Site

Tip Jar

• Thread starter Thread starter system
  • Start date Start date
Our employee tip jar is a beer pitcher (we do not serve beer) and there has been a sign on it for a decade that says 401K.

NOBODY has ever expressed displeasure with it being there. Reading the comments here has made realize again jusst how different all our different markets are from each other. Even the Starbucks here has a tip jar. Every carryout place in town has one. As high as wages are here, everyone also realizes they are not high enough to live here. The price of a 2000 square foot home here is between $600,000 and a $1,000,000.

Last edited:
Some days I am so glad my old shack is bought and paid for and I can live in a rural setting and do business around North America…RCS…

Last edited:
48.png
bodegahwy:
As high as wages are here, everyone also realizes they are not high enough to live here. The price of a 2000 square foot home here is between $600,000 and a $1,000,000.
Didn’t know you are in the same place as me 😉

Dave

Last edited:
48.png
bodegahwy:
Dave, that’s US dollars.
With the aussie $ now at 86 cents vs US$ it would work out about the same value.

The cashed up workers from the mining jobs are driving prices through the roof.

Dave

Last edited:
wa dave:
The cashed up workers from the mining jobs are driving prices through the roof.

Dave
Here it is the oilfield workers but it amounts to the same thing. My first house that I bought in 1976 for 32,000 just sold the other day for $320,000 and it is only 920 sq ft. Too bad I sold it 20 years ago.

Last edited:
Just signing on along with the “don’t like tip jar” at quick service counters camp.
We keep a tip jar UNDER the counter, and when a customer ASKS, the employees lift it up so the customer can tip. And they do also tip on credit cards. Those are being saved and pooled for an employee party…

Last edited:
at the job I just left we had a tip jar out, but we had a small bar and that’s where the tip jar was.

Last edited:
When we first started people were leaving tips on the counter, & used to get insulted when we wouldnt take them. So we wound up putting a tip jar on the counter. Some people leave tips some dont. There are 4 indys by me and none of them discount or advertise so when they use my coupons customers say Im to cheap and we deserve at least the tips…lolol I accept the tips and say thanx.

Last edited:
registered guest,You remind me of one of those peolpe who doesn’t tip at all.It is people like you that I wouldn’t even want in my place.Our customers throw 5.00 bills in jar like its nothing obviously they like us and enjoy tipping the young girls who are waiting on them hand and foot.This isn’t a shakedown this is just a really nice way to say thank you.You should try it one day and maybe your attitude will change for the better.
Niccademo

Last edited:
60.png
goomba:
registered guest,You remind me of one of those peolpe who doesn’t tip at all.It is people like you that I wouldn’t even want in my place.Our customers throw 5.00 bills in jar like its nothing obviously they like us and enjoy tipping the young girls who are waiting on them hand and foot.This isn’t a shakedown this is just a really nice way to say thank you.You should try it one day and maybe your attitude will change for the better.
Code:
                       Niccademo
Goomba - Lol. You don’t know me at all. Please re-read my posts, because nothing I said indicates that I don’t tip or that I’m against tipping. In fact, I’ve stated over and over again that if people want to tip, they will tip - without the jar.

In fact, I tip very well. No, I don’t tip counter people - and I never put tips in a tip jar. If I’m going to tip - I’ll give it directly to the person that I want to tip - so they know that I appreciate their specific service.

If you wouldn’t want me in your place because I won’t tip your counter people - well, so be it. You’ve EXACTLY proven my point - your tip jar is expected - and you think badly about those people that don’t put money in the jar. Oh, I know you’ll say is isn’t expected - but from what you just said, it obviously is!

Last edited:
Registered Guest:
Nick,

wouldn’t they do so without a jar being there?
Often times, no. Handing it to the person will just slow them down. A typical busy day at our slice location is about 700 slices or 120 16" pies. We do the vast majority of that business in about two hours. When we are really busy we are doing up to $1000 an hour in slices.

We are the least expensive place to eat on the ski mountain with a noisy fun environment. The customers seem to do pretty well waiting in line and we try to make it move fast, give them good pizza and smile. They seem to like to tip. There is often as much as $100 in the jar. When you serve 500 customers on a big day, that means that they mostly leave the change, but some folks add to it and leave $1.

