Ice machine: What size for Self Service?

Hey all,
I’m looking to order an ice machine to do on top of a self serve pop dispenser. It needs to be a 30" unit but i’m not sure as to what production size to get.

This is a new fast-food (Subway style) shop opening up so i’m not sure about the # of customers and cups i’ll be going through.

Would a 220# per day unit work out? Or 350 or 450?

I’m right next to Taco Bell and Wendys and the area has about 25k people within a mile radius if that helps.

Thanks all!

personally, I’d go with the 450. That 220 is really gonna be struggling to keep up especially in the summer. Keep in mind that capacity declines with rises in water and air temperatures.

Edit: also remember that when its on top of a fountain machine, it is not only providing ice at the dispenser, it is also keeping the internal coldplate for the fountain cold, so that will use a small amount of ice as well. Also, my preference as to the cooling method are remote air cooled, air cooled, and water cooled in that order. I try to avoid water cooled machines whenever possible myself, although some environments they are better for.

Your environment will have a lot to do with your selection. Here it gets hot, we have a huge deck oven, and poor AC so we purchased a 500lb unit. We probably could get by with a lessor unit for I’d rather be safe than sorry :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks for the info guys. I’ve got 2 large AC units that keep it a perfect 68F all day long. I’ll go ahead and go with the 450#
Thanks again!

Oh yes, and which brand do you prefer? Manitowoc or IMI Cornelius

“a perfect 68F all day long”

You would be suprised how much changing that setting to 72 would save you…

Save me as far as what? I thought 68 was the standard.

as far as utility bill to keep it that cold… I personally love it cold, but i’d be cold in a 68 degree restaurant. Bump it up to 72 (you could even ease up to it over several days if you wanted). Also, with it at 68 in there, you may be missing out on some customers that dont go to your shop because it is “too chilly.”

As for your other question, I’d choose manitowoc over the cornelius machine. Might look into the hoshizaki’s too.

I agree, 68 degrees is downright cold! I set my thermostats at 75 and sometimes feel it’s chilly.

So 72-75 in the summer… what about the Winter?

Start with 68 and see how it feels.

77 in my place, although not the original question.

77-78 degrees for me. Electric bill is too high as it is. I hate to eat at places that are freezing. If I need to bring a sweatshirt to eat in August I’ll pass.

we have always had Manitowoc.our current machine is 7 years old and has never broke down.it is a 220 lbs for a 60 seat restaurant.it is a little small but we have no room.
I like to keep the a/c in the kitchen at 79 and the a/c in the dining room at 76