help needed for my business my dough is rubbish

1. mix my dough
  2. put straight into balls
  3. wait 30-60 min depends how hot it is. when i left for over a hour they were huge and had a dry skin
  4. roll and put straight into tins
  5. leave on side to rise 30-45 min then put into chiller at 4c
  6. then i take out as needed

yesterday i only used 40g of idy and doubled the oil to 300g
they lasted till today and are still useable just a bit wet and sticky
just trying to work out the water content now
and im still waiting for my tins should be here on monday

do i need to do anything to the new tins or are they ok to use as normall just oil and use

thanks tom

Matts;
Yep, insufficient fermentation is the reason for the shrinkage/snap-back. Adjust the water temperature to give you a finished dough temperature of 75 to 80F/ 23.8 to 26.6C, then procees as you are doing, except allow the dough balls to ferment for 2 to 2.5-hours before shaping to fit the pan. All the research that we have done here over the years shows that the dough needs a minimum of 2-hours of fermentation time. Give this a try, and let me know how it works for you.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Tom,

Based on what Matt has stated, I believe the latest iteration is:

100%, Flour, 5000 g.
44%, Water, 2200 g.
0.80%, IDY, 40 g.
1.5%, Salt, 75 g.
1%, Sugar, 50 g.
6%, Oil, 300 g.

Looking at that profile in the context of the way that Matt is using the dough, can you tell me what commercial style pizza is being made using the above formulation?

PN

With exception to the fact that he is panning and proofing the formed dough, the formula looks a lot like a pretty typical New York thin crust dough. The oil is higher than what we normally see in a N.Y. thin crust, and the water is on the low side. If the water/absorption were increased by about 10%, you could say this was a formula for a pretty typical thin crust pizza.

hi tom and pizzanerd im actually trying to make a deep pan pizza
and i say trying cos it still not very good
the dough is still not lasting more than a day
when cooked the next day the dough goes a lot lighter colour and looks patchy, goes a bit weter and chewey

5000g flour
75g salt
50g sugar
200g oil
40g idy
2.4 litre water

tom do you have a deep pan recipe that i could try using 5000g of flour
thanks

Matt;
Try this formula for deep dish pizza.
Flour 5000g
Salt 100g
Sugar 150g
Oil 200g
IDY 35g
Water 2.750 Lts. (65F/18.3C)

Put water in mixing bowl, add flour and remainder of dry ingredients, mix at low speed for 2-minutes, add the oil, mix at low speed for one more minute. Then mix at medium speed for 8 to 10-minutes. Check the finished dough temperature, it should be in the 80 to 85F/26.6 to 29.4C range.
Immediately take the dough to the benck for scaling and balling. Oil the dough balls with salad oil and place into individual plastic bags (bread bags work well) twist the open end of the bag to close and tuck it under the dough ball as you place it into the cooler. Allow the dough to remain in the cooler for at least 18-hours. Remove dough from the cooler, and allow to temper AT room temperature for 90-minutes, then turn the dough ball out of the bag into a dark colored, deep-dish pan that has been greased with a table grade margarine. Lightly oil your hands and press the dough out to fit the pan (I like to keep my fingers slightly away from the edge of the dough to ensure a nice raised edge when baked). With the dough fitted to the pan, cover it and set it aside to raise/proof for about 60-minutes (variable). Then apply sauce and toppings and place into a 500 to 525F/ 260 to 274C deck oven to bake for about 15 to 20-minutes. Note: You may need to place the pan onto a wire pizza screen to hold it slightly off of the deck to prevent excessive bottom color development on the pizza. Remove the pizza from the pan immediately after baking.
Please let me know how this works for you.

hi tom what weights would you use for 10" and 12" deep pan
thanks

Matt;
It all depends upon what YOU want your deep-dish pizza to look like. For me, I like to see a fairly thick, but light textured crust, so I’m going to use 14-ounces (400g.) of dough for my 12-inch pizza. Then, using the equation for finding the surface area of a circle (Pi X R squared) I will divide the dough weight by the number if square inches in that 12-inch pizza to find my dough loading per square inch of surface area. Then all I need to do is to find the surface area of any other size I want to make and multiply the dough loading factor by that number. Sounds confusing, I know, but it’s really quite easy, this is how it all looks using your hand held calculator;
Pi = 3.14
R = half of the diameter
R squared = 6 X 6
R = 36 (for the 12-inch pizza)
3.14 X 36 = 113 square inches
400 divided by 113 = 3.5398 grams of dough per square inch of surface area.

Now for the 10-inch pizza;
R squared = 5 X 5 = 25
3.14 X 25 = 78.5 (lets call it 78 square inches)

So all we need to do is to multiply 3.5398 X 78 and we get 276 grams of dough needed for the 10-inchh deep-dish pizza. Pretty nifty,.

that took some geting my head round lol
now i no why my 10" was always better than 12s can save a couple of pennies aswell now 24g less per 10"
thanks tom

Matt;
You’re welcome, I always knew those math classes would pay off some day. LOL

To the best of my knowledge, according to a Pizza Hut worker, PH used 16 ounces (about 454 g.) of dough for their 12" pan pizza and 22 ounces (about 624 g.) for their 14" pan pizza. This was when they used fresh dough. I don’t know what the numbers are for their frozen patties that are now used in the U.S and in some other countries for their pan pizzas.

PN

And math is very good for counting money too!..lol…

Royster;
I bet it is…to bad I never took that advanced class. LOL
Tom Lehmann/TDD