Continue to Site

What kind of oil lasts the longest for the $ in deep fryers?

Re: What kind of oil lasts the longest for the $ in deep fry

just an fyi, i just bought a # of lard from Walmart for $1.09… tomarrow i’ll melt her down and taste test the fries. I assume 350F is still good for Lard as with the other oils?

Last edited:

That temp is great. I predict that once you’ve had lard-fried, you’ll never want to go back. It may be the second or third item fried that is “the one”, but I yearn for lard (and tallow) fried foods and lard pastry crust.

Last edited:
48.png
Pizzamancer:
48.png
PizzainAZ:
You break down any oil, veggie or crude whatever and it will have a tendency to run hotter and cook faster than oil with no impurities.

I have no reason outside experience to draw the conclusions I have stated here.
Come on buddy. I am sure you have a lot of experience with food, fryers and restaurants, but that really can’t change facts. The temp is the same in either case, and it will be hotter at the heating elements, not the top of the oil. Even if there were variations, they are gone the moment you put product in and move that basket around. Fryer oil is not like a stone deck in an oven with hot and cool spots. Imagine a lava lamp. it is the same principle. Warm oil rises while cooler oil sinks.
I am wondering if we have a convection sort of result going on. Since the steam pressure does now keep ‘older’ oil as far away from the foods, the actual cooking temp right at the surface of food is higher . . . since the 350F oil is right up next to it with less steam to drop the surface temp. Just musings about the minutia of frying chicken wings.

Let’s not forget that when we’re frying wings we are rendeirng out animal fats into the fryer. I love me some ravioli in a fryer that has cooked 60# of chicken. The zeppoli are better as well . … as opposed to nasty fresh, clean oil 🙂

Last edited:
48.png
NicksPizza:
I am wondering if we have a convection sort of result going on. Since the steam pressure does now keep ‘older’ oil as far away from the foods, the actual cooking temp right at the surface of food is higher . . . since the 350F oil is right up next to it with less steam to drop the surface temp. Just musings about the minutia of frying chicken wings.

Let’s not forget that when we’re frying wings we are rendeirng out animal fats into the fryer. I love me some ravioli in a fryer that has cooked 60# of chicken. The zeppoli are better as well . … as opposed to nasty fresh, clean oil 🙂
Add a couple of pounds of bacon fat to that oil and you’ll think you’re in heaven 😃

Last edited:
48.png
Integraoligist:
just an fyi, i just bought a # of lard from Walmart for $1.09… tomarrow i’ll melt her down and taste test the fries. I assume 350F is still good for Lard as with the other oils?
You are going to love the results. It just tastes better.

@Nick - We are getting out there a bit, but the older the oil, the more it soaks into your product. Hehe, I am not even sure I understood what you wrote though.

Last edited:

Pizzamancer;
When it comes to fats, lard is one of the “trans-free” fats, good news? Well…not exactly, it is also a major source of cholesterol. Canola, palm, and olive oils are actually much better for you so long as you keep in mind that ALL fats are calorie dense, containing 9-calories per gram, so 10-grams, roughly 1/3 of an ounce, will contain 90-calories, and calories are calories.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Last edited:

have you tried FRYMAX little more costly than your clear-fry lasts twice as long…

Last edited:

Shouldn’t the question be what kind of oil gives me a product I would be “proud” to serve to my clients…I have no idea how much extra good oil costs versus otherwise but I am sure that if you lose a few clients serving something that is not as good as you can, it will be more costly in the long run than trying to keep your food cost down…

Last edited:

ok, i got a 50# cube of lard and put it in one of the fryers… and yes there is certinly a taste difference. So far everything tested in the lard is great! French fries seem to be more “fluffy” (dont know how that works out), all the chicken products are more “juicy”… Onion Rings and Poppers just have a slight taste difference, nothing worth while.