It adds up quickly and is a big part of the reason that my crew loves to work that location.

Last edited:
We had a tip jar and the tips belonged to the people running the front. My daughter was a favorite and she really cashed in. Her tip jar was cleaned and decorated daily. Everyone that worked enjoyed it. BUT, the few times I ran the register, I took it down and people asked where it was.

People enjoy tipping good service and smiles. I thought tacky at first too but the customers wanted it.

PD

Last edited:
TIPS! To Insure Proper Service! TIPS have been around since the 16th century, and as they are today they are a gratuity, or a tribute paid to a servant (Server) or employee who performs a task for you.

To each there own. I feel that a tip jar to me is less tacky than the donation buckets that sit on the counters at various Burger Establishments, begging for your spare change.

The argument I guess against tips could be “The employer should pay his employees more, so they don’t have to solicit for tips” but in order to do this he may have to raise his prices, or offer a lesser portion, which will directly affect you the consumer. And of course any increase in wage would be taxed by the government, and the net effect would be much less than if you just dropped a little spare change in the bucket after every purchase.

Last edited:
I for one was against a tip jar at first, but was asked by several patrons that we needed one. So we tested it. Now, I like the idea. For one, it helps me distribute the tips amongst all of my team (cashiers, cooks, etc.). It didn’t seem fair before the tip jar when the cashiers were given tips and not a single penny ever reached the back of the house for the cooks.

Now, each week we empty the jar and split it evenly between all of the employees (Delivery people are exempt from the tip jar since they get their own tips on deliveries). Employees like it and I haven’t heard a single negative comment from the customers about it.

So, I’ll keep it up if it seems to keep positive employee morale.

Last edited:
“bodegahwy” said:
I have to disagree with you guys. The tip jar at our slice location (counter service/carryout) averages about $4 per hour PER EMPLOYEE. When we are busy enough to have four in the kitchen the tip jar takes in about $15-$20 per hour which is huge for the guys working there and leads to no recruiting problems for me.
quote]

I agree whole heartedly with you on this. Since my ‘Take a penny, leave a penny’ turned itself into a tip haven, we have decided to put out a larger vase-like jar to better handle the crumpled bills and excessive change. I used to think tip jars were tacky as a customer but now that I see what it generates in my workplace, not only cash, but camraderie and sincere service from my staff, I have since thought differently. My staff know their customer’s faces, even names and preferences, without relying on our POS! I think the pros outway the cons.

Last edited:
We also have a tip jar - though instead of being labeled as such, one of my staff drew a smiling Buddha on a small sign with the words “Good Karma Jar” on it. All customers who’ve commented at all on it tell me that it’s really clever.

I do have some rules regarding it, however: #1 - If I ever hear a staff member complaining about people being too cheap to put a buck in the jar, the jar will go away. #2 - If I ever have to resolve a dispute involving the jar, the jar will go away. #3 - Half of the tip from catering orders ($100.00 or more) goes into the jar.

I didn’t care for it at first myself, but, at least in my area, virtually every take out place has one. Customers expect it, and the ones who are totally turned off by it really have no recourse - they can take their business elsewhere, but that place is going to have a jar on the counter as well. I suppose you could argue that if I were the only one without a jar, I could draw all those disenchanted consumers, but they would be, for the most part, penny pinching, low profit customers at best.

It’s also an excellent tool to get the staff to take better care of customers. I recently challenged the staff to learn the name of at least one customer every day - told them that it would be a great way to give themselves a raise. It’s been about 2 weeks now, and they have been getting noticeably better tips. In the end, they’re going to be giving me a raise as well.

Last edited:
I think the tip jar is good and bad. I had an employee that stalked it. He would go over and check the tips during the night, he even put in a “starter dollar” which was very odd. Mind you, we have 4 people tops in the store during the busy times and do between $2000 and $3000 a week.

So, like some people have said, it depends on the individual store. But, my employee didn’t do more to earn the tips, he just felt he deserved the tips. And people forget that there’s more then 1 person in the store.

Just kind of interesting, I never saw that before.

Jim

Last edited:
Back