Continue to Site

XLT Ovens. Price?

Hi Guys;
Answers for;
Piper:
The building code call for fresh air to be brought in to a commercial building.

You should be getting sever thousand CFM of outside air depending on the size of your A/C .

an economizer can be increased above the minimum but you still need fresh air coming in, winter and summer.

Domestic Furnaces and A/C installed in them are not bound by that code. Window or through the wall A/C units bring in fresh air.

Pizza Pirate:
Costs for instillation varies so widely that I am always wrong if I give a guess. At least a couple of thousand perhaps more, best to get a quote from a competent installer.

David Diggins:

I am sorry to hear of your problems. I have contacted the VP of sales about your problem.

Its always good to have a dealer as they carry the weight of hundreds of sales when contacting the company.

Your situation is definitely unique. There are thousands of XLT ovens in service and many chains and individuals buying again and again. They would not be offering the five year warranty if they had your problem very often.

I hope they solve things for you soon.

Registered guest:

The XLT ovens produced as of Jan 1, 2009 have a lot less blow out but I think your ventilation system is not capturing the heat properly.

Heat extraction is an important function of a ventilating system. There is an important relationship between the type of hood, its size, the air exhausted, the method and quantity of air returned and the A/C system. Any one of those factors done incorrectly can cause problems

George Mills

Last edited:
George Mills:
Registered guest:

The XLT ovens produced as of Jan 1, 2009 have a lot less blow out but I think your ventilation system is not capturing the heat properly.

Heat extraction is an important function of a ventilating system. There is an important relationship between the type of hood, its size, the air exhausted, the method and quantity of air returned and the A/C system. Any one of those factors done incorrectly can cause problems

George Mills
There is nothing wrong with the ventilation system.

If you are standing at the entrance or the exit of the oven (which you need to do to insert or remove pizza) - the amount of heat that you must endure blowing in your face is WAY more than any other oven I’ve used. No ventilation system is going to change this.

What did XLT change on Jan 1, 2009 that made them have “a lot less blow out”? And if this is a ventilation problem, why did they make any changes at all? Can these changes be retrofited into existing oven?

Last edited:
George Mills:
Pizza Pirate:
Costs for instillation varies so widely that I am always wrong if I give a guess. At least a couple of thousand perhaps more, best to get a quote from a competent installer.
George Mills
Thanks George. I’m leaning pretty heavily towards getting one of these, or maybe the Edge – just depends on how these next few months play out. Do you have contractors that you have worked with in Southern California to recommend?

Last edited:
Registered Guest:
George Mills:
Registered guest:

If you are standing at the entrance or the exit of the oven (which you need to do to insert or remove pizza) - the amount of heat that you must endure blowing in your face is WAY more than any other oven I’ve used. No ventilation system is going to change this.
My XLT 3270 had the same problem. I really liked the cook of the oven but I just could no longer deal with the amount of heat blowing out the ends. It would practically burn your hand each time you put something on the belt. Hence, no more XLTs in my store.

Last edited:
I had the same problem with my XLT ovens. I think the problem may be unique to the 70 inch ovens since I don’t hear guys with the 55 inch ovens complaining. My 70 inch ovens had 2 blower motors. When I switched to Edge ovens the the temp in my store dropped significantly. My Air Conditioner has no trouble keeping up now. My Edge ovens are MUCH quieter also.

Last edited:
Hi registered guest.

As of the first of the year XLT does not use a burner that has a blower. That innovation was introduced at the same time they announced their 5 Year parts and service warranty. the old style burners had a blower that injects a substantial amount of air into the combustion aria, that air expanded substantially as a result of heating and provided additional push to the air coming out the ends.

I would indicate that we provide ventilation systems for the 3270 and some other makes that have even a bit more blowout at the ends and are not getting complaints such as you describe.

Ventilation requires a somewhat complex combination and balance in the overall size of the hood as compared to the size and characteristics of the equipment being ventilated. The return air system and the capacities of the HVAC system are critical. Any one of those components that is not in sync with the others can cause problems.

There are many ways to ventilate equipment that will meet the code and pass inspection but as there is no standard for heat removal not all systems archive an acceptable level of comfort in the building. As the 3270 and some other makes of conveyor ovens do discharge air out the ends the volume of that air has to be taken into consideration when designing the ventilation system.

