Continue to Site

Hands beat up from making pizzas everyday?

Ok it has been one year since it started and now 10 days of possible doctors visits since you posted here…I want to know what the DOCTOR said? :?

I know this “doctor” would say…“uh, I’ll get my lunch somewhere else”, if I saw someone with a whateverthatisalloveryourhands touching my food.

Last edited:
back in the days i was a manager with domions and papajohns i had there employees with this problem everytime it cam down to one thing the dustinator we were using to slap out the pies dustinator is a blend of flour and cornmeal some were allergic to the flour some to the cornmeal so i would suggest if you use cornmeal to switch to flour if you use flour swith to cornmeal . me personally i use cornmeal in my shop it not only help with dough not sticking to screens and also flour floats threw the air if you ever got done cleaning and turned around and seen a thin with film of flour had settled back down on all you tables its because flour is light and will float threw the air forever however cornmeal is heavier and falls straight to the floor you will have to sweep more often but the upside is it will be eaiser on your equipment as flour floats it will eventually end up in make line compressors and other equipment. also for me my hands are soft and i contribute it to using the more course cornmeal everytime i slap out dough i am basically exfoliating my hands and with saying that i would like to add i hate the fact that not only did i grow up in a house full of women but also i continue to live in one with wife and daughters therefore being the 6’5" 225# man that i am i know words like exfoliate- DAMN WOMEN!

PS
Dont even get me started on curio cabinets!!

Last edited:
I have had the same problem i was a manager working long hours at a high volume store about six months in my hands started to get a rash and slowly cracking and spreading to the rest of my hand. gloves are no good due to sweating just makes it worse and it gets inside anyway I quit over a month ago after about a year of service the splitting has healed but I am still getting the bumps on 2 fingers and at one point it was eating through my fingernails I still have no cuticles on those 2 fingers…

Last edited:
I cannot believe I am asking…but since someone else reopened the thread…here it goes:

AND THE DOCTOR THAT YOU WENT TOO SEE SAID??? :idea: :arrow: :!:

After 2 years of dry and cracking hands and numerous of doctor visits, my hands are cured! I had one last idea and went back to my roots. As a graduate of The University of North Carolina and a die hard Tarheel fan, I made an appointment with their Department of Dermatology at their med school. They gave me a prescription for “Clobetasol Propionate” ointment and white dermatologist gloves. For one week, I rubbed my hands in ointment and wore the gloves under latex gloves while I worked. Also slept in the gloves. They were healed in 3 days and have been great. Give it a try, it worked for me! Go Heels! 😃

Last edited:
Something caught my attention while reading the original post. Does wearing latex gloves while preparing food pose a risk for individuals who are allergic to latex? I thought about this very notion recently when we accidentally received latex gloves instead of the usual vinyl in our order. I would presume those who have a latex allergy are used to reminding people at the doctors office, etc of their allergy but how many would think to tell a server/counter person at a restaurant of their allergy?

Thoughts?

Last edited:
YES! If you have an employee with a latex allergy the gloves will have a reaction with their hands.

I was thinking more along the lines of the customer eating a sub, salad, pizza, etc that has been touched by someone wearing the latex gloves. I only allow the kitchen staff to wear vinyl or plastic gloves based on my concern stated previously with allergies in addition to the fact that I think it looks unappealing as most people associate latex gloves with hospitals and doctors offices.

Last edited:
Good post Brad…I have edited my post as I was incorrect. It did make me read a lot more on this and it does appear the powder latex is really the one to watch. I didnt realize that latex degrades and transfers that fast and adhears to the powder additive which then attaches to the food.

I was wondering about that too. I found this .pdf from the Michigan.gov site: Latex Glove Allergies and the Food Industry
An increasing number of consumers appear to be latex sensitive. A published report
indicates that latex proteins may be transferred from latex gloves to foods during
preparation.1 Latex sensitive consumers have been reported to have had allergic
reactions after consuming foods contacted by latex gloves.2, 3 Use of non-latex gloves
would protect latex sensitive consumers.
Sounds like the powdered latex gloves pose a larger risk of transfer.

Last edited:
I read an article that stated the same thing about the latex powder and also how 3 states have banned latex glove use in food preparation. Interesting stuff.

Last edited:
Betamethasone Dipropionate Cream USP, 0.05%
http://www.prestoimages.net/store/rd648/648_pd1987227_1.jpg

This was the perscription drug I was given when I finally went to the doctor for the first time in 5 years (I’ve had the hand problem for about 1 year).

I apply the cream twice daily. I started Monday. It’s now Thursday night and I’d say I’m about 80-90% better. I’m confident this is going to get rid of the issue.

Last edited:
You just went to the doctor??? :roll: Good to hear it is working though!

Please, tell us the name of your restaurant, so we can avoid eating there.

Seriously. Just to the doctor THIS WEEK? That’s just plain wrong. You had a health issue, on your hands. Hard telling what sort of things were passed to your customers.

Wow. This is really hard to believe.

Last edited:
qcfmike:
You just went to the doctor??? :roll: Good to hear it is working though!
I’m not a big fan of going to the doctors, so I had been trying some dietary changes as well as a few other things to try and remedy the situation. The problem was pretty minor at first, but just recently got to the point where I needed to see the doctor. Fortunately that’s when the wife’s new health insurance kicked in. I went, they prescribed a cream, and it’s almost gone. 🙂
48.png
eupher61:
Please, tell us the name of your restaurant, so we can avoid eating there.

Seriously. Just to the doctor THIS WEEK? That’s just plain wrong. You had a health issue, on your hands. Hard telling what sort of things were passed to your customers.

Wow. This is really hard to believe.
Do you not wear gloves when preparing foods? As minor as the condition was, I always used gloves while preparing food. Is this not common practice where you’re from? None of my employees even knew about the condition because it’s next to impossible to see unless you’re looking for it and I’m always wearing gloves. Talk about harsh judgement, geez.

Back to the people actually interested in the topic at hand. The cream is meant for many different types of skin irritations. My doctor never even diagnosed exactly what the issue was or what was causing it. Could be the latex gloves, could be the soap we use, could be detergent I use at home, food I eat, etc. I asked why it was isolated to a small spot on one hand and he just said some areas are more sensitive than others.

Not really full of answers, but fortunately seems to have found a solution.

Last edited:
medium-strength corticosteroid comonly used ot treat atopic dermatitis and contact dermatitis, plus a bunch of other odd stuff listed on the website that didn’t seem to aplly. Sounds like you had some sort of skin irritation that will b solved by treating the inflamation and avoiding whatever is irritating the skin.

No health issue indicated with glove used . . . not used for any communicable diseases, just inflamation. Even the lymphoma is noncommunicable. Dude, see a doctor more often and avoid unpleasantness and unhappiness.

Last edited:
I did my best to treat the issue myself. There were a few changes I made that helped the issue but I was never able to get completely rid of it. I wasn’t happy to have to get a prescription, but if I wanted a full blown solution it seems like this was my only option.

I did immediate showers after work, constant moisturizing, and a few dietary changes. This helped the problem some, enough to the point where it wasn’t necessary to seek doctor’s help right away. Unfortunately, enough time has gone by and the progress stopped that I decided it was worth a doctors visit. Wasn’t a huge issue, but since it finally felt like it was out of my hands, I took the plunge.

Problem solved.

Last edited:
Back