Continue to Site

Wastage??

If waste included portion control issues pehaps so. Most operators would look at those things as different as they have different solutions. Portion control is the biggie.

Last edited:
Scott Hack:
Wouldn’t waste be able to be tracked with Actual Food Cost minus Expected Food Cost?
I would see this as a potential indicator of waste issues, but also the portion control mentioned earlier.

For me, 5# wasted meat or 40# spoiled chicken is more of a big deal than for bedegahwy, but still not something I track in the big scheme numbers. I keep occasional logs of what gets thrown out in large bulk. A dough ball hitting the ground is pitched, and forgotten.

Last edited:
I guess it depends how easy it is to track. Our POS has excellent inventory control and we do a daily count of most items (boxes etc done weekly) so for us if we waste a tub of mushroom (for example) its easy and accurate for us to track it and it helps us know that it was wasted rather than being over topped. Our inventory tracking is also used to preduct food useage for ording purposes so differentiating between waste and general run of the mill over usage is important so that if it is the latter we can ensure we focus on portioning.

Last edited:
Back