If I am not mistaken the Edge oven has a 10 inch shorter bake chamber and only uses a single blower that would account for a lesser amount of air discharged.

The ventilation system for the above size and oven configuration would be substantially different than that for the XLT 3270 or the Middleby PS 570. those ovens are longer and have 2 blowers and the ventilation system should be designed to accommodate those conditions.

I guess it would be a trade off. A smaller hood system or greater production and 5 year warranty offered by XLT or the operating savings Middleby claims.

George Mills

Last edited:
George,

Thanks for the responses, and I don’t want to look argumentative.

But are you saying that there is a possible hood/ventilation system configuration that would somehow remove the hot air coming from the ends of the oven in the short distance between the end of the conveyor and the opening of the oven? I can’t believe there could be such a thing.

As Paul7979 said, the issue isn’t specifically the amount of heat coming from the openings - it’s the fact that the heat is blowing out of the ends at such a pace that it almost burns you when you put something on the belt or take something off.

Last edited:
Hi registered guest:

I guess I failed to make my answer as clear as I should have.

Yes there is substantial heat that comes out the ends of conveyor ovens . We have not had complaints of the type mentioned in these posts. We have many XLT 3270 ovens out there and the factory has several thousand in Domino’s, Little Caesar’s, Costco Wholesale, and many others. We are not getting complaints of the problem indicated.

Buyers order XLT ovens again and again as they open additional shops. I have done many demonstrations of the 3270 XLT without any ventilation running and have not found a problem such as described.

It could be possible that a different ventilating system would capture more of the heat coming out the ends of the oven. It could be possible that ventilation is the reason others are not complaining. But as far as I know there is no system that can capture all the the hot air as it cones out of the ends. That would not be good as one end of a large pizza comes out of the oven first and the hot air coming out that end keeps the temperature across the entire pizza consistent. The hot air on the intake side gives the oven a bit of an edge on bake tine by pre warming the product.

All the above is not to say the complaint is false, it is obvious that you found it intolerable. just that vast numbers of users do not complain of that situation.

I should have stated after my sentence in the previous posting about the above that I was now addressing the complaint of excessive heat in the building that you, Paul Diggins and Perfect Pizzas had expressed. That was the gist of the rest of the posting about ventilation.

Thanks for asking and giving me the chance to clarify my comments.

George Mills

Last edited:
Hi David Diggins
I happened to revisit your postings; If you are still having temperature variations that is a service problem. But if your problem is of uneven bake I have encountered that problem hundreds of time with Middleby, Lincoln and XLT ovens.

The above problem, in all instances, was that the oven tenders were placing the pizzas a ways into the aperture of the oven and / or, were pulling the pizzas out of the oven before the pizzas had completely exited the oven. Ether of the above actions will result in parts of the pizza mot being in the oven the same amount of time as others and uneven baking. Pizzas should be placed on the conveyor 2 or 3 inches before the entrance and not removed until the entire pizza is 2 or 3 inches past the oven exit.

Note the oven tender will almost always say he is not pushing the pizzas in to far and not taking them out before they have completely cleared the oven exit. In every case I asked the owner to observe what was being done during a busy hour. In every case the oven tender when busy was putting the pizzas a ways into the oven and or removing them when a portion was still in the oven.
Getting the oven tenders to place the pizzas on the belt a couple inches before the entrance and not taking them off the belt until 2 inches out of the exit always solved the problem.

Just one question does the temperature reading fluctuate? I have had operators complain of temperature variations because of uneven bake but that was not the problem the placement of the pizzas on the belt was causing variations. If your temperature reading is varying widely a new temperature controller should solve the problem.

George Mills

Last edited:
“pizzapirate” said:
George Mills:
Thanks George. I’m leaning pretty heavily towards getting one of these, or maybe the Edge – just depends on how these next few months play out. Do you have contractors that you have worked with in Southern California to recommend?
Sorry pizza pirate;

I got caught up in answering several other posts.

I make it a practice of not recommending installers, service men etc.

It appeared in the past that almost every time I recommended someone they messed up the job, despite how many fine jobs I had been told they had done in the past and the buyer was upset with me for haven recommended them.

I could supply the names of some companies but you could find that list in your local phone book under HVAC contractors.

George

Last edited:
Back