Continue to Site

Will people pay for a better pizza

I understand the poster said that “yeah, but it doesn’t say if he’s making money”

IF you are going to use TOP NOTCH ingredieants and you WILL MAKE EVERYTING FROM SCRATCH…DON’T do what I did my first restauants. GET TOP DOLLAR. FIGURE OUT THE PRICE THAT STARTS TO SCARE YOU…AND THATS THE PRICE TO GO WITH.

My first restauant, we were CRAMMED 6 or 7 days out of the week. Now, it only sat about 65, but we had a wait just about every night. High quality ingredients, from scratch…packed and I NEVER MADE A DIME. I sold it, the guy went up on EVERYTHING, but kept the recipes as is…and I MEAN HE WENT UP!!!. He’s been in business for 21 years now, with quite a collection of toys. And I struggled for 5 years.

GET YOUR MONEY. DON’T BE AFRAID. IF THE PRODUCT IS GOOD, MANY PEOPLE WILL PAY TOP DOLLAR.

Last edited:
But, theres a lot to be said for those posters focasing on market. If you live in an area where pizza is JUST pizza, well then perhaps being a TOUCH superior is enough. If you live in a market that is known for its pizza, like Connecticut or NY…well SUPERIOR HAD BETTER BE superior.

Last edited:
Yes, yes and yes!
Check out Minneapolis for Black Sheep Pizza and Pizza Galactica! These pies speak for themselves and I’d pay double for them! You have to take the time to educate the public to why you do what you do
and they will eventually come in mass and stay!
Can’t get enough of good pizza!
Dennis

Last edited:
And it should go without saying that good food should ALWAYS be accompanied with great customer service. It is absolutely amazing at how few restaurants recognize this.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Last edited:
Superior service can overcome a mediocre food experience.

Superior food seldom overcomes a poor service experience.

Last edited:
I respectfully cannot agree, Nick.

Though both aspects are important, take a gander at yelp. Look at the famous restaurants that have become destination points. Many with reps of having rude rude service, but because the food is so great (or SUPPOSED to be great) people put up with it.

Barring chains, ive NEVER heard of a place with mediocre food that was packed because the help was nice.

Food come FIRST.
Help, second.

Again, it is a goal to make BOTH a good as can be.

Just my opinion.

Last edited:
We had brunch with our son in Athens, Ga Sunday at “The Last Resort” We waited about 25-30 min to be seated, about 10 min after seated to order, about 25 -30 after ordering for food. Food was awesome and reasonably priced. Crab and basil omelet was $7.75 and had a ton of real crab meat. I could not buy that much crab for $7.00 in a grocery store. Although the stop made us late for our final destination onthe trip, we will go back.
My son said the place is like that every Sunday. You can not walk through the crowd on the sidewalk waiting to get in. The staff was polite and all, they just had more than they could handle and evidently it was expected anoung the customers that things were going to take a while.

Rick

Last edited:
48.png
gabagool:
Look at the famous restaurants that have become destination points. Many with reps of having rude rude service, but because the food is so great (or SUPPOSED to be great) people put up with it.
I thank you for a considered disagreement. You make some good points.

I do wish to clarify a piece of my position . . . poor service and rude service are not the same definition where I come from. The Varsity drive-in (not like any ‘drive in’ you have ever seen) gets completely inundated on GA Tech game days. Out-freakin-rageous. The counter staff are brusque, rude, impatient . . . and their service is impeccable. Car hops write nothing down for the 4 cars they see, and get the orders right every time I’ve watched them. Rude and impatient, but top notch in terms of speed, accuracy and helping the prepared customer get what they want.

Rude has become part of their USP, which is what I wonder about some of the places you mention. Exclusive and rude as part of the ‘branding’ and identity of a place is somewhat different than the majority of places (hence my ‘seldom’ qualifier) If you can get legendary food and make mistreatment a part of your identity, then I contend that poor, slow, inaccurate service not part of the expected branding will still kill the dining experience.

Last edited:
I understand your points.

To me, however, SERVICE cannot be impeccable if rudeness is there.

I would rather, anytime, have a server who is friendly, making an effort, courteous and smiling, but maybe not so “on top of things” than a rude, curt, grumpy server who is quick and on top of things.

I want to feel like they LIKE me to be there, not feel like I am a BOTHER.

But, again, thats me.

Last edited:
Ed Debevicks (sp) In Chicago is renouned for their RUDE servers! At some point there is a difference between bad service and “SCHTICK”. Although I do not believe that their servers would be unable to provide top notch service in most upscale dining situations, it is expected in that situation and therefore part of the experience that people willingly pay for. IMO the problem is not rudeness, forgetfulness, impatience, it misplaced or unintentional unprofessionalism. People will pay for a better product, people will pay for better service and people will pay for consistency. Which market pool do you wish to go after? is their enough dollars in your area for you to thrive catering to that pool? If 20% of the people will pay for superior product and service and 80% want price, which do you go after?..In my opinion you need to ask 1 more question…home much competition is chasing both markets? If 7 places are chasing the 80% it splits up to 11.4 % per unit, If you did really well and were able to get double that and get 22.8% of the 80% you would still be better off with 100% of the 20% that will pay for quality and service.

Last edited:
Growing up there I was going to mention Ed’s but that is a world of its own. You pay a premium for great food but also a show. The show being cocky servers that will sit down and eat your fries if they want too. You will never wait for a refill. Your food will be hot and fresh everytime you go there. You will leave full and if you know what you are getting into…you will be entertained. The problem today is when you get that type of server at another restaurant and the food is nowhere near the quality. There are few restaurants that still offer servers a career and not a job. Places in Chicago like Bob Chinns, or Gibsons are two of my favorite and the majority of servers there make a lifestyle choice to work hard hours but in return…they also make low to mid 6 digits while doing it. Yes they are the extreme side of this but it would be nice if the middle of the road servers and other service industry workers would remember that they are in the SERVICE INDUSTRY! Now I am not talking down to anyone here…but please do the job you have chosen. There are jobs to be had…so if it really is that bad where you are at…move on! :idea:

Back