Continue to Site

Why is my dough never conistant???

ok the dough is not getting crusted over at all. we oil the them heavily and then put them in bags.

i have only tired putting the IDY in water 3 times and it has no effect on the dough

and the starter dough we put in a tub and cover it with a bag. should i maybe start using a old 5 gallon MAYO bucket that i can totally seal off with the lid??

we sell about 40 pizzas a day. however we are full service and pizza is about 50% of our sales.

and i use a sheeter just to get the dough flat and then toss it to size

Last edited:
Good point. But then the “hard dough” that is mentioned must be nothing more than the normal cold dough feel/consistency rather than crusting of the dough, which can’t happen when the dough balls are placed into plastic bags. Now, with that behind us, lets look at the “square shaped dough pieces” Typically, this is what we see coming out of the dough boxes when the dough has blown in the box, but has not yet come out of th ebox. But again, bagged dough won’t blow in this manner since the doug isn’t in a box at all (its on a sheet pan), this might lead us to believe that there is a problem in either of three areas; 1) The cooler is operating at too high of a temperature, or the doug is being made and put into the cooler at the beginning of the day, just before the cooler will be operating at its highest temperature due to heavy traffic in and out of the cooler during the day. A better option is to make the dough at the end of the day so it can be more effeciently cooled during the night when there won’t be any traffic in or out of the cooler. 2) The dough temperature is too high (above 85F, or possibly, it is too high in view oof the cooler temperature or operating efficiency, in either case, a lower dough temperature might be needed. 3) The yeast level might be excessively high for the shop conditions. Normally though, #1 and #2 above will control even abnormally high yeast levels. Keep in mind that this all references the use of a walk in cooler. A reach-in cooler isn’t nearly as efficient as a walk in, so you must reduce the finished dough temperature to compensate for this. In cases where reach in coolers are used we normally recommend a finished dough temperature in the 75 to 80F range, with emphasis on the 75F side. Occasionally, we even find it necessary to go as low as 70F in some reach-in coolers.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Last edited:
Please give me a call at 800-633-5137 (ext. 165) and I’ll be more than glad to discuss this with you. I’m sure we can get to the bottom of your inconsistency problem with a short discussion. We seem to be getting a few answers, but then come up with more questions. A few minutes on the phone might save us a lot of time here.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Last edited:
If at all possible, I’d like to hear the outcome of this matter so that we can all learn something.

Last edited:
yes please do post what the problem is.
i would bet it is something very simple once you learn the system that they are using.we are missing something to the equation…

Last edited:
Billy;
You’re on to me.
That is exactly what I’m thinking. Like they always say “It’s the little things that cause the biggest trouble”.
Tom Lehmann/TDD

Last edited:
pizzanerd,
i have looked again at this formula
starter dough is closer to 25% of total dough weight (4-24 oz balls)
water is closer to 48% maybe even less if you consider evaporation of starter
dough.
hhmm…i wonder???
oil levels are probably closer to 10% after rubbing balls down.

Last edited:
billy,

Since the water was given as a volume measurement, I converted it to weight on the basis of 1 c. = 8.35 oz., which is the standard conversion factor (although many people use 8 oz. as a rough number). A gallon and a half of water (24 c.) weighs 200.4 oz. Adding that to the weights of all of the other ingredients, I get a total of 638.4 oz. Since the 4 dough balls weigh 96 oz., that comes to about 15% of the basic dough batch weight (96/638.4 = approx. 15%). If you add the 96 oz. to the total dough batch weight, or 734.4 oz., the four dough balls represent a little over 13% of that figure (96/734.4 = approx. 13%). Of course, the relevant number is the 638.4 oz. number since four new dough balls are removed from the 734.4 oz. dough batch weight to be put in the overnight bucket to ferment.

Since the four dough balls are taken from a basic dough batch, they should initially have the same baker’s percents as the basic dough batch. Once you add the four dough balls to the next dough batch, there shouldn’t be much change in the baker’s percents except to the extent that there may have been some depletion of yeast and sugar because of the fermentation of the sour dough batch. There may be some loss of water along the way through evaporation of water in the sour dough batch, but I don’t think that it will move the hydration needle of the final formula in a material way. You will perhaps lose more from the water that sticks to the walls of the water container when emptying the water out of it into the mixer bowl.

You are correct that the actual percent of oil is higher than the nominal formula oil because of brushing the dough balls with oil. However, if the difference is 7% (of the formula flour), that comes to 28 oz. of oil, which is about 3.64 c. of vegetable (soybean) oil. I don’t recall that jokergerm specified a dough ball weight, but if we assume that it is, say, 15 oz., then that would be about 42 dough balls. I don’t think you would use 3.64 cups of oil to brush that number of dough balls. It is possible to apportion the formula oil between the oil used in the dough and the oil used to brush the dough balls, but no one does that sort of thing that I am aware of.

Last edited:
Hey guys thanks for all the help first off

I will call Tom tommorow

my dough balls are

12 inch 15oz
15 inch 24oz
18 inch 34 oz

We use a reach in cooler. Should we let the dough it out and proof?

i would say the total time in making the dough and balling it up and getting it in the walk in is about 20 mintues tops.

That is from the first step of adding flour to putting in our walk in.\

as far as the square dough balls we dont have this issue anymore since we switched from the proofing trays to the cookie sheets with trash bags

i think the proofing trays were keeping to much of the heat in, thus making the yeast active to fast.

my walk in stays at about 37 degrees, maybe this is too cold.

since we just pull the dough right out tof the walk in and use it.

Last edited:
60.png
jokergerm:
my walk in stays at about 37 degrees, maybe this is too cold.

since we just pull the dough right out tof the walk in and use it.
Your walk-in temperature looks OK to me. I’m pretty certain that when you talk to Tom he will tell you to let the dough balls warm up at room temperature for around an hour and a half before using.

Last edited:
Back