I did not tell the employees about the Lard, so when they had their employee meals I used the lard fryer, they all noticed a diffrence and said everything tasted “better”, it all had more “flavor”

So my overall is:
  • Taste is a +, we sell a massive amount of chicken products… this should increase sales even more!
  • Preformance, looks to be the same as other oils i’m used, but it’s only need 2 days
  • Cost, EXACT same as what i’m already using.
  • Filling the fryer, what a pain. It only comes in Cube solid form, like Crisco. I droped the cube on the fyer and used a pizza sauce paddle to push it down into the bottom so it would melt. There has to be an easier way… ideas?

Last edited:

I just switched over to the 50# cube of Admiration brand. I noticed immediately the taste difference. We are going on day 6 with it and its holding up

Integraoligist: Pain in the **S to melt it!

Last edited:

The best way to break it up is to get a long knife, if you have two fryers, dip the knife into the hot oil and slice off pieces a bit at a time. Also, if you have three fryers, put the box on a close lid fryer, cut the box down on one side and split open the bag and cut at it.

It is very important to stuff the oil deep down as far as you can and dont start up the heat until you have stuffed it in as much as you can, if you heat the fryer before having sufficient shortening near the bottom, you can crack the block of the fryer, which you will notice if you have oil leaking it can mean the block is getting cracked.

Once you stuff the oil down into the fryer, then you can make larger pieces in the “wider” portion of the fryer.

About the other comments regarding how the oil cooks, well people are entitled to their opinion, my comments come from a decade plus of experience. The thinner and more broken down the oil molecularly the more heat that is transferred faster.

To prove my point, if you have two fryers, dump one and load with new oil and compare the consistency, the manor in which the oil behaves, heats, burns and cooks from the new to the old oil, it is pretty easy to observe the point I am making, also run a batch of the same food in two fryers side by side and notice which cooks faster, that the older oil burns food relative to the new oil.

:shock:

Last edited:

I attempted using a Chefs knife to slice it, but it’s way to small… the pizza sauce ore seemed to work the best.

i was reading an article yesterday about McDonalds oil (pre 1990) when the frys were awsome… it said they us 97% Beef Tallow and 3% Veggie Oil.

What is Beef Tallow and where do i get a couple pounds? :lol:

Last edited:

Suet is specifically the hard fatty deposits around the kidneys of bovines. More generally tallow, is firm rendered beef fat, often using suet as it’s main part. You can get trimmings from slaughter houses or beef processing plants and render your own in big vats 🙂

Search a search engiine for “tallow supplier” and get lots of hits.

Last edited:
48.png
Integraoligist:
i was reading an article yesterday about McDonalds oil (pre 1990) when the frys were awsome… it said they us 97% Beef Tallow and 3% Veggie Oil.l:
We use 100%. it’s the best. I think Sams has it we get ours from Sysco, your food reps will know for sure

Last edited:

my supplier has it in a 50# cube (just like the lard) for onlu $.05 more per pound then the lard.

Does it give everything that is fried in it a meat (beef) flavor? Do you put chicken in it and if so, hows the flavor compared to regular oil?

Thanks!

Last edited:
48.png
Integraoligist:
my supplier has it in a 50# cube (just like the lard) for onlu $.05 more per pound then the lard.

Does it give everything that is fried in it a meat (beef) flavor? Do you put chicken in it and if so, hows the flavor compared to regular oil?

Thanks!
We have and due fry: Chicken, Chicken Fried Steak, Fish, Fries, Shrimp, Onion Rings, Hot Dogs, Hamburgers and twinkees. No it does not give everything a beef flavor. It adds to the flavor. We have used Veg Oil, Canola, lard nothing beats beef dripping especially at the higher temps.

Last edited:

nice, i’ll order a cube tomarrow and try it the end of the week.
also PMed you about the burgers and twinkies :lol:

Last edited:
48.png
Integraoligist:
also PMed you about the burgers and twinkies :lol:
Hey now, don’t keep secrets about the deep fried twinkies via PM! Thats a subject that just has to be shared amongst the board!

Last edited:

Cube, AKA plastic shortening/fat, is more easily added to the fryier if you place the cube onto a sheet pan, (upside down) then strip the plastic bag off of the cube, and cut the shortening/lard into chunks that can be easily and safely added to the fryer. No need to hold it to the bottom as it will melt soon enough.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Last edited:
Back