Continue to Site

Hands beat up from making pizzas everyday?

I’ve worked at Papa John’s for 2 years and sometimes, especially in the winter because of dryer skin, the dustinator (semolina, white flour and soybean oil) makes my hands red, extremely dry, and sometimes causes them to get itchy burning welts for a few hours, especially if I try to soothe them with lotion…it’s like the lotion helps with the dryness and burning, but also freaks my hands out because they’re slightly dry-cracked and irritated. The dustinator is used to help the dough move easily across the counter and take the stickiness out of it so it can be formed, but it also naturally dehydrates anything it comes in contact with. If we spill something like sauce, black olive brine, or anything wet, we pour dustinator on it to dry it all up so we can just sweep it up instead of mopping it and pushing the juice all over the place. The only remedy I’ve found to work is putting FRAGRANCE FREE lotion or body butter on my hands after working with the dustinator for a few hours. Just keep lotion on them constantly, because once they get to the point where they’re red and burning and have super small dry-cracks, it’s a very annoying and painful cycle. I’ll attach a picture of my hand in a flare up. Good luck pizza making. I hope it’s all worth it. It is to me. 🙂

Last edited:
cut white flour products from your DIET and sugar , eat a lot of “TINY TOT” sardines on a big healthy salad , try this for a week and I bet your skin problem will suddenly disappear, a lot to gain NOTHING TO LOSE !!! i live in a very dry climate and also make dough balls all the time,the tiny tots clear my hands from crackly dry every time,

Last edited:
Back