Bread

anyone ever make bread with your pizza dough, got a recipe or direction you care to share (home use…not mass produce…)

Pizza dough is quite dense to make traditional bread…

I’ve used it tho to make some decent burger type buns…

Proof it in a small portions…a 6" pan works great…

Spritz with H20 & sprinkle with basil…

Or make a focaccia style loaf…

Our dough makes a very nice white bread.

I take our large size (25oz) and reshape to a loaf. Put in a standard size bread pan, let rise until top of dough is even with the top of the pan. Bake at 350 for about 45-50 minutes. I like to brush the top with butter when there is about 10 minutes left to go.

I have also rolled the dough out to a long oval (8" wide by about 20-24" long) sprinkle generously with cinnamon sugar and lots of raisins. Roll up and form into loaf shape especially closing the ends where the roll shows. Let rise in pan and bake as before.

bread, rolls, cinnamon rolls, flatbread, and burger/hotdog rolls. Ours was a little denser than the fluffy bagged stuff in grocery stores, which we found desireable. Remember to handle it well . . . let rise fully, keep tops damp/not dried out to maximize rise, bake well. Handled well, it can do good product; probably not superior or optimum for each application, but certainly a very good one.

Do it all the time. Here are my formula/recipe changes:
Double the yeast.
Triple the sugar or add 2-tablespoons of sugar for each pound of flour.
Double the fat/oil in the dough.
Increase the water to 60% of the total flour weight.
Mix the dough until well incorporated, about 5-minutes. Set aside to bulk ferment for at least 3-hours. Turn out of the bowl onto a floured counter top and knead for about 1-minute. Divide the dough into about 18-ounce pieces, form into balls, and set aside to continue proofing for about 30-minutes (be sure to cover with a piece of plastic to prevent drying). A couple of Walmart bags torn open work well).
Flatten or pin out the dough into a rectangular shaped piece about 1/4-inch thick, roll like a jelly roll and place into a lightly greased bread pan (be sure to place the rolled dough piece with the seam side down). Cover with a piece of plastic and allow to proof/rise for about 60-minutes (or you can leave as a round ball and proof on a greased cookie sheet). If proofing in a pan, allow the dough to rise about 1/2 to 3/4-inch above the top edge of the pan. If making a round loaf, after 60-minutes, score the top of the bread loaf by cutting a “#” into the top with a sharp knife or razor blade, brush or spray with water and bake at 400F until golden brown, brush with melted butter as soon as the loaf comes out of the oven. I make this every year for our New Year family get together.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor
Variation: After pinning the dough out into a rectangular shape, brush with water, sprinkle with sugar, then cinnamon, then add orange zest, and chopped walnuts or pecans. Roll like a jelly roll, cut into pieces about 1-inch thick, place into greased cake pans or onto a greased cookie sheet, allowing a little space betewwn the pieces. Allow to proof/rise for 45-minutes, then bake at 400F until lightly golden in color. Allow to cool for 10-minutes, then add a powdered sugar-water icing. These will keep for several days and they “nuke” very well for breakfast.

TDD

Ah…but Tom…you’ve changed the recipe and the original post was for their pizza dough…lol…

I know, I was thinking about that while I was writing my respone, that’s why I started with a pizza dough formula/recipe and built it into a bread formula. A number of years ago during our annual pizza seminar I got mixes for Italian bread, bagels, pizza crust, French bread, and hard rolls. We then proceeded to make pizza crust from each of these, the same could be said for making French bread or hard rolls and even Italian bread from each of the mixes, but when you get into making pan breads, that when you have to begin making some basic formula changes. But for what we call cannon balls, aka round breads, you’re right, any pizza crust dough formula/recipe could be used with decent success.
We sometimes forget how similar the formulas/recipes are for making all of the different yeast leavened breads. Like a pastry dough; just a lot of extra sugar and fat, and then to allow the dough to rise properly, we need to increase the yeast level to compensate for the high sugar level, everything else pretty well stays the same. Most of the breads as we know them are somewhere in between a pizza dough and that pastry dough. Italian bread for example, is really nothing more than a pizza dough with a little extra fat/oil added to the formula, should that really be surprising to anyone?
Thanks for calling me on it.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

I have found that the key to producing soft bread from our pizza dough is a pro-longed (9-12 hrs) period to allow it to slowly rise at 90 degrees.

This can be accomplished (usually) at home by warming the oven a bit (for just a moment) and leaving the oven light on overnight before putting the loaf in the oven. (I bring home excess dough “skins” as I can’t bear to waste them.)

24 oz in a full size pan and as Steve said, the dough should be at the top of the pan after rise and before baking (the next morning).

Put dough in “warm” oven and leave oven light on before you go to bed.

When you wake up, 30 or so minutes at 350-375 degrees does the trick. Fresh bread for breakfast (french toast, etc.).

The cinnamon-raisin thing sounds really good as well. Gonna try that next. We’ve also been experimenting with cinnamon raisin bagels with a variation of our pizza dough recipe. (whole 'nuther subject)