Continue to Site

You guys thought I was crazy

stirring the can of worms…

having lived/worked nearby (& still have family there) I am familiar w/your situation…

My gut reaction is you are under funded/under capitalized to succeed…sorry, been there/done that…

Your opinion of your competitors pies are just that, your opinion…I like mine and so do many of my customers, but thats not to say your base might prefer a variety of tastes…

I’ve won awards as well, but that is immaterial to what the market wants…

The LC operation in Fla do just fine w/their $5 pies…I thought about going that route, but chose a more traditional method, even tho my location is untraditional…

You can’t earn a living w/less than $100k sales…if you are not well funded and follow a marketing/biz plan, you will fail, either shortly or in a few months…

Now is the time to fine tune your operations and get your marketing program in effect…it can be as cheap as a street sign waver 2 start, followed up w/local door hanging…

Take a critical look @ your operation…is it clean, modern and pleasant to walk into? Is the staff friendly & knowledgeable? Is your product taste/look the same no matter who makes or delivers it?

We all wish you well on this board…

Last edited:
hi kyle
If you were judged top 15 you need to market that .It sounds like you really want this keep a good attitude and dont talk in defeat. start thinking and saying positive things over your life and you will have what your faith expects God bless
brian, Gallos pizzeria

Hey Kyle,

I think if you were to take a survey, most of the guys on this forum would say that positive, goal oriented, efficient, sacrificial and cost saving THINKING is what creates success. You have to stop the crazy emotional stuff so that you can apply your inner power to your current situation.

If I had to use my intuition here all I could say is that you need to change the way you think or you will never make it. Things aren’t always black and white like you think with your competition.

Focus on your pizza making system. Think consistency, think freshness, think ‘holy cow service’, think publice relations and secure loyal fans through genuineness not bs; you gettin’ the picture.

I wish it were as easy as pushing buttons but it is not. I like that you have the willingness to stay the path, but please only do so if you are willing to cut labor and work the job of three! Good luck!

Last edited:
60.png
Kyle:
Sadly, it is not just pizza shops that are playing the price war. Check out this story from todays Detroit Free Press.
These guys may be behind the times, though. Or it’s the newspapers making “news” out of something that isn’t new.

“Prix fixe” has been around an awfully long time in the upscale scene, and in lots of places. New Orleans high end restaurants had these sorts of menus when we were there for our honeymoon in 2001. They didn’t use them as huge discount tools so much as offering a definite menu that the kitchen could expect and prepare for. All this reduces labor and food costs for the night, and allows pre-preparation potentials. It is a topic near and dear to my heart as I move toward getting my ‘casual upscale’ dining room built and ready for 40 seats.

All that reduces the costs of that menu to the restaurant, so they can pass some savings on to customers. The wise restaurateur will set their prix fixe menu based on specials and bulk savings options, so they can make better food margins . . . and set items that have good margins already. Don’t be fooled too much by the party line of offering cheaper options to the customers . . . . it is a truly brilliant move, done well, for the kitchen efficiency as well.

It’s almost like a fine dining version of the buffet concept, but not so “cheap” looking. Reduce portions-increase food cost percentage - create labor efficiency savings - reduce retail price - increase volume . . . . make more final cash to go into the bank.

Last edited:
Back