Credit card fees

It really doesn’t matter, pretty sure even if it was $395 it would be worth it to switch.
In most cases, I can actually have the fee taken care of for you on a switch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Amen.
I hate to break it to everyone but there is no direct level at First Data

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Untitled.jpg Untitled.jpg

Untitled2.jpg

My goodness…How does one ever reconcile a printout like that?..

Exactly my point, they make these hard to read on purpose, hoping that you’ll this your hands in the air and chalk it up to “a cost of doing business”.

Jonathan Anderson
Jonathan.anderson@e-hps.com
C 4192977367

I SPECIALIZE IN DOING THE RIGHT THING FOR BUSINESS OWNERS!!

Good luck

Jonathan Anderson
C 4192977367

Allow me to take a look and get that fee taken care of for you. :slight_smile:

Jonathan Anderson
C 4192977367

PM tomorrow and I will get in contact with you. I’m also in a 48 month lease with machine

Jon,

I highly doubt that most of us who process " keyed in" transactions can get a % like this.

You are correct if the majority of payments are keyed in the rate will be higher.

There are ways of getting around the high fees but it starts with your actual standard operating process… Swiping cards will save you money.

Mobile payment solutions allow your delivery drivers to swipe at the door thus cutting down on fees from ‘card not present’ over the phone ‘keyed in’ payments.
You can add restrictions to each mobile device to ensure safe guards for you and your business.

Also, another way to cut down on ‘keyed in’ transactions is a mobile app that allows your customers to order direct from their smart phone, print a ticket to your line and integrate with your processor exists. We have one, it’s called ToGoOrder - it is in your App Store. It’s also able to be white labeled and added to the App Store.

Jonathan Anderson
C 4192977367

Jon,

Welcome to the TT. A number a industry supplier/vendors are valued members here who bring their specialized knowledge to the table and improve our discussions. Credit cards are a topic that pops up regularly around here so having your input will be greatly valued. What makes it work for everyone is that these members are pretty careful about the line between adding to the discussion and promoting their businesses.

With all that said, I see from your email address that you are with Heartland. We have been with them since we started taking cards and have been very satisfied.

It is the nature of most of our businesses that the significant majority of our transactions are keyed in. We do not take Amex although at this point I am ready to add it. I wish I could decide which cards to take by fee rather than by brand. I am finding that the most expensive cards are some of the high benefit visa cards. It is beyond me why I AM THE ONE THAT PAYS for the benefit they offer to compete with other card issuers. All credit cards should process at the same rate and card issuer should have to eat the cost of benefits they offer to compete with other card issuers or convince the consumer to pay a fee.

In the end, it will have to be congress that addresses the costs of credit card fees from issuers. As has been pointed out above, it is not optional for small business whether to accept them.

You can find out your representative contact info here: http://www.contactingthecongress.org/

I know I have done this before, but I rewrote it and sent it again today: (feel free to copy)

Dear Representative,

In the world of small business today the huge majority of payments are made by credit card. I own two small businesses. In one, credit card payments are between 90-95% of all payments, in the other they are between 75-80%. The decision to accept them is not optional in today’s economy. Credit cards are a financial utility in our economy and, like any utility, the fees they charge should be regulated.

The card issuers are in heated competition with each other to control share of this lucrative business. This is understandable. They offer tangible benefits to the consumer to compete with other card issuers. When I compete with my competitors I seek to offer value as well, but I have to pay for whatever costs I incur offering that value. This is not the case with the card issuers. The costs of the “points” they offer are passed through to the merchant who accepts the card in higher fees. This is unfair and should not be the case.

A number of years ago the fees charged by credit card processors were challenged and to some extent brought under control. This is NOT what I am talking about. Processor fees are a small piece of the pie. It is the card ISSUER who controls 95% of the fee that ends up being charged to the merchant and this is where these consumer benefits are being passed along improperly.

It is particularly galling to pay high fees on affinity cards that give consumer points to be spent at businesses which are my competitors. I can not think of another industry where this is the case. Imagine if every time you bought a Ford it gave you points toward the purchase of a Subaru and Ford was forced to pay for those points… If the card issuer wants to give away airline tickets to attract consumers to have and use the card they issue, that is fine, but the cost of offering that benefit should not be passed through to me in the form of higher fees on each transaction when I have no choice but to pay it.

Credit card fees now cost small businesses more than insurance and more than electric utilities and more than broadband services all of which have costs regulated in the interests of having a strong economy. Please regulate the credit card issuers as a utility. The fees they are allowed to charge should be controlled in the interest of an efficient economy. They should not be permitted to pass through customer acquisition costs in the form of higher fees for high benefit cards.

Jonathan Anderson, please don’t post many times in a row (especially when soliciting). It’s good internet manners to make a single post, and to edit your last post if you have more to add. :slight_smile:

Debit cards aren’t great for use at pizzerias because, while the fees may be regulated, the high transaction fee murders us since we have many low ticket sales. :frowning:

I was told by my processor to help alleviate the debit fees, only use debit if it $25 or more and credit for under $25. So I going to see if that makes any difference

Jonathan Anderson has been a personal friend of mine for over 25 yrs. I do my processing through him and he is fantastic with customer service. He joined the tt at my request because of his knowledge of industry, and his transparency. I asked him to chime in on our cc discussions just to help us out. hes not here just to make a buck I promise.

Was skeptical as well :slight_smile:

Just my 2 cents: I used Heartland before and during their big data breach. I dumped them afterwards, because of chargebacks that must have come from the ‘hidden’ breach ( they knew of the breach months before mandatory disclosure). As I recall, they charged $300 or so to dump them, which I gladly paid. I would never recommend another retailer using Heartland!!!

pizza2007, ouch. Never choose a processor with early termination fees! The market is extremely competitive. If you shop around a lot, you’ll get a good idea of what rates, fees, and contract details are good for you. Then you can ask card processors that have given you quotes to match the best of those/

I’ve been looking for a card processor for weeks. This site has been the best:
http://cardfellow.com/
It has great information on how the whole process works. It also lets you sign up and be matched with a number of processors. The quotes I got this way are way lower than anything I could find elsewhere.

Thanks Nate. The breach was several years ago. As for processors, I’ve got 1 word for you: Squareup.com