Continue to Site

When will pizza just be free??

48.png
bodegahwy:
What is old? In this business does 50 count?
Getting there :lol:

dave

Last edited:
Wizzle Wassell:
Interesting (and good news for you). How long have they been in your city Daddio? We’re they new or old shop, new or old equipment?
One store was 8 years old and the other was 2 years old. I tried to get information as to the disposal of the equipment but everyone was tight lipped about it.

Last edited:
48.png
bodegahwy:
What is old? In this business does 50 count?
I think it might. I am just a few years past 50. By the way my 50th birthday was the busiest day I ever had for sales.

Last edited:
Did you do anything to promote sales that day,or was it just a coincidence that your 50th was busiest day.
I ask because I am a few short weeks away from reaching that magnificient 5% of a mellennium point. I would rather take the day off and celebrate, but if there is a way to turn my aging into profits…

Last edited:
Really it was just an ordinary day but when you get to this age everything seems harder to do and appears that everything is racing. You know that when you get there it is downhill from then on 😛

Dave

Last edited:
Interesting comments on DP from Dave. The international offerings seem to differ hugely to the US. From what I can see the US ‘low quality low costs’ is the opposite to these other countries and it appears that the international division is where the profit is?

Last edited:
I only mentioned Jakarta, not other countries outside of the US.

In Australia we have Domino’s putting out large pizzas (11 1/2 inch ha, ha) from $5.95 pick up and (from) $9.95 delivered. Pizza Hut are around $6.95 as is Eagle Boy’s (Aussie company with 300= stores).

I believe that in the UK prices are higher. We have a large English migrant population where we are and they constantly tell us that they paid more than the equivalent price at UK Pizza Hut than they do with us and we are at the higher cost end of pricing. They said quality was about the same as PH in Australia which is a step up slightly from Domino’s … crAp.

Dave

Last edited:
yep I know you only said Jakata (I didn’t think I’d said otherwise?)

I’ve seen quite a few comments including news featured on PMQ quite frequently, about markets in UK, Eurpoe, India and Asia.

Last edited:
During the night some of my staff put signs on the side of the road and a banner accross the store front. There was no planning on my part.

Last edited:
Our restaurant is situated between a Domino’s one block away and a Round Table another block in the other direction. Neither have hurt our business, and we don’t consider them to be “competitors”. They sell cardboard topped with crap and we sell real pizza – local, organic, and quality ingredients on hand tossed dough. We get the occasional visitor who complains about the price ($20 for a large cheese pie!), but I stick to the “you get what you pay for” bit. Those who don’t walk out often thank us for what we do. For people who just want cheap, you can’t compete with the likes of Domino’s, and I wouldn’t waste my time trying to convert them.

Focus on what you have to offer that Dominos doesn’t. This will vary, but might include being locally owned and operated, use of locally grown produce, meats free of preservatives, your contributions to the community, etc. People like knowing that their tax dollars will be spent in their own community, so don’t hesitate to point that out. Take credit for what you do and post a statement in your window.

If you consider Dominos to be a competitor, you will never be able to compete on price. They’re just too big. You have to differentiate yourself, and quality and community focus are at least two things Domino’s will never compete with.

We are getting customers away from Pizza Hut, and I think it’s because we have made-to-order, custom pies. customers can watch us toss their dough and top it. They can smell their pies cooking.

I am probably cheating myself, but my 16" pepperoni is $9.75, and four meats is $15.00. Good value for the customers, and while I could certainly stretch my margins, part of the draw has to be that the pies are pretty cheap.

Last edited:
Kinsman, unless you have amazing low rent, or consistent high volume (15-20K per week EVERY week), that price will put you out of business. We charge more than that for a 12"!

I would suggest that you position that pricing as an introductory special so you don’t create a shock wave when you finally move to the pricing you really need to be at.

Last edited:
Kinsman, I have to agree with bodegahwy. You should seriously think about repricing some core items. Just a thought, but I believe I’ve smelled stuff cooking in any restaurant I’ve ever visited. Heck, drop your 16" price ratio to a 9" @ the same ratio, and sell em by the dozen - I believe the margin would be a tad better. Also, I’m sure you realize that you ARE competing with the HUT on price (and taking some customers), can you weather that storm?

Good Luck!!

Last edited:
Yeah, we know our prices are low, and we are thinking about moving them up…a bit.

Our rent is amazingly low. Less than five hundred, and we’re on the main road with great visibility (US hwy 93). We’re in a small Montana town, and we are the only pizza place in town. Pizza Hut is ten miles away in the next town.

When I set up our menu, I did a lot of research. Our prices are lower than some pizza places, but not by a crazy amount. I can still make money, and people like our prices: customers can get a full rack of ribs, two-topping pizza and a dozen wings for about forty bucks.

We really started as a BBQ joint: ribs, chicken, pulled pork and beef sandwiches. We started making custom pies, mixing dough in a Kitchenaid (!) and hand-tossing the crusts, topping them with both traditional and interesting ingredients.

We’ve been in business and growing for a year and a half.

Last edited:
Ah, you have just touched on one of the secrets of the pizza biz, or actually any restaurant: If you are in biz long enough, and serve THE SAME product all the time, your customers will find you. I mean to say that the people that like what you are doing will find you, hopefully there are enough of them to keep you happy. If you change your product, you have to start collecting customers all over again.

Last edited:
Pizza PAtron in Texas;

mon-wed- 1 12 inch medium cheese 2.99
regular price 4 bucks

Last edited:
Back