Continue to Site

Verifying checks...whose responsibility?

48.png
paul7979:
I for one haven’t seen the debit cards attached to any of my bank accounts since they were mailed to me. I guess that my wife has them filed somewhere but they have never been used.
But you do have them Paul. That’s my line of thinking when I say “everybody has one”. It’s time to do away with personal checks and get those people to get their debit cards out of their files.

People basically hand you a piece of paper and say “I promise there’s money in the account to cover this.” That seems absurd in this day and age.

Not to mention that it could be incredibly easy to create fake checks with a $50 photo printer. They might not be high enough quality to fool the authorities, but I’m sure you could get it past a 17 year old cashier during a dinner rush.

Last edited:
I don’t have a debit card and never have had one. What do I want it for?

Not everyone has one.

BTW, a LOT of our checks come from local businesses. I for one, do not pay for anything business related with a credit card. I always use a check.

Last edited:
48.png
bodegahwy:
BTW, a LOT of our checks come from local businesses. I for one, do not pay for anything business related with a credit card. I always use a check.
That’s why I said personal checks. I’ll take business checks all day long (from established businesses, of course.)

And I’m not saying everybody should have and use a debit card - cash is always welcome. I just think the the personal check is on its way out. I can’t think of many businesses here that accept them any more.

Last edited:
At least when a personal check bounces you have a legal claim to get paid.

Try that when someone contests a credit card.

I hear you about the difference between personal and business checks… but, at least where we live, personal checks are still accepted anywhere in town.

Last edited:
